Western WY rut timing?

J-Daddy

WKR
Looks like I'll be elk hunting in the Boulder, WY area this year...What's the typical timing when the rut really heats up out there in the western section of WY???
I'd like to try to hit it when the bulls were really being vocal so I was thinking about the last week of Sept. Hunting with a buddy of mine out there and he said normally they are cranking up towards the last part of Sept.
For the guys who've hunted in that general area is that the time frame you've seen?

weaver

WKR
This past season i hunted in idaho within 80mi of wy border. Really started getting vocal around the 14th i believe it was. The 3rd week of sept they were most vocal were i was at

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
This can vary greatly from year to year as we all know. One year I killed a bull while he was screaming his head off on the 3rd day of season. All the bulls were talking like mad that year right away the first two weeks. It was a crazy year. Another year the 17th-21st was great. Another year the 23rd-27th. I would put my money every year on the 15th-23th and hunt that time hard for the best rut times imo. They tend to average pretty good around then.

OP
J-Daddy

J-Daddy

WKR
I was planning on going around the 3rd or 4th week of Sept...BUT my buddy has some other guys coming into town on Sept 20th for an antelope hunt that he's kinda guiding so it looks like I'll have to go before then and end the hunt before the 20th.

Elk_Addict23

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted that area quite a few times (around Boulder/Pinedale) and have tagged out each year mostly on rag horns.

To answer your question, I've been there as early as Sept 15th and as late as Oct 8th and would have to say that in my experiences, we've heard the most bugling the last week of Sept to first week of Oct.

PM me if you need any more info.