Relocation and property/building advice

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I built our horses loafing shed by hand. Also a good T post driver and some spare time can save you money instead of a tractor. When you get the chance meet your neighbors and pick their brains, see who has a similar set up to what you want. Some of your neighbors might have a tractor they might let you borrow for a case of beer and a full tank upon return. Out in the country it’s best to be good friends with your neighbors.
I dont really have neighbors haha...closest house is over a half mile away. But I get your point and it is good advice.

inkedspot

FNG
We built a barndominium - had the metal building built and then spent a year of weekends building the living quarters inside it. Paid for the living quarters as we went. Dont know if that's an option for you

bozeman

WKR
Dream come true, congrats! I will second:
Get a tractor, all kinds of uses
Plant trees now!

Also add: put water spickets on all sides of your shop

As mentioned trees. Did you look into other banks about the loan? I built my own house a couple years ago as the GC. Had separate contractors for different parts and did all the finish work myself. Maybe laws/rules change by state.

todd238

FNG
Well I finally made my dreams come true and bought 40 acres of land and got a construction loan to build a home.

I'm leaving California behind and I am extremely excited about that. My lady and I will be NV residents here pretty soon as I just signed the deal for the land and the house will be starting production soon.

I already have work lined up as the company I work for has an office out of reno. And it seems like my industry is booming up there right now. (I'm a Carpenter foreman in the union)

Just wondering if anyone has been through this process before and if so what should I expect? And any tips on what I should do to the property first?

I'm having a 1700 sq ft manufactured home put on the property with a well and septic as well as pulling power lines. Unfortunately the loan wouldn't appraise with solar which really sucks because its going to cost me a pretty penny to pull power lines all the way to the build site.

First things I plan on doing is to build a horse shelter, build a shop (or atleast pour a footing and slab for a prefab shop) and start fencing the place. Which is going to be a big job as 40 acres is surprisingly huge.

todd238

FNG
Well I finally made my dreams come true and bought 40 acres of land and got a construction loan to build a home.

I'm leaving California behind and I am extremely excited about that. My lady and I will be NV residents here pretty soon as I just signed the deal for the land and the house will be starting production soon.

I already have work lined up as the company I work for has an office out of reno. And it seems like my industry is booming up there right now. (I'm a Carpenter foreman in the union)

Just wondering if anyone has been through this process before and if so what should I expect? And any tips on what I should do to the property first?

I'm having a 1700 sq ft manufactured home put on the property with a well and septic as well as pulling power lines. Unfortunately the loan wouldn't appraise with solar which really sucks because its going to cost me a pretty penny to pull power lines all the way to the build site.

First things I plan on doing is to build a horse shelter, build a shop (or atleast pour a footing and slab for a prefab shop) and start fencing the place. Which is going to be a big job as 40 acres is surprisingly huge.
Congratulations, I built a house on 5 acres and I would say before you do anything have a plan for a few years down the road how you’d like everything layed out as far as buildings, fencing etc…

Also allow for drainage, build your house on high ground.

Reactions: WKR
In my years in the country, I have found micro- climates on small acreages. It becomes very aware to you driving a tractor in the fields in the evening. Top of the hill can be windy and drifting. Bottom of valleys can be very cold. I suggest putting out thermometers at places you like and note the respective temps. Drifting in the winter can also be issues to look at. Access and wetlands need to be a consideration in road building. Soil types might also be a consideration. Boggy clay areas will take a lot of rock over the years to stabilize.

Just things to note.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Update 10/8/2023

After a handful of setbacks and struggles

The original land lot was found out to be in a legal battle between the two sister who own it. So I got out of that deal, and found a 20 acre lot a few miles north of the original. I preferred the original lot as it was twice the size but this one has a better road into it and the price to pull power is 25k less.

Also I ended up changing the home manufacturer as Clayton homes in Carson city seemed to be a little crooked and dishonest. The new Manufacturer has been a breeze to work with and very helpful.

And last but not least the lender called me on the week of closing and informed me they are no longer doing any construction loans. That was a big setback but I was able to secure a new loan with a reputable credit union and got back on track but it set back closing about 5 weeks.

Now we are closing this week and the project will finally get some forward movement. I just hope to be a resident before the next big game draw deadline. I dont want to hunt CA next year if I can help it.

If it doesn’t have a well drilled I’d get a water Witcher/driller out there and have them check it

get your gutters hooked up to a 5000 gallon tank bigger if you can afford it. Defensible space or water your landscaping.

you build a shop you can get a lot of water off the roof.

It’s dry out there. This winter will be a good one I think but drought in northern Nevada can mean almost no yearly rain.

You’ll want a SXS with sand paddles as well.

Trees that grow well around here are black locust, Russian olive, They Can both be kind of bushy, but doesn’t need a lot of water. You just have to keep after the pruning. Cottonwood, and Silver Maple also do well but need more water.

Reactions: WKR