What 7mm caliber for 20” barrel?

I have a new savage long range hunter chambered in 7mm mag. It’s heavier than I’d like so I was going to put a 20-22” carbon barrel on it (has a 26” semi heavy steel barrel from the factory).

While I was at it, I figured I’d change calibers to something that may be more efficient in a 20”-22” barrel (putting a can on this rifle for hunting)

Any suggestions? I reload but it would be nice to have a caliber that wasn’t impossible to find factory ammo.

I’ll pass on a 7-08 because I already have a 20” 308 in a carbon barrel. Looking for a caliber with a little more power than a 308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you change bolt faces on Savages? You have a magnum bolt face and a long action currently. If you can get to a standard bolt face and a magazine that feeds standard cartridges, I’d look at the 280 Remington or 280 AI. In that case, I’d go with a 22 inch barrel.

Are you set on 7mm? new barrel on a long action will give you limitless possibilities! I don't own a Savage, but IIRC the bolt face is easy to change? If so a 280, or 280 AI would be good. if no bolt face change look at the 7 WSM or 7 SAUM. the long action would really make those nice to reload for, but easy enough to find factory ammo. short mags go well with short barrels.

OP
T
To answer a few questions, I’m not opposed to changing bullet diameter but 7mm is pretty easy to find bullets for so figured I’d stick with it

I’m not sure what it will take to change the bolt face, I’ll look into it. May just be a pin?

Will calibers like 7wsm and 7saum have feeding issues in a long action? Will those calibers be worth it in 20-22” barrels?

bpctcb

WKR
I suggest cutting down your current barrel to 20” and have it threaded for a suppressor. The 7 mag will work fine with it and the money saved will go a long way towards paying for a suppressor.
I cut my 300 mag down to 20” and love it with the suppressor.

BP

To answer a few questions, I’m not opposed to changing bullet diameter but 7mm is pretty easy to find bullets for so figured I’d stick with it

I’m not sure what it will take to change the bolt face, I’ll look into it. May just be a pin?

Will calibers like 7wsm and 7saum have feeding issues in a long action? Will those calibers be worth it in 20-22” barrels?

7 wsm without a doubt
I have one that's 22" built on a LA and throated for 180/195s.
I'm getting 2850 with the 195 and 2975 with 180's.
Accuracy is absolutely effortless and feeding is smooth, the wsms are awesome across the board.
Another thing to consider with short cartridges is that they have shorter chambers so there's more barrel to burn that powder

Zappaman

WKR
The larger the bullet diameter, the shorter the barrel-- is the general rule.

I agree the 280 (or ai) would be a good option. Bolds (and barrels) are easy to change in Savages! BUT you already HAVE a 308 in this config so why change a perfectly working 7MM RM? You are basically looking at magnum or big bore options (some good suggestions above) otherwise. If you can get the magazine figured, then there are many larger caliber choices as mentioned.

Personally, I'd sell off/trade the 7MM RM, and buy one of the above for a medium range bore/light weight rifle. But for longer shots, there just isn't a lot you can do when you get under a 22" barrel unless you go to a Barnes (solid copper) load where options open up a little. My Savage stainless with the el-cheapo plastic stock is a WHOLE new gun with Barnes 85G TSX loads (and weighs about 7 lbs with the scope/sling). Deer, pigs, and elk (to about 250 yards) will die with THAT load put in the right place (shoulder).

OR, go short action like I use in my 260ai (or Creedmoor 6.5 will do) where shoulder (bone) shots at 600 yards (from a 7-8 lb gun with a 24" barrel) have 800-1000 ft/lbs of knock down using the right bullet (*and enough hold over ;)

And I will say, scopes have gotten HEAVY so look around for a lightweight scope (and stock), keep it simple and you CAN get a rifle under 7 lbs. where the extra 4" of barrel doesn't mean a lot at that point.

Good luck!

Zappaman

WKR
Trick Question...

Savages are the easiest to DYI for sure, but magazines can be a real PITA. Bolt face isn't hard (as long as you have the right length action- just a simple 15 minutes deal watching youtube). But go change the cartridge and now you MIGHT need to mod the magazine.

The magazine needs to feed the right diameter cartridge. The 7mm RM cartridge (body diameter) has some "replacement" options but WHY (if the OP wants to stay on the 7mm bullet???) He gains nothing from the change ***IF using a shorter barrel***.

And changing caliber is also sticky due to BOTH bolt face AND magazine changes needed. Then there is the action length which can get tricky again depending on the cartridge (where some go short OR long action).

So again... I'd sell off the rifle and just get the WEIGHT he wants. I GET that, and this is why I went 260ai in a maple stock (super lightweight), BUT a GOOD 25" sporter barrel with a very lightweight (12 oz) scope good out to 600 yards on larger game (deer/elk).

OP
T
7 wsm without a doubt
I have one that's 22" built on a LA and throated for 180/195s.
I'm getting 2850 with the 195 and 2975 with 180's.
Accuracy is absolutely effortless and feeding is smooth, the wsms are awesome across the board.
Another thing to consider with short cartridges is that they have shorter chambers so there's more barrel to burn that powder

What powder are you using? Any concerns with the unburned powder from a 22” barrel 7wsm being pushed into a suppressor?

What powder are you using? Any concerns with the unburned powder from a 22” barrel 7wsm being pushed into a suppressor?

RL26
No concerns about unburned powder in my suppressor since it does not have a minimum barrel length with magnums

I'm going 7saum with an 18" barrel in a long action tikka. I've got RL23, and seeing as RL26 is impossible to find, it should work alright. You can't go wrong with one of the short 7 magnum options like the WSM or SAUM running longer bullets.