What are your impressions after watching this Video?

Jon Boy

WKR
Oh no worries shane I want be living off of anyone but myself and I can see your point if I was drawing unemployment etc. Sunday was my first day off in a month between work and school. Throw in selling my plasma for $200 a month and Im well on my way to meeting my financial goal for the trip.

Ill keep you guys posted.

I think its an awesome video,
For me its a juggling act between working my ass of to make everything happen at home and living lifes adventures at the same time.
At 30 I was a serious work-a-holic, climbing the ladder fast for a young guy and I ended up in the hospital with a heart condition that I still have. That changed my perspective a little. Now I try to work hard for 9-10 months a year, play for 2-3 every year and will be retired by 55 if everything works out right.
There's room for working hard and being the "free spirit"

Pretty cool thoughts. Even though it does not "show" someone hunting, to me it does talk about dreams, adventure and that discovery. That dream and discovery for many, includes hunting.

This video also reminds me of a poem they sometimes read at funerals, "The Dash" written by Linda Ellis. Our pastor in church had mentioned it in his Easter service this past Sunday a bit. It's a bit about how we have a birth date and are living our dash until our final day here on Earth. Our lives are often too busy...we can take life for granted at times. No one is guaranteed a "tomorrow" here on Earth. What's really important is how we live our dash.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Jon Boy - it's only a childish dream if you shirk your responsibilities to your family, to society, to you God, etc. to make it happen. You are a perfect stage in life to make a trip like that happen! I am sure it will be awesome and hope you have the time of your life! I wouldn't encourage you to do that if you were going to be leaving your wife or children and giving up your income for 1-3 months straight and neglecting your responsbilities to them. I sure wouldn't want you to do that if you were living on unemployement or food stamps in order to make it happen because then you're just making someone else work for your own pleasures. Not trying to say it's childish to live life to its fullest. I do think it's childish to think that you can live a life looking only for pleasure (e.g. all work no play) and never have to face any responsibilities (or never hurt others due to your lack of responsibilities) but it's also fully possible to go on a 3 month hunting trip without doing any of the above. That's awesome!!!

Larry - I'm sorry to hear of the loss for your dad. Not trying to diminish any lessons learned through that loss or discourage anyone from following their dreams.

Again, I don't want to discourage anyone from living every single day to their fullest. I just think it's important to remember that work may not be our favorite, but it's not all bad. I hope we can all find ways to not look back at our lives and feel like we've wasted it away even if we aren't doing something we love every single day because in general, that's just not possible.

How old are you Shane?

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Come on Darin, my wife actually grew up a mile from Smith Rock, we go there weekly (when I'm not traveling for work) That is the Crooked River that flows through there! LOL The Metolious is further west near the Cascades. Both excellent fishing waters.

My bad... that was about 9867 beers ago! Funny, I had a stack of old pics laying on my desk - this one was in there. I don't remember the name of this route, but I do remember it was 5.11C. We climbed Mt. Hood & Mt. Adams on the same trip then hit a Greatful Dead concert in Portland. That last leg of the journey may be to blame for the memory lapse :confused:
attachment.php

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I probably should have watched the video before I read the comments but sometimes I do things backwards. I have to say I understand Shane's comments and line up with him on this. FWIW, I'm closing in on 38.

sounds like an awesome trip jon boy!
i wish i would have taken more time for things like that instead of being so focused on making money and getting ahead in a career and blah blah.
i was always trying to get ahead, get a raise, more investments, more acreage, etc. but for what? now i bust my ass all the time just to keep up! make the memories while you have a chance cus whe youre old and broken, all you'll have is stories

Hardstalk

WKR
Thanks fillthefreezer! I didnt want to admit to myself that ive dug quite a hole trying to keep first place in the rat race. 4 rentals that are several hundered upside down. 60 hour work weeks out of town away from baby and wife. And I must stay convinced Im living the dream. Im an adrenaline junky. Yet I allow myself a week a year. Yep just a week. To do what I enjoy doing. Quite the reality check. Great vid. Its been in my mind since it was posted up yesterday.

Shrek

WKR
I had the "dream" . A new house on a lake , new jeep , new boat , pretty wife...and lost it all in a flash. I was working 60hrs a week and living for a weekend that was mostly eaten by chores and errands. Lost the job that paid for it all and with the recession hitting there wasn't much to do to save everything.
Now I work about 30 to 35 hours a week by my choice and hunt like crazy. I lost all the "important" material trappings and in return I got my life back. When hunting season comes arround I take off weeks at a time and really get to hunt. I now own an old truck , live in a tiny rental house that is still more than I need or want ( it's helping my son ) , spend my money on toys , and still have a lot more walking cash than I ever did. There is no way in h*ll I would ever put the golden handcuffs on again. Don't get me wrong , I would love to have more money and assets but not at the cost of my freedom.

OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
I really enjoyed reading all your comments. I think every one of them is right on. Even the "marketing class" one. My cousin is going to be taking a 4 week paid sabbatical from the outdoor equipment company she works for and she is going to try to channel her "inner dirtbag" for those 4 weeks.

It is a real balancing act to find your place in the "First world" to allow us to have a few weeks where we can have a "third world" existence to re-align our priorities. Some of us have been lucky enough to have a time period in our lives we could stretch that time out for years. Even if you can't do it anymore. I think it is important to use the memory of that time as our "belay" in life...

I enjoy the perspective of the writer and narrator of that piece. Glad you all did too.

Benny

FNG
Shane...well said my friend. This life we live is but a blink of an eye and I don't believe the end of the road. I believe we are called to be stewards of what we are given. Most account the term "given" to monetary possesions but it's much more than that in my opinion. We all have talents and we are to use those talents. It is hard to use those talents when we are blinded by selfish ambision be that working 80 hour weeks or turning Dick Proenneke and hiding out solo for 30 years. Touch those close to you.

I also believe the way we live life is a choice. You choose to smile when you get in your truck at 5am whether you're heading to the office or on a road trip...everyday we wake up with a choice of how we will effect others.

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
Love the concept of the video of living life to its fullest and not getting so wrapped up in our jobs, possessions, etc. At the same time, I see videos like this and the cynical me sees people who have a tendency to leach off of society. The unfortunate truth is that we live in a fallen, sinful world and we don't get to just do everything we want for our own pleasure. We are cursed to toil and work the land in order to make a living.

Does that mean that we can't appreciate life, live life to the fullest, enjoy every minute? No, of course not! My motto has always been "Work Hard, Play Harder." I try to simplify my life as much as possible while still finding a way to support myself and my family. Do I love my job? No. Do I love the benefits my job gives me? As much time off as I can afford, the ability to allow my wife to be a stay at home mom when we have kids, the ability to own a house and pay the bills? I can find a way to enjoy what I do for the rewards that I reap as a result.

We all dream deep down to get away from it all, get rid of our responsibilities, and live life to the fullest. But IMO, that is a childish dream. Look at the people who "Occupied Wallstreet" to speak out against all those people making all that money by working so hard while they just bummed their lives away protesting things on the street. That's not who I'm going to be.

I guess for me it comes down to living every day of my life to the fullest. Find the little things to enjoy and find those bigger things that I get to look forward to (e.g. hunting season!) :) Simplify if you need to in order to enjoy your life more, but that doesn't make it a good, or responsible decision to just let go of all of your responsibilities to only do the things you LOVE! (Especially if you have a family!)

Some may disagree with me and that's fine. Definitely not pointing a finger at anyone (except maybe those who like to Occupy Wallstreet and such...) Just what crosses my mind when I see a video like that.

well put shanevg. i couldn't say it better if i tried. happiness is relative to the individual. providing for my wife and two sons while trying tobe a Godly husband and father provides me with complete joy and happiness.

Great video...

Finding balance between one's pursuits and responsibilities is more tenable than living in pure recreation for most. A good life gives back to the world through good work too.

shanevg

WKR
I had the "dream" . A new house on a lake , new jeep , new boat , pretty wife...and lost it all in a flash. I was working 60hrs a week and living for a weekend that was mostly eaten by chores and errands. Lost the job that paid for it all and with the recession hitting there wasn't much to do to save everything.
Now I work about 30 to 35 hours a week by my choice and hunt like crazy. I lost all the "important" material trappings and in return I got my life back. When hunting season comes arround I take off weeks at a time and really get to hunt. I now own an old truck , live in a tiny rental house that is still more than I need or want ( it's helping my son ) , spend my money on toys , and still have a lot more walking cash than I ever did. There is no way in h*ll I would ever put the golden handcuffs on again. Don't get me wrong , I would love to have more money and assets but not at the cost of my freedom.

I love the comment Dave! I think ultimately what I'm getting at is that I see a lot of people (not necessarily in the hunting world although there's no reason hunters would be exempt) who want it all. They want the new house, fancy truck, boat, wife, family, best gear, etc. plus all the free time in the world to go enjoy it. Perfect example would be my numerous classmates who are the classic "Occupy Wallstreet" complaining about money and greed while they drive around in 30k cars that they took out a loan for, they still have 6 figures of student debt, and their talking on their iPhones with their $120/month data plan and then they relate closely with these types of videos. We can't have everything! We need to make our priorities in life and make sacrifices for the things that really matter. The video gets the important things right (IMO) but obviously leaves out the sacrifices that someone has to make in order to make those things their priority.

Dave - you are doing things the right way! JonBoy - you too! I guess the cynic in me just needs to put the brakes on the touch feely emotions you get from this sort of video and think about the sacrifices I've had to make and will continue to make to put the right priorities in my life.

BTW Aron - I'm 25.

Shane, I am 27 but have been thinking basically the same way as you since I was about 19. Glad I did it... I do have nice things and I get to enjoy hunts all over the place, but that is because I have sacrificed many other things in my life to make that happen. Some think I am crazy... I don't know, guess we will see when I am on my death bed but I have made it clear to those around me that I will not settle for anything less. Enjoy what little time you have and you should have few regrets.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I probably should have watched the video before I read the comments but sometimes I do things backwards. I have to say I understand Shane's comments and line up with him on this. FWIW, I'm closing in on 38.

I was giving him crap.....we're friends.