What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@durangobrad since you don’t have your mind made up here’s some light Sunday reading for you regarding efficacy of mask wearing:

Nice try, but all those studies show are that masks don't protect You from getting it. That's old news and I have definitely never said I thought they would protect me.

Don't know how many times this has been said but masks are for the protection of others, keeping your germs to yourself. Not wearing one is selfish

Face masks are emerging as one of the most powerful weapons to fight the novel coronavirus, with growing evidence that facial coverings help prevent transmission—even if an infected wearer is in close contact with others.

I hope you see the difference now?

9126308d153fc76307c1c62f11555ea2.jpg

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
@durangobrad since you don’t have your mind made up here’s some light Sunday reading for you regarding efficacy of mask wearing:

Not sure the point of that article as it speaks to the effectiveness of keeping the wearer of from contracting the disease. Mask use for COVID-19 is predominantly being recommended to limit the degree to which contagious people shed virus into the environment to prevent the infection of others.

Am I the only one who is shocked that, 6 months into this pandemic, there are people who lack a basic understanding around the public health strategy being employed to limit the spread of the disease?

Attached is an article which provides evidence that mask use is effective in limiting the spread of COVID-19.

Nice try, but all those studies show are that masks don't protect You from getting it. That's old news and I have definitely never said I thought they would protect me.

Don't know how many times this has been said but masks are for the protection of others, keeping your germs to yourself. Not wearing one is selfish

9126308d153fc76307c1c62f11555ea2.jpg

You can say it, another one hundred times....’they’ still won’t get it.

Billinsd

WKR
The times I've been to the doctor or hospital with myself or my kids, which has been a lot, the only time I've had to wear a mask is if me or my kids are coughing, or had the flu, which was me one time. I'm absolutely no expert, however I'm a very critical thinker and masks have always been to help avoid spreading germs is what I've understood. Just my experiences over the last 20 years. It seems like a good idea to stay home or avoid people if sick or wear a mask, especially now. I'm not keen about having to wear a mask if I'm feeling fine, though. I will and do according the what's required. I think businesses and individuals should not be required by laws, though, but I lean heavy Libertarian. Cheers Bill

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
I sometimes usually get very severe asthma with the flu. Before the wuflu, I took extreme measures to avoid getting sick several years ago, which have worked well. Mostly I believe washing my hands more, after shaking hands, using a pen that others have used, not touching door handles has worked great. And keeping clear from people who are obviously sick. Last summer we visited my relatives in the Midwest and ate breakfast at the serve yourself buffets at the motels we stayed at, which I loved. My daughter and I got sick. I'm convinced it's from the buffets and touching something after someone sick did and not washing my hands.

Mike7

WKR
Regardless of what the political/scientific animal the CDC comes up with over the next month for any potential changes in their already provided suggested school opening recommendations, I hope fed politicians realize that the issue should ultimately be decided locally.

Fatcamp

WKR
So, still a nurse in a cardiopulmonary unit. We always have a few covid patients but we are no longer strictly a covid unit. Our hospital no longer has one. We are open to all patients now and doing both births and surgeries. ICU has some covid patients but primarily our typical cardiac, pulmonary, trauma, and OD patients.

Masks and eye shields are required at all times and patients are limited to one visitor per day. Obviously, end of life issues changes that protocol. We get our covid tests back in about 45 minutes and they are taken as fact by our physicians. Most ED admits are tested there and once positive or negative transfered to the appropriate unit.

Masks suck. So tired of it. 12 hours in a mask hauling ass caring for patients sucks. I certainly wear my mask in public as my odds of being an asymptomatic carrier is high. My wife is a biologist and insists on wearing hers as well.

Just thoughts some might find interest in.

I work consteuction. It's been about 110 here for the past week and a half. Masks are supposed to be mandatory on the job, however most wont wear one. About 70 positive cases in the past two weeks on the site. One of my buddies who I work with and is my hunter partner probably has it , and has been waiting on test results for 5 days. He says he has never felt so sick,and hurts so bad it hurts to move his eyes.

Interesting to watch the increase in rates of positivity (more positive cases per total tests) within several states but less severe clinical outcomes. This can’t be explained only by higher rates of younger people being infected. I think it’s at least partially explained by higher levels of vitamin d status among the general US population now that we’re in the middle of summer. Would also help to explain why symptoms were reported to be less severe among homeless populations early on - more overall sun exposure=better vitamin d status.

jmez

WKR
Interesting to watch the increase in rates of positivity (more positive cases per total tests) within several states but less severe clinical outcomes. This can’t be explained only by higher rates of younger people being infected. I think it’s at least partially explained by higher levels of vitamin d status among the general US population now that we’re in the middle of summer. Would also help to explain why symptoms were reported to be less severe among homeless populations early on - more overall sun exposure=better vitamin d status.
Virus may just be less virulent than when it started.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Virus may just be less virulent than when it started.

That would be great news. Definitely a possibility, at least regionally. There a number of different strains at this point, and viruses do tend towards less virulence over time. Less virulent strains are more successful from an evolutionary standpoint as selective pressures will favor strains that don’t kill their hosts.

MattB

WKR
The commentary from doctors that I have seen recently suggests it is a combo of the susceptible better understanding the risk factors and laying low, the increase in testing which accounts for asymptomatic people, and the average age skewing far younger. I watched a video tonight put out by Dennis Praeger and the doctor interviewed said that recently the average age of new cases (not sure the timing/sample) was 31 years old. He made a comment that I might be off on, but he intimated that the death rate of 31 year olds likely has a couple/few 0' to the right of the decimal.

MattB

WKR
Some very interesting news out today about the cholesterol drug Tricor as a treatment for COVID-19. The idiots version is that diabetics and those with high cholesterol provide the virus with lots of feed in the lungs. Tricor apparently reduces the sugar/fat available in the lungs and has been shown to starve out the virus in ~5 days. Sounds like clinical trails are set to start soon. Tje suggestion was that it would result in COVID being reduced to cold in terms of severity.

Time will tell.....

Sdieffen

FNG

This isn't not meant to incite any hate, I love all you fellow roksliders. Can't wait for elk season. I think everyone can agree mountain air does a body good. I attached the above article to show the pivot on covid . Don't care about anyone 's political leanings, but it seems like we are caught in the middle of this crapshow. Appx 40 days until we can shut off the negative news cycle and get back to doing what we live for.

All men die, few men ever really live! Go out and have a great elk or whatever it is you're hunting season.20200510_055631.jpg

Wish we had more governors like SD. South Dakota did it right, never shut down and is in the bottom of the pile of affected states.
That's because it's South Dakota.... One of the least densely populated states. You can't get away with that in other states.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
That's because it's South Dakota.... One of the least densely populated states. You can't get away with that in other states.

Right where we would expect to be, along with most everyone else. Cases should plateau this week and then start to fall again. Will be interesting to see if NY and NJ see a jump in cases again over the next couple of weeks.

MattB

WKR
And that’s why blanket policies don’t work across the USA. Also we are a bunch of bamf’s

As much as I have been on the bandwagon of doing what we can to slow the spread (esp. When we had little knowledge of the disease) I totally agree. To add context, I live in the county where the first confirmed COVID death occurred and was an early hot bed. I applaud that our health officer has been conservative, but I dont think what we are doing is needed elsewhere. Let the data dictate.

Status
Not open for further replies.