Western Mountaineering Kodiak Vs. Feathered Friends Ibis

gelton

WKR
After two elk seasons that saw temperatures above 10K ft. plummet to 9° on one trip and 0° on another I will be retiring my Marmot 15° bag before next season. I have narrowed my choices to two zero degree bags offered by two stellar (from what I am reading) companies - western mountaineering and feathered friends. However I keep going back and forth in my mind between the two and was hoping some of the people here might have owned these bags in the past and can chime in.

From what I can tell here are the major differences between the two as far as I can tell:

Western Mountaineering Kodiak is slightly lighter by 3 ounces.

WM Kodiak is more breathable.

Feathered friends Ibis is more water resistant.

Feathered friends uses buttons instead of Velcro to hold in the neck baffle (minimal but still important).

Feathered friends material seems to be a little more durable and longer lasting than the DWR used on Western Mountaineering.

Also, any recommendations on where to buy one or the other would be appreciated as well.

If buying from Feathered friends be sure to ask first where the Ibis is made. Reason being, i bought the Feathered friends DayBreak Hooded puffy and the label on the jacket said made in China when it arrived. Fit and workmanship was nothing to write home about. One sheep trip and feathers were coming through the material constantly. Have since purchase the kuiu SD and it is night and day in fit and quality. Don't own one of Feathered friends bags but sure would be would inguiring about it's material and construction before purchasing. Did look at them at the same time as I bought the Daybreak. But sure glad I went with the Zpack bag instead.

If you get the Kodiak, might as well get the GWS version of it. You can't go wrong with WM bags... True to their temp ratings, lightweight and top of the line.

I've never used FF, but have heard good things about them as well.

I bought a Feathered Friends bag in 1994 and I am still using it. I just can't kill this thing. I don't remember the model, but my opinion is you can't go wrong with a FF bag. WM stuff is also highly regarded, so I don't think you would make a bad choice with either.
Good luck.

Quality is the same between the two. Flip a coin.

I'd avoid the WPB shell on the Ibis (and the GWS on a WM bag). Seam holes still leak, and all the less breathable shell will do is keep moisture inside bag on multiday trips.

i wanted a FF..but the option to go to an actual store to try a bag gave the WM the nod. plus.. i found my bag in oregon..the land of no sales tax. and it was on sale. 20%.

so the money savings sealed the deal.

Thinks it's going to be western mountaineering kodak due to the weight savings, breathability and the fact that a local store will order one up for me that I can inspect before purchase, I'm sure both are excellent bags though. Just can't see adding weight to the pack when I am doing everything I can to lighten the load.

Back