What are the top factors determining where you live?

hunterjmj

WKR
Grew up in Eastern Oregon and spent summers in Montana with my Moms side of the family. Went to college in Nebraska, meet my wife and moved to Montana after college. We love it here. Could probably make more money elsewhere but I'd rather live where we do and make less. Took the older kid shed hunting in the Breaks on Sunday and was back in time for dinner. Wife loves it, kids love it and I love it. Not going anywhere.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Family and work. Now that I have a 1 year old, I couldn't imagine not having family around to help out. Also, I work 1.2 miles from my office. I am in too good of a position to leave. Our roots are deeply planted here. Sad to see what Western Washington has become, but it would be difficult to leave. The hunting sucks, fishing is crowded but we manage to enjoy life.

Years ago I told my wife I was moving to the mountains for elk, deer, lion Barbary sheep and anything else I can draw a tag for she said let’s do it .Bought a place in south central NM , got 5 horses and all the gear to make a good hunt. I hate the liberal politicians in NM, I hate the drugs, I hate the violent crime here but I love the mountains, I love theThe big canyons,the ponderosa pines, the hunting. NM is a beautiful place run by some very liberal stupid politicians.
My Dad wanted to retire to NM 25 years ago. He chose MO, which is a great outdoors state, but I wish he had chosen NM.

I should add, he has a very good setup in MO. 90 acres of good deer hunting and small game (squirrels) and decent turkey and coyote. Good fishing near by too. He can literally deer hunt off his back porch. Closest neighbor is 1/4 mi away and next closest is over a mile. Can safely shoot rifles in nearly any direction and he even has a couple near 700 yard shots. Bonus, the owner of another 100 acres bordering his property let’s him/us hunt it.

Last edited:

7mm-08

WKR
Prior to being retired, we lived where we lived because of employment concerns. I was the sole breadwinner in our house and felt pressure to earn a good income and ensure our family was comfortable and safe. We moved from western Washington to Boise in 2000 and have stayed since then. In the interim, I promoted and moved to Colorado for a year or so and then back to western Washington for my last few years prior to retirement while my wife and family remained in Idaho. Traveling home once a month was no bueno. Like others, we could (theoretically) move anywhere, but Boise has a good climate, good public space (hunting, hiking, etc.) nearby, a reduced population (compared to larger cities), decent access to a mid-sized airport and (at least until the last few years) a decent cost of living. Those are the top factors determining where we choose to live.

Rich M

WKR
Working on going out west, hardest part is finding similar mined people who are serious to drive. 30 hour drive each way, and gear is expensive, no one else is building points. Grass is always greener.
I'm originally from that part of the world, moved away... The mindset is that western hunts are a once or twice in a lifetime thing, not an every year occurrence. Then most guys believe that you can just go buy a hunting license, cause that's how it works up there.

It's a 30+ hr drive from FL too. Worth it to make the run once or twice. When all is said & done, I'll have gone 3 times. Easy hunting compared to ME, NH, VT, FL whiitetails.

During working life, employer kept me where I was living, Chicago. 25 years and I regret staying that long. Had a chance to move after a promotion and jumped on it. Went to Austin, TX for four years. Huge improvement over Chicago (duh) but not a place I’d chose for permanent residence. Outside of Nashville now and it is good here. If you can’t find a way to enjoy the outdoors, hunt and fish here, that’s on you. Will stay another 5 years until my son graduates high school and then we will see. In retirement, near by outdoor opportunity, low taxes, weather, cost of living will all be factors. Hard to check all those boxes. I wish my wife could handle some winter, I’d most likely have my place picked already.

ROKnROAL

FNG
Alberta. Job is here, family is here, love living here. Rockies a 45 minute drive away.

Hunting-wise, Alberta is top-notch, and also I have my Métis harvesting rights in the province, which means I can hunt year round with no tags or limits in about 3/4 of the province. Only endangered/protected species off limits. Haven’t bought meat from a grocery store in six years. Hard to justify moving away from that.

OP
WBrim

WBrim

WKR
I like where I live, but I really like the idea of a few other places. The wife is happy to move, but the job here is steady and done well for me so far. I think it’s time to get a little better idea on where else to try living. Maybe if I have a plan set up, I’ll be ready to go if it works out financially.

Felix40

WKR
Years ago I told my wife I was moving to the mountains for elk, deer, lion Barbary sheep and anything else I can draw a tag for she said let’s do it .Bought a place in south central NM , got 5 horses and all the gear to make a good hunt. I hate the liberal politicians in NM, I hate the drugs, I hate the violent crime here but I love the mountains, I love theThe big canyons,the ponderosa pines, the hunting. NM is a beautiful place run by some very liberal stupid politicians.
Same reasons that I moved to the same place.

The first time I came out on a hunting trip there were two bull elk sparring in the snow in the park. I thought it sure would be cool to live there someday.

Low cost of living helps too. It’s hard to beat having elk in your yard and national forest behind your house.

OP
WBrim

WBrim

WKR
Same reasons that I moved to the same place. Low cost of living helps too. It’s hard to beat having elk in your yard and national forest behind your house.
I think I need to find somewhere like this…

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Access to mountains and ocean and not too many people. Land that will kill me if I don't respect it. Job determines where I live that meets those criteria. My wife is on board, if she was not, well I would live elsewhere.

Moved across Washington state for the wife's grad school. That was 15 years ago now. We stay here now because we have good jobs, bought a house and have kids. If we ever get a state income tax, I would think about moving but until then we will stay.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Family and friends, family business.

As bad a rap as CA get, and quite fairly, I can still hunt, fish and be happy.

Don't commute or drive for work. Get a few otc tags every year. Got the ocean 1.5 hours away and 10,000 foot peaks 2 hours away.

Some day when our parents are gone, my wife and I will probably move somewhere less populated. But we already live in the country, raise beef, grow a big garden and have egg laying chickens.

Life is good, we're blessed.