Western Mountaineering Opinions

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
I just took shipment of the WM kodiak today. I've been eyeing them for a year now. I've fondled some of the higher rated bags at the local outfitters. I am very impressed the product out of the box. Do you guys find these bags as impressive as their billing?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
They are all I’ve used since I got my first WM bag back in 2001 I think it was.

Everyone thinks they are this huge company but they are a small shop in San Jose, CA. I’ve been there, and they make everything right there in that little shop. The guys and gals are just awesome folks and avid outdoors people. You can tell their passion is what fuels their amazing products.

DESERT ED

FNG
Yes. They are really nice bags. I’ve had the Ponderosa for a bit now and love it. Open it up for warmer weather.. long undies and full zip up for really cold nights.

I have had an antelope for years. Probably 250 nights in it now. I was hesitant to pay for one, but I think it is honestly one of the best purchases I've made.

Lawnboi

WKR
I didn’t believe the hype at all until I got one. I now own 2. I can honestly say they are 2 of the best pieces of gear I own. Many warm nights, no zippers catching. Made in the USA.

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
No question. I've been using nothing but WM for about 10 years and have never wanted for anything more. I did buy my daughter a Feathered Friends bag because I got a smoking deal on it, and it's fantastic as well.

OP
Whitetoptom

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
I looked it over put it in the storage sack and hung it in the closet. I haven't felt bad about it other than hitting the checkout button. I've saved and scratched for a while now and researched it to death. I guess I will see how it does in 4 or so months. I sleep cold so I'd say it could see some action come October.

hikenhunt

WKR
They are top notch quality and their temperature ratings are conservative for me unlike most other bags. You'll love it

One of the few things I've bought that is 100% legit. 0% hype. I hated like hell to pay that much for a damn bag. So the first thing I did was sleep in it out on the deck, on a cot, and a Pendleton wool blanket, during a blizzard. Passed the test. I even tried to sell it at one point because I dont even need a bag that warm. Both my hunting shelters and 90% of the hunts I do (hot tent, drive truck to camp, unload jeep, ) don't require it...but it sure is nice to know Ive got it if needed.

I have the badger, froze in this past week. I’m 6 2” and got the long. Maybe too much space?

Archery elk September fine, lower 20’s to teens, I froze.

I don’t like the material inside the bag. It’s like sleeping in a plastic bag and it forces me to wear base layers.

I have had my Kodiak for three seasons now. Definitely keeps me in the field longer. I also get better rest every night in it. If I am battling a tough weather day in the elements I always know all will be good once I get back to the kodiak!

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely worth the price tag imo. I’ve been using the antelope for years and not a single complaint

WKR
I have the badger, froze in this past week. I’m 6 2” and got the long. Maybe too much space?

Archery elk September fine, lower 20’s to teens, I froze.

I don’t like the material inside the bag. It’s like sleeping in a plastic bag and it forces me to wear base layers.

Have you had better experience with other bags?

C Bow

WKR
WM , Feathered Friend's are great products i own both and I just bought a Nunatuk that I am taking on a sheep hunt this fall I wanted a center zip bag It is awesome quality I am impressed with them