What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record* Is it socially acceptable to shoot coyotes and look for sheds on monday since I am stuck at home?
yes, you will not be exposed to anyone else....

I plan on being in the woods for the duration of this lockdown. I good at social distancing if I don't have to work, I spend all of my time off socially distancing myself.

my prediction is the corona virus will hit my local population of coyotes and lions, and if it goes until April it's gonna be tough on bear too.

if you do go shed hunting, be responsible, if you pick one up, pack it out or sanitize the chalky ones you release. i'm going to make the best of this, not gonna sit around feeling sorry for myself, and i'm also not going to be careless being around other people.

I really hope people take this seriously and don't force more restrictions on us with their actions..... avoid people unless you have to be around some (like the store) don't make this last longer than it needs to.

with this being such a pita, let's take advantage of it, take it seriously, and get this rolling in the right direction.

The fastest and least painless way to get back to our lives would be to isolate the at risk population and let the virus run its course.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It just doesn’t affect the at risk population. Several 20-40 year olds are on ventilators. Men are more prone to getting the virus as well. NY alone will be 25k vents short. I’m not trying to be a prick here but people need to be a bit more educated before making such a bold statement.

11boo

WKR
Our grocery store has been hit or miss on meats, I’ve been avoiding it anyway. But I did want to put some more meat in the freezer, my local butcher shop was flush with beef and pork, and didn’t care how much I bought. good alternative to the grocery.

VTJ

FNG
I never said precautions shouldn't be taken, they should, esp. if one is around people or in the 'risk' category .. my job is kinda considered essential .. we know what to do and precautions to take … other than work or going to the store I'm not around many people, I don't like crowds as it is ..so yes, my life really dosnt change …. I never went to bars as I don't drink and went to sit down restaurants very seldom, I go for runs and work out in the house … is this serious, sure, but I wont let it put me into a nervous wreck … a hypochondriac I never have been ..

jmez

WKR
Latest figures out of China shoe a .2% death rate in those 49 and under. Men and women equally affected. Men have been more affected in Italy than women. France has seen more severe cases in the younger group than other countries. All countries showing significant increase in death rates with those that have > 2 pre existing conditions.

Flattening the curve increases the length of the curve. We can't simply shut the world down for three months and just go back to life as normal. That's an irresponsible course of action as well.

You are talking about locking down the entire population. It is easier to lock down the at risk population. Yes there are 40 year olds on ventilators. There aren't and won't be nearly as many of those as there are 80 year olds. The big concern now is overwhelming the health care system. The virus running it's course through the low risk population doesn't do that.

Numbers showing that 80% of people not in a high risk group have mild to no signs. In the low risk group that remaining 20% is not going to be in the severe category. The outbreak is over quicker. You increase population immunity do when the next wave comes it won't be as serious. You have protected your at risk population, you have allowed the world to function in the meantime and not completely destroyed the economy.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

They’re torching the economy to the ground. Everyone I know is now severely affected by COVID - except I don’t know anyone who has it... this is going to end bad.

MattB

WKR
For the record* Is it socially acceptable to shoot coyotes and look for sheds on monday since I am stuck at home?

To give you a sense of things, where we are under a shelter in place order, we are limited to getting medical attention, picking up prescriptions, necessities like getting food and gas....and outdoor recreation like walking, hiking, running and biking. I would think shed hunting and shooting coyotes would fit the bill.

Living life like the virus doesn't exist? Probably not.

MattB

WKR
many are not sofa sitters, you can still go out and enjoy the outdoors and NOT be around a single person... some still go to work on a daily basis because we HAVE TO, but we wash our hands, keep healthy and are not scared crapless by this ...

Not sofa sitters, funny. So you are saying if doing things that are for the societal good doesn't fit your agenda, you are just going to say f-it?

The point is, you can wash your hands, feel healthy, not be scared, and still have and communicate the disease - or expose yourself to people who have the disease. You seem to struggle with the notion that doing all that and still taking socially responsible measures are not mutually exclusive.

Do you work in an industry that is considered essential? Very few people HAVE to go to work through this.

VTJ

FNG
essential, yes, it is and not just to me …. as I said, we take precautions …

I only a few places are on mandatory lock down here, schools being the #1, Bars, eateries, other places did close on their own .. I had to get ink for my printer, Best Buy was still open as were many stores in that area … life for some will go on as usual or as close to it as possible ….. I keep wondering how much of this 'panic' is needless and caused by China .. take precautions for sure, but then take deep breaths (just not around people ..lol) ...

I'll be in the woods tomorrow(Sat) and back to work Sunday (12 hour shift) .........… good luck .....................................

there is this tidbit of news also ....

Last edited:
They’re torching the economy to the ground. Everyone I know is now severely affected by COVID - except I don’t know anyone who has it... this is going to end bad.
the vast majority of us fit that description... None are alone, it's massive. We will come out on the other side.

Think how much compromise you have been through in life.... This is another one, we just aren't making the decision by choice.

It sucks now, but it's a team effort and we may all be better because of it... At least in some regard.

It was a tough winter here, this is bad timing, but look at it like elk season, when it feels impossible, but you also know that if you don't give up, the momentum will change.

I'm looking at it as a huge inconvenience but nothing else, does no good to focus on how bad it is.... There are some families around the world that would love to trade their problems for ours.

Some tough times ahead, but if you and your family maintains health, the rest will work itself out in time

I'm beginning to shift to worring about the EU's stability more than our own. The United States has always shown resilience, and has major, major strategic advantages to accelerate a comeback when this does get past us.

Europe is not as well set up and has its own financial problems. Italy is 5 or 6 days from passing China in total infections at this rate. And at that point their number of dead may double China's. The virus blew past their abilities and now they have the task of bringing it back under control. . . I'm guessing that will be a very difficult task.

RE: COVID-19
Not good nor bad news, but realistic and up to date facts, and my opinion...
God help us. During the press conference today, when a rational question was asked Mr. Trump...to basically ask him to provide the American people some comfort in this time of a truly "Black Swan" health crisis...Mr. Trump attacks the reporter for asking the question. Unbelievable. Once again, our Commander-in-Chief is given the opportunity to provide a logical answer..."Such a lovely question"..."Smart guy, I feel good about it"...."What do you say to American people, sir?"...."I say you're a terrible reporter and that's a nasty question". Good God, the reporter is trying to get a straight answer out of someone who attacks the man, instead of behaving like a LEADER when we are facing a certain recession and possibly a 2nd Great Depression. Two additional reporters ask the same question in a professional manner, and Mr. Trump berates them. It appears DWT is in way over his head, he has zero empathy, and hopefully he shuts up long enough to let his scientific team provide clear and accurate answers and data. After today's shenanigans, I can't wait to see the bloodbath in the S&P futures starting Sunday night and will probably carry us through further down as the week progresses....

The total disregard for "Crimson Contagion" by the Trump administration, the loss of six weeks of preparation, during the Trump "hoax" and delaying acknowledging the reality of COVID-19...the closed door meeting in Congress in late January and the four Republican AND Democratic members of Congress who walked out of the doors of the meeting and dumped a cumulative total of over $12 million in equities 24-72 hours after the meeting. Hanging in public would be too kind, in my opinion but I may be wrong-Kelly Loeffler (R) US Congresswoman from Atlanta whose husband is the president of the NY Stock Exchange, Dianne Feinstein (D) the so-called constant liberal from San Francisco, Richard Burr and James Inhofe. If this isn't "insider trading" which is a direct violation of the Securities Federal Laws...I don't know what is.

We are hundreds of thousands short of ventilators, tens of thousands short of ICU beds, we can't get masks or surgical gowns-yup, I'm a physician and work in the OR everyday. I'm talking with my colleagues in TX, LA, NC, FL and the shortages are inexcusable. I pray for the cancer patients who need surgery or ongoing infusion/chemotherapy and all the difficulties they face in trying to keep up treatment regimens in this time of malaise.

Hydroxychloroquine/Plaquenil, a drug used for decades against Malaria/Lupus/Rheumatoid Arthritis...has been shown in China to be very effective in treating patients symptomatic with COVID-19...but Tony Fauci, fortunately, took the podium after the Orange Man berated a series of reporters and rational questions...and noted that this drug MAY be effective but there are not YET any clinical trials in the USA. From antidotal reports from my buddies in the states mentioned it does seem to blunt the intensity and duration of the course of the infection, with minimal adverse effects. The addition of Azitrhomycin adds to the effectiveness, based upon about a month of experience against COVID-19 with a drug that has been with us for decades. If the clinical trials allow widespread FDA approval, it's dirt cheap and let's pray the double-blinded studies prove it's effectiveness.

It's going to be up to the average American citizen to listen to...Dr Anthony Fauci...whatever he says, then listen and follow his recommendations. Tony Fauci has made it VERY clear that social distancing limits the spread and creation of new cells of the virus. The most effective action we can take is to take two weeks, stay at home, let the incubation period run out.

The virus has been shown in this week's New England Journal of Medicine to live 3-4 hours "in the air", 4 hours on stainless steel/copper, 6-8 hours on plastic/fiberglass, and 24 hours-plus on containerboard/cardboard boxes...Mr. Trump, again, showed no empathy for the American citizenry, only shows his narcissism, and while this Black Swan came out of nowhere and was totally unpredictable, a sane president would not be attacking the press, dragging his feet, changing his story every 3-4 days. We need leadership and this is not like the recession of 2008, it's worse, and we can't print our way out of it with the US Treasury.
And we ain't seen nothing yet. Time to get some sleep. It's been a long week, and the numbers are climbing by the hour.
Buckle down all y'all,
DWD

MtnOyster

WKR
I think Trump is doing a hell of a job under the circumstances that he’s dealing with and I watched that press conference today and I don’t blame the man a bit for going off on reporters asking stupid questions that seemed to be nothing but more attempts to create more panic, did you listen to the questions? That reporter and half of the rest of them need their head knocked off their shoulders for asking some of the most ridiculous questions I ever heard this week with some pulling the race card trying to make the man out to be a racist by calling this Chinese virus out from where it came from.

I cannot imagine how deep of 💩 we would actually be in if Hilary Clinton was the president right now As for our hospitals already running short on personal safety attire I put a lot of the blame on the hospitals for not having the backup supplies on hand (excluding ventilators) for emergencies like this, I’ve got family thats doctors, nurse practitioners and registered nurses that told our whole family that they knew something like this could happen for the last 20 years that our hospitals were a lot to blame for Not being prepared.

I do agree on the congress members dumping their stock , not defending them a bit but I think if anyone is in their shoes they would prolly do the same, there’s people that pay attention to what’s going on in the world that dump stock all the time when things look bad, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out all hell is about to break loose and it’s time to sell when you know it’s fixing to lose.

tdot

WKR
It's amazing how quickly people are forgetting that Trump was denying this until roughly a week ago.

If he was a CEO of a company and he missed something this big, he would have been fired by the board of directors by the 2nd day.

Look, I'm no more a democrat than most of us here... but Trump goes from saying its a hoax a couple weeks back to us being in deep shit this week and he's suddenly taking it seriously. We lost weeks(or months) of planning time to it being a "hoax". With that said, I don't care if it was Trump, Hillary, Obama, Biden, Sanders, W, Clinton, I'd still feel like they were a complete dumbass in their response and call them as such.

I think we too often look at people in positions such as Trump and put ourselves there and think "oh man thats a mistake anyone could make" because lets face it, all we have are whatever news media you follow to go by. The POTUS has advisors, intelligence, etc that surely made him apprised of the situation months ago... thats not only unforgivable, its poor leadership.

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider
It's amazing how quickly people are forgetting that Trump was denying this until roughly a week ago.

If he was a CEO of a company and he missed something this big, he would have been fired by the board of directors by the 2nd day.

He wanted the travel ban almost immediately and was decried as a racist. H1N1 killed 12000 people and is barely a blip in our countries history now. H1N1 killed 1000 people before Obama made a peep about it.....and nobody was crying about it then either.

Status
Not open for further replies.