Welcome HuntScore--New Research Service

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders, @mhabiger (Matt Habiger) has been a member since early 2021. He spends time on the forum and knows what we're looking for in researching hunts.

He launched HuntScore recently covering 12 species across 12 Western States. Besides the research, Matt's also got a way to help you get tags, including turn-back and leftover (hot commodity in 2021!)

Here's some more info he sent me. Give HuntScore a click here or see their banner on our homepage here

Whether you're just looking to fill the freezer or you're a seasoned big game trophy hunter, you'll find the HuntScores for different units very helpful. HuntScore ranks each unit and species by nine different criteria. You decide what's important to you.

HuntScore has a suite of tools to make it easy for you find your next hunt. HuntScore aggregates draw, harvest, elevation, weather and other important datasets to rank each unit and draw. User can build their own rankings, with tables that allow you to quickly sort and filter according to your own criteria. In addition to finding your next tag, HuntScore have a reminder and alerting system that you can customize so you don't miss an application deadline and returned tag or leftover tag opportunity.

PastedGraphic-1.png

PastedGraphic-3.png

PastedGraphic-5.png

Give HuntScore a click here or see their banner on our homepage here

Give HuntScore a Rokslide "welcome" and hit them up with any questions below.

Last edited:

mhabiger

FNG
Welcome! I'm going to have to check out what your offering since I've blanked out in almost every draw this year

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the welcome! Colorado and Idaho will have some tag opportunities through returned and leftover tags so that is always an option. The tags sell out in minutes so you'll have to camp on the website to try and be the first one to buy but the site will send you alerts so you know what tags are available and when. Wyoming leftover tags are currently available OTC. Looks like doe/cow tags only but not a bad option if to fill the freezer and scout a unit that you might hunt later for buck/bull.

1626474506810.png

mhabiger

FNG
Any idea when you'll get California statistics?
Not entirely sure yet. CDFW is analyzing my request for draw statistics. I'd say it will be within the next 30-60 days if it follows most other states (after request acknowledgment). Call me an optimist (or deranged) but I'm gonna assume California will be like the others!

mhabiger

FNG
Hi Matt,
Congratulations on your recent launch!
I'm currently a GoHunt user, what are the differences between your service and what GoHunt provides?
Great question!
HuntScoreGoHunt

Draw Odds
  • 1st choice odds and 2nd, 3rd choice odds (going live Monday)
  • 1st choice odds by bonus/pref pt
  • Quota/App trends
  • Table filtering
  • 1st choice odds (I'm not sure if they have 2nd/3rd so on)
  • 1st choice odds by bonus/pref pts
  • Quota/App trends
  • Map filtering
Harvest Data
  • Harvest trends for limited entry and permit hunts
  • Harvest trends for limited entry and permit hunts
Over the Counter Opportunities
  • Filter units with OTC oppty
  • Filter units with OTC oppty
Unit/Species Information
  • Access, species and unit information varies by state depending on what information a state has published
  • All this info is freely published on the site.
  • Some is extremely comprehensive, others are light to nonexistent today.
  • Not sure how they source their information or the degree of completeness across states
  • Appears to generally have basic information for most units
Elevation Information
  • Detailed elevation information
  • Basic elevation information
Weather Information
  • Detailed weather information
  • Basic weather information
Trophy Information
  • Trophy score currently only available in MT, CO and ID
  • Basic trophy information available for units and species
Reminders/Alerts
  • Setup text and email reminders about application, preference point and otc/leftover dates
  • Setup text and email alerts about leftover and returned tag opportunities (currently cover WY, ID, CO)
  • No similar service
Mobile Maps
  • Partnership with HuntStand for 1 year free ($29.99/yr afterwards)
  • Just released mobile mapping app
Desktop Mapping
  • Basic layers for species, units, fires, elevation, etc..
  • HuntStand offers detailed desktop mapping application
  • Detailed desktop mapping application
Content Creation
  • Write a story/blog for us and get paid for as long as it is posted
  • Users can submit stories
Discounts/Giveaways
  • HuntStand 1 year free
  • 20% discount on Grakksaw Gear
  • Get $50 coupon for their store
  • Sweepstakes/Giveaways
States Covered
  • Goal is to cover entire US
  • Should be at parity with GoHunt by end of August
  • Western US
Total Cost
  • Year 1 cost - $25 (with code ROKSLIDE and not current HuntStand Subscriber)
  • Afterwards - $80 per year ($50 for HuntScore and $29.99 for HuntStand)
  • Year 1 cost - $99 ($149 but receive $50 coupon for store)
  • Afterwards - $149 per year

Overall, HuntScore has some features GoHunt doesn't have, on the other hand GoHunt currently has more complete unit descriptions and trophy information. HuntScore is 25% of the cost in year 1 and ~55% the cost afterwards.

What you'll see from HuntScore over the next 12 months is more services/features, information discounts and partner discounts. Ultimately we want the tag and application process to be as easy as possible. We also want finding information and staying up to date on the information to be simple. So we are building features to make all that happen. WRT information discounts, we want subscribers to be able to help us fill in missing information and provide tips to other subscribers and receive discounts against their subscription.

Finally, I have no intent to do giveaways or open a store (other than offering some branded tshirts/hats/stickers). Instead we just negotiate discounts with quality brands. The more we grow the easier it becomes to negotiate discounts. We have two great partners today and we are working on more in the future. The goal is to always have enough partner discounts that a HuntScore subscription is more than covered by the cost of gear a subscriber might buy in a given year.

Hey Roksliders, @mhabiger (Matt Habiger) has been a member since early 2021. He spends time on the forum and knows what we're looking for in researching hunts.

He launched HuntScore recently covering 12 species across 12 Western States. Besides the research, Matt's also got a way to help you get tags, including turn-back and leftover (hot commodity in 2021!)

Here's some more info he sent me. Give HuntScore a click here or see their banner on our homepage here

Whether you're just looking to fill the freezer or you're a seasoned big game trophy hunter, you'll find the HuntScores for different units very helpful. HuntScore ranks each unit and species by nine different criteria. You decide what's important to you.

HuntScore has a suite of tools to make it easy for you find your next hunt. HuntScore aggregates draw, harvest, elevation, weather and other important datasets to rank each unit and draw. User can build their own rankings, with tables that allow you to quickly sort and filter according to your own criteria. In addition to finding your next tag, HuntScore have a reminder and alerting system that you can customize so you don't miss an application deadline and returned tag or leftover tag opportunity.

View attachment 307581

View attachment 307582

View attachment 307583

Great

Warmsy

WKR
I'm very tempted. Let us know when you get California?

Also. I looked around at a couple random units and the math on the odds was off. It said 0 hunters or zero success, contradicting the numbers given. I noticed you had average temperatures in those. They weren't filled out. I think that's a great feature. Will that be fleshed out in the future?

mhabiger

FNG
I'm very tempted. Let us know when you get California?

Also. I looked around at a couple random units and the math on the odds was off. It said 0 hunters or zero success, contradicting the numbers given. I noticed you had average temperatures in those. They weren't filled out. I think that's a great feature. Will that be fleshed out in the future?
Can you hit us up at [email protected] with the units and/or species you saw zero hunters /zero success for?

There are some states/species combos where states don't collect data sufficient to compute success. So its possible that could be the issue. In those cases we fall back on harvests per square mile if we dont know the hunter numbers and that is benchmarked against all other units for that species. So you might see a success score even though we dont know the true success rate. Regardless, happy to dig in and see if we have an issue.

Weather data has been a little frustrating and I'm likely going to switch away from weather station data to grided historical forecasts (best forecast data National Weather Service publishes). That will yield 100% coverage across all elevation ranges for all detailed variables (temp, snowfall, wind speed and direction and precip). We should make the switch by the end of August.

Will definitely post here when we get Cali draw data. Just got Washington data today and Oregon yesterday so that should show up on the site over the next two weeks.

Warmsy

WKR
When I first visited the site. I chose random units in (Colorado I think) and I cannot recreate finding those lacking units. I looked at several just now, and they all have the statistics. Its looking real good overall. Maybe I clicked on a fluke unit. Great job man!

I've always had trouble trying to find weather data for the areas I hunt.

Shane_S4

FNG
Thanks Robby! Happy to be a part of Rokslide. We now cover 12 states (still working with agencies at CA, OR and WA to get draw data).

For Roksliders, use the code ROKSLIDE and get your first year 50% off.
Very cool. Im a data nerd so this is perfect.

mhabiger

FNG
Couple of data updates:
  • California draw data has been added (2018-2020)
  • Oregon draw data has been added (2019-2021)
  • For Washington, I'm still going back and forth WDFW...maybe I'll have that by EOM
We also pushed a couple of new features:
  • Previous hunt messaging
    • Users can add previous hunts, add a tip to share and choose if they'd like to share their contact info so other members can reach out
  • Credits for knowledge program
    • Users can post photos, review scores and suggest edits to access, species and terrain info on the website and earn credits up of up to $30 per calendar year. Credits are applied against the subscription cost.

wild_ryno

FNG

View attachment 307581

View attachment 307582

View attachment 307583

Welcome