Western Mountaineering Monolite as overbag?

Anyone using a monolite or similar western mountaineering or other bag as an overbag? they are just shy of a pound and rated to 40*. based On that EE article / chart, that should theoretically add ~30* of comfort to a primary bag.

Have you tried it? I am curious how it worked out for you.

BBob

WKR
MLD Spirit Quilt. Something to consider: Down on top of down isn’t the best setup in freezing weather.

“Many users of the Spirit Quilt use it on top of a 2-3 season mummy bag, for full winter temps. Doing so helps keep a down inner bag dry. In below-freezing temps, insensible perspiration from your body or wet clothing cools as it moves through the sleep system. Some of that perspiration condenses back to liquid water near the colder outer surface. Using a synthetic quilt over a down inner bag, holds more of that moisture in the faster drying synthetic layer, so the down bag stays dry and the synthetic quilt dries fast and retains most of it’s insulation when wet.”

rcb2000

WKR
This MLD might be the answer to my problem.
Last two hunts, I have woken up with condensation on top of my bag.
First an Enlightened Equipment Synthetic, and then this year a Western Mountaineering Badger. I think I just push out more moisture than most at night.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Your overbag should be synthetic, not down. Moisture will push out into the synthetic and save your down from outside moisture as well.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I have a synthetic EE 40 degree quilt for an over bag. My down quilt is a 10 degree model. I was camping in a 9 degree night and had to use the over bag. I was fine with the over bag.