What age...

SWOHTR

WKR
For a pack or fly in hunt? Specifically for a kid.

Background: I am wanting to do a fly or pack in hunt in the lower 48 “eventually.” Life does not allow for it right now, which is fine. I have a 2 year old son (yes, too early for him now!). Wanting to take him along, but curious what others have experienced. Is 8 too early? 10, 12, 16?

I understand a lot of factors make it challenging for a kid. What about outfitters, what have you all seen for accommodating kid(s) on a trip like this?

Lower 48 elk/deer, likely Idaho, likely rifle.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I have a 2 month old and have thought of this, albeit, for much further in the future. Here is my half baked plan:

Next summer will be lots of hiking in a kid carrier back pack, get them used to being on the trail, probably be doing the same in the following year (almost two then)

Then will come the awkward phase when they can walk a little, but will not be able to hike much, so you're carrying them still....probably do a lot of car camping and site seeing.

4-5 - start more intense hiking again, they walk, they whine

Once they seem more competent, maybe try a 'backcountry' hike-in over nighter, but make it fun, see how that goes.

Once they can handle that, then a bc hunting trip could be an option, but honestly I'd be waiting until they were at least 10-12 where they have maturity to not whine and really want to be there, if at all.

I've read some article about folks who take their kids backpack camping from day 0. Depends on the kid, but geez, they come with a lot of accessories and you rarely hear about the nightmare moments, only the IG shots.

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2 month old and have thought of this, albeit, for much further in the future. Here is my half baked plan:

Next summer will be lots of hiking in a kid carrier back pack, get them used to being on the trail, probably be doing the same in the following year (almost two then)

Then will come the awkward phase when they can walk a little, but will not be able to hike much, so you're carrying them still....probably do a lot of car camping and site seeing.

4-5 - start more intense hiking again, they walk, they whine

Once they seem more competent, maybe try a 'backcountry' hike-in over nighter, but make it fun, see how that goes.

Once they can handle that, then a bc hunting trip could be an option, but honestly I'd be waiting until they were at least 10-12 where they have maturity to not whine and really want to be there, if at all.

I've read some article about folks who take their kids backpack camping from day 0. Depends on the kid, but geez, they come with a lot of accessories and you rarely hear about the nightmare moments, only the IG shots.
+1
BB.jpg

Probably depends child disposition to some extent but the 9-12 months (pre walking) is probably the easiest at any age under about 12 years or so.

That said I know a couple 6-8 year olds who are champs and do a lot better then a lot of adults I know.

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
Thanks for the responses. We take him out all the time - we have a carrier and a wagon, and he loves running and walking the dog.

Are there age limitations or restrictions from an outfitter’s perspective?

AKDoc

WKR
I really appreciate your question...my daughter and son are now both adults, and they still want to go hunting with dad. My son just got his first brown bear this fall with me...he got his first black bear with as well years ago. My daughter has gotten her first moose with me as well as her first mountain goat with me, and she has gone sheep hunting with me several years as an adult and just got one last year.

Outfitter restrictions, if any, aside...I think the number one thing to consider when thinking of age is to remind yourself that beyond safety first, you want your child to have a good time on the hunt with you. That is, you want your child to want to go again with you in the future. Think of it that way...not just age because each child is different. There are times that you don't want to take a teenager!

I wanted my children to want to go hunting with dad again in the future. That was my decision factor about whether or not to take them with me for each hunt...second to safety first of course.

Last edited:

colersu22

WKR
Luke and Becky Moffit which are both admins I believe posted about taking their daughter ( I recall 1 or 2 years old) out last year but I couldn’t find the thread.

Wrench

WKR
I started taking my last daughter at about 6 months. She is tougher than all my other kids, and loves to shoot her #6 bow with me. It's hard to leave her behind without a fight.FB_IMG_1517790635293.jpg20161209_075541.jpg20190701_202058.jpg For a remote trip, I'd want them to be able to enjoy it as much as I did.....so about 8 as a minimum based on my kids maturity.

I think a lot has to do with the kid as far as the enjoyment level goes for them. Now whether they can do it or not is up to you. All my kids have been going with me since they could walk. 5 kids later they last ten years have been a blast with them. My oldest son 12 will go any place a grown man can go. He is only 65lbs so any weight makes it very hard but as long as I keep it under 10lbs he goes everywhere. He is currently saving his money so he can go to Africa when I go. He is 3 for 3 on mule deer bucks with his largest being a nice 160s buck. I can’t remember the last time I left him home. Now his 10 year old brother is just as tough but doesn’t have the love for hunting his brother has. I still take him often but I give him more freedom to choose when he goes. My youngest two daughters are ready to start getting in the mix and I hope to get them more out each year as I give their brothers more freedom to explore.

So if you feel your kid has the ability and drive then it’s up to you. Just remember if you are planning a hunt for them it’s about them. If you are planning a hunt for you make sure they will not slow you down. I try to make sure my kids know the difference