West Virginia

vdeal

FNG
A little more input from a native West Virginian. Cranberry Wilderness and Backcountry had a black bear sanctuary for years where hunting was off limits in order to build up the population. The sanctuary has been phased out. Cranberry is the most distant point from a road in WV and is a unique place. I've seen bear in there but you won't find any vistas.

Dolly Sods and North Fork Mt aren't quite as close as @Ratamahatta makes them sound. Dolly Sods and Roaring Plains are on the Allegheny Front and North Fork Mt is the next ridge to the east and in the rain shadow of the Front so it is a much drier area. I really wouldn't want to hunt on NFM - there are much better places. Dolly Sods and Dolly Sods North while all part of the wilderness are very different with DSN having a more western feel at times with wide open spaces (at least for the east). The entire area of DSN and Roaring Plains sits on the highest plateau in the eastern US and has it's own weather.

Another gem here is the Seneca Creek Backcountry with a beautiful trout stream with reproducing native trout and some nice waterworks and falls.

Canaan Mt boasts several highland bogs and many trails favored by mountain bikers. Earlier this month I saw some bird hunters in there.

There are many more places in WV to explore some of which you won't really find much about online - you just have to be here a while and learn the area.

How is the Monongahela National Forest or the Dolly Sods or Cranberry Wildernesses to hunt? Pretty rugged country? Anybody have experience there

All our national forests that are managing the timber stand, has pretty good hunting. In areas that have been designated wilderness, there has been 20 years plus with no habitat improvement. So, the Cranberry, much of the Williams, and sods offer more scenic value then hunting. I grew up hunting the Cranberry and Williams areas. There was a time it was really good. Those times are gone sadly.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
A little more input from a native West Virginian. Cranberry Wilderness and Backcountry had a black bear sanctuary for years where hunting was off limits in order to build up the population. The sanctuary has been phased out. Cranberry is the most distant point from a road in WV and is a unique place. I've seen bear in there but you won't find any vistas.

Dolly Sods and North Fork Mt aren't quite as close as @Ratamahatta makes them sound. Dolly Sods and Roaring Plains are on the Allegheny Front and North Fork Mt is the next ridge to the east and in the rain shadow of the Front so it is a much drier area. I really wouldn't want to hunt on NFM - there are much better places. Dolly Sods and Dolly Sods North while all part of the wilderness are very different with DSN having a more western feel at times with wide open spaces (at least for the east). The entire area of DSN and Roaring Plains sits on the highest plateau in the eastern US and has it's own weather.

Another gem here is the Seneca Creek Backcountry with a beautiful trout stream with reproducing native trout and some nice waterworks and falls.

Canaan Mt boasts several highland bogs and many trails favored by mountain bikers. Earlier this month I saw some bird hunters in there.

There are many more places in WV to explore some of which you won't really find much about online - you just have to be here a while and learn the area.
Yeah I haven't seen a lot of good sign up top on North fork, there is sign just not good sign. Water is hard to come by once your up on the ridge so I'd say that plays a big part.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

All our national forests that are managing the timber stand, has pretty good hunting. In areas that have been designated wilderness, there has been 20 years plus with no habitat improvement. So, the Cranberry, much of the Williams, and sods offer more scenic value then hunting. I grew up hunting the Cranberry and Williams areas. There was a time it was really good. Those times are gone sadly.

For me hunting becomes more about the place than anything..... I’m trying to find as much vastness of backcountry as I can in the east especially within 6 hours roughly of the Allegheny National Forest

I’ve spent a little time in WV, mostly the northwestern part, when visiting my in-laws in the Pittsburgh, PA area. I will say this, I’ve probably seen more whitetail deer there than just about anywhere else in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with that, Im from Pa but work in that part of Wv. After the snow melts in the spring and the grass gets green, seems like they come out in the hundreds.

vdeal

FNG
Another plus if you're in Lewisburg is that you can be down to the Mt. Rogers NRA in Virginia in a few hours. You've got VA's high point plus vast open areas in the Crest Zone. I always enjoy going there.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
There are places very close to Lewisburg where you can get in the woods a mile or 2, maybe 3 deep and be away from most people as far as deer or bear hunting goes. Most people out here dont even go a mile

OP
P

pete

Lil-Rokslider
There are places very close to Lewisburg where you can get in the woods a mile or 2, maybe 3 deep and be away from most people as far as deer or bear hunting goes. Most people out here dont even go a mile

Good to know, hiking further won’t be a problem.

Thanks for all the good info folks, I appreciate it. We should know in about a month if we are going to make the move, wish I knew now though.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Despite the problems with the opioid epidemic and poverty, I think West Virginia is a pretty good place to raise a child. The outdoor opportunities are limitless.

4b0231e96bdeba6254621adfcdefb159.jpg
1bdac6f78bbbf5ed105dd1cee6a25fe6.jpg
dd8fb38eb25b1565fc625a4d5993e397.jpg
ce4b6a19abe6a5dc6bf7cbc68edc1615.jpg
4acdf276862d7c73471059a9fa8c7e37.jpg
0c3bb3f061cb1140202a7c18f8fcfacd.jpg

1c8f8c172cfe62dd103e14592428dc2d.jpg
74df8683bb1c713cb120c6a07187ac4d.jpg

Despite the problems with the opioid epidemic and poverty, I think West Virginia is a pretty good place to raise a child. The outdoor opportunities are limitless.

4b0231e96bdeba6254621adfcdefb159.jpg
1bdac6f78bbbf5ed105dd1cee6a25fe6.jpg
dd8fb38eb25b1565fc625a4d5993e397.jpg
ce4b6a19abe6a5dc6bf7cbc68edc1615.jpg
4acdf276862d7c73471059a9fa8c7e37.jpg
0c3bb3f061cb1140202a7c18f8fcfacd.jpg

1c8f8c172cfe62dd103e14592428dc2d.jpg
74df8683bb1c713cb120c6a07187ac4d.jpg

It’s so important to get the kids into the backcountry to show them what’s really beautiful with our world especially in today’s world