Weird or not so weird hunting dreams

Finch

WKR
Thought this would be a cool discussion. I'm sure all of us have had varying types of hunting dreams over the years since we love this stuff. Care to share any?

1. When I was 10 or so, I dreamed my dad and I were floating down the river in a canoe with a nice whitetail in front of the boat. I asked him about it a while later and he said it never happened. I thought for the longest time that it was real.

2. Various dreams of not getting the shot or making poor shots on deer. Also dreamed about making a poor shot on a nice bull which actually happened a couple years back. Still heartbroken over this and think about it often.

3. Before this spring turkey season, I dreamed my brother and I were riding the NF roads trying to find a gobbler. We actually never hunt together for one thing. Anyway, we came upon a gobbler that had another head growing out of his chest where his beard would normally be. Pretty weird one!

Ha! Just kidding.
I wake up almost every morning from really weird dreams. Can’t remember them more than a few minutes but do remember that hunting is a common theme. My wife wants me to get a sleep study and see a therapist.

Not weird, but in my younger years I’d have dreams often about shooting a nice whitetail with my bow. After I actually shot a big one, I stopped dreaming about shooting a big buck.

I thought that was interesting as I must have filled a hole in my subconscious by actually killing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Not weird, but in my younger years I’d have dreams often about shooting a nice whitetail with my bow. After I actually shot a big one, I stopped dreaming about shooting a big buck.

I thought that was interesting as I must have filled a hole in my subconscious by actually killing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting!

OMB

WKR
Every now and again, I'll have a recurring dream where I have a large buck super close and the trigger on my rifle is super hard to pull to the point I either can't get it off or I miss wildly. I've probably had some version of it for 20 years at this point.

TWass23

FNG
I have alot of dreams of killing a nice whitetail buck back on my family's property in MN. Probably happens since I havent hunted there since 2012 when I moved away. Usually I'll have alot of waterfowl related dreams after scouting an awesome water hole.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Now that you mention it, I can't think of a single dream I've ever had about hunting. But I can sure remember many other dreams I've had, even dating back to the time I was super young. It's kind of amazing (and odd) what the mind and subconscious can come up with for dreams.

KurtR

WKR
When I was a kid the night before going goose hunting I would dream I could hear geese flying by the window in my room.

I have dreams where I'm trying to go elk hunting but never quite get there, like can't find my gear, waiting on folks, stuff like that. Very frustrating dreams.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Every now and again, I'll have a recurring dream where I have a large buck super close and the trigger on my rifle is super hard to pull to the point I either can't get it off or I miss wildly. I've probably had some version of it for 20 years at this point.
I've had some as well. Kinda like those dreams where you need to punch someone and your fist won't move or stops short.

Ladd

FNG
Classified Approved
I drew an awesome NV mule deer tag 11 years ago and the thought of the hunt consumed me and my dreams. I had a recurring dream of taking a 30" buck in a bowl from the other side. The 5th day of the season we were looking at a 3-pt feeding just as I pictured in my dream. I let it crest the hill and we got a great look at him and he was 30" wide with cheaters. Too late to take a shot. Five days later we found him again. He was 31" inside and 33" outside to his cheaters. Just a 3-pt though but with two cheaters and double eye guards. Sometimes dreams are there and we don't listen.

Btaylor

WKR
Mine is a recurve bowhunt for penguins. Arrows with rubber blunts. Like whack a mole for bowhunters, whack 'em and watch them go sliding across the ice.

Trees91

WKR
This past September I got a new to me fieldcraft. Sighted it in and shot a bit with it. Night before deer opener, sleeping in my tipi, I had a dream (maybe nightmare) that my fieldcraft wouldn't feed. The round would come out of the box and pop straight up past the feed rails. Turns out it works fine, shot my buck opening morning just a few minutes after sunup.

Last edited: