Votes: 46 23.7%
  • Suzuki

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Polaris

Votes: 24 12.4%

• Total voters

twall13

WKR
Surprisingly no one has mentioned that Kawasaki's. I bought a used Kawasaki 650I Brute Force back in 2010 and have put some hard use on it. I've never had an issue and have only done normal maintenance.
My father in law bought a couple of new Kawasaki ATVs years ago. One of them has been great, the other one has had constant problems. He's pretty happy with the one that runs well, it seems like a great machine. They just seem a bit more hit or miss on the quality given his experience with the two machines.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

ndfb35

FNG
I have a 2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700 SE and I thoroughly enjoy it. Zero issues or problems and the machine does everything I want it to.

Have you considered a small 50" SXS? Honda has the P500 and the P520. Can go everywhere a 4wheeler can and is much more comfortable. Add a roof and windshield and be better protected from the elements too.

Something like this:
images

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
For a quad I'd go with Honda, but had a grizzly with tons of hours and it just kept running. If buying a new UTV you can roll the dice with any of them, they all have their good and bad stories.
Used market is a crap shoot for these as it's hard to know the history of abuse and maintenance. Some people abuse the heck out of them but are willing to upgrade and repair, which is probably fine. Some prefer to invest as little as possible, which then becomes your problem.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Have you considered a small 50" SXS?
My wife and I went a looked at ATV's today. New Honda Ranchers (Base models with 4x4) were $17,500 for two of them at our local dealership. I got some major sticker shock. We talked about it, and we were both set on just going with a used Honda Pioneer 1000-5. However I started looking into them tonight, and they seem to have a list of common problems as well.

GoatPackr

WKR
My wife and I went a looked at ATV's today. New Honda Ranchers (Base models with 4x4) were $17,500 for two of them at our local dealership. I got some major sticker shock. We talked about it, and we were both set on just going with a used Honda Pioneer 1000-5. However I started looking into them tonight, and they seem to have a list of common problems as well.
Go newer than 2016 and it should be great. They have made some changes to them to fix some of the problems. 22 and newer have the new power upgrades and maybe a few other things in the power steering. When they got it all fine tuned they put it all in the 100-6 deluxe.

Kris

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve asked 2 different ATV mechanics one dealership and one independent both said Honda and Suzuki are most trouble free. I own a Suzuki now because I like the IVT but I have owned a Kawasaki over ten years and ran the shit out of it and really can’t complain just should have sold it a couple years sooner

Yamaha Grizzly 700 w/eps. Without question

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
I’d get this again^ I’m team blue for their deadest reliability.

But truthfully if Buying new, I’d spend more ansd get a can am defender.. it’s technically an UTV so I might be off base with this one.

Lots of models and I’ve seen them in some spots that are fairly rugged. More storage, and you can just transport more.

What problems were you seeing? I've had zero issues and most in the groups that I'm in voice the same. I do see the occasional issue with shift solenoid but that would be the same part on the foreman and probably others in the Honda lineup so not unique to the 500/520.

The shifting is also mentioned frequently but it gets much smoother after the initial oil change and a couple hundred miles.

What problems were you seeing? I've had zero issues and most in the groups that I'm in voice the same. I do see the occasional issue with shift solenoid but that would be the same part on the foreman and probably others in the Honda lineup so not unique to the 500/520.

The shifting is also mentioned frequently but it gets much smoother after the initial oil change and a couple hundred miles.
Sorry, I think you were referencing the 1000-5. Disregard if that's the case.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve owned a 2006 Honda rubicon since new. I beat and abuse it and change the oil every few years. Never a single issue. Goes anyplace. Love the gears vs the prior kingquad noisy CVT. If I was buying today, I would want EPS and IRS. That said, I recently sold a Honda Pioneer 1000 and bought a Can Am defender. Can Am is a much better machine than the Honda. I would look into the can am ATV.
I am currently in the market, but still on the fence I can’t decide between the Honda 1000-5 or the Can-am Defender help me decide lol Thanks. Are the Can-Ana made in USA?

Venom One

WKR
I recently bought a new quad and went thru the same questions. I've owned a lot of Honda and Suzuki motorcycles and quads without any issues so i was thinking Japanese. After researching, a Honda Rubicon seemed to be the way to go. But then I went to a dealership and looked at a ton of quads, and the Polaris was the winner by a wide margin. Polaris wasn't even on my radar as an option, but it's a superior machine. Polaris has benefitted greatly from their experience in the SxS market and it's allowed them to build a better machine.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I have a 28 year old Kawasaki Bayou that has served me well. It is a great "around the property" ATV but I will admit it is getting a bit tired. And it is not 4WD which hampers me a bit out in the mountains. Looking to upgrade soon.