What Caliber?

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
I own a Tikka t3 lite in 7mm, and a Marlin GBL 45-70 already.. But I am looking at purchasing another Tikka... The only question is what caliber do I go with... It will mainly be for hunting on the mainland for moose and elk but its also all Grizzly country as well... What caliber would you guys suggust? 300 win mag, 300 wsm, or something else?

elkguide

WKR
I have a "few" rifles in the magnum calibers but I seem to always grab one of the .300 Win Mags when it comes time to hunt.

GKPrice

Banned
I have a "few" rifles in the magnum calibers but I seem to always grab one of the .300 Win Mags when it comes time to hunt.

My son just killed his first bull elk with a new T3x 300 Win Mag - it shoots 200 gr Accubonds into a 5 shot one hole group with H4831sc - I switched out the "new improved" recoil pad with a Limbsaver Gen 2 and that made all the difference for him (NO brakes please) Mountain Tactical allow picatinny rail and Leupold PRW rings, Swarovski Z3 - bullet proof package

GKPrice

Banned
You already have magnum and big bore so go with medium bore 9.3x62.

don't know that I'd call that a "medium" bore ? If you're inclined that direction do yourself a favor and buy:

Tikka T3x superlight in 30.06 at Sportsmans Warehouse, then send it to J.E.S. reboring and make a 338-06 then talk with Luke Moffet - with that 22" barrel you'd have a handy killing machine that didn't break the bank and shooting 210 Scirocco or 225 Accubonds you won't ever look back

I would pick up the 300 WSM. Shoot a quality 180gr bullet and it will have no problems doing what you described.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I get less wow'd by my magnums all the time. IMO unless shooting long range (which I don't shoot really beyond 400 yards at animals) there is nothing here in Alaska I wouldn't hunt with a cartridge based on the .308 or 30-06 cases.

You generally get a much lighter rifle and the ability to hold atleast one more cartridge in the magazine (unless using a Tikka which is one of the reasons I don't own a Tikka) and are generally a lot cheaper to feed and practice with than their magnum counterparts.

I mean a 30-06 shooting 180 grainers at 2900+ fps vs 3050 fps from a 300 WSM will hardly be noticeable to any animal that walks....

I mean a 30-06 shooting 180 grainers at 2900+ fps vs 3050 fps from a 300 WSM will hardly be noticeable to any animal that walks....

I know you like to quote that 2900 fps number Luke, but I've messed with 30-06 loads quite a bit. Been shooting and loading that round for years and pushed the limits a number of times. I believe that number IS possible, but only with very specific combinations of bullets, powder, and barrels. I'm positive it also involves loading over SAAMI pressure spec. If you want to push the number out to include those statistically rare examples, I'm sure there are plenty of people getting faster than 3050 from a WSM as well. Just don't want people thinking they can pour the powder to the old '06 until they hit magnum speeds just because Luke did it once. May work... or it may not.

Now that I have said that... I do agree that a carefully tailored handload makes the gap between a '06 and regular factory .300 WM pretty small. One reason why I use a '06 for the majority of my hunting, up too and including grizzly.

Ok, back to the original question. In your shoes I would just use the 7 mag (assuming its a mag?) and 160+ gr bullets for everything, but if you want another Tikka I'd pick the .300 WM over the WSM. No difference in the guns, and a .300 WM will have a better selection of loads and slightly more performance upside. Field difference would be near zero though.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I know you like to quote that 2900 fps number Luke, but I've messed with 30-06 loads quite a bit. Been shooting and loading that round for years and pushed the limits a number of times. I believe that number IS possible, but only with very specific combinations of bullets, powder, and barrels. I'm positive it also involves loading over SAAMI pressure spec. If you want to push the number out to include those statistically rare examples, I'm sure there are plenty of people getting faster than 3050 from a WSM as well. Just don't want people thinking they can pour the powder to the old '06 until they hit magnum speeds just because Luke did it once. May work... or it may not.

Now that I have said that... I do agree that a carefully tailored handload makes the gap between a '06 and regular factory .300 WM pretty small. One reason why I use a '06 for the majority of my hunting, up too and including grizzly.

Ok, back to the original question. In your shoes I would just use the 7 mag (assuming its a mag?) and 160+ gr bullets for everything, but if you want another Tikka I'd pick the .300 WM over the WSM. No difference in the guns, and a .300 WM will have a better selection of loads and slightly more performance upside. Field difference would be near zero though.

It is true I have only gotten that 2900 fps speed from the only 2 30-06 I have tried it in.
Likely very unsafe and will never kill anything other than your face......skip the 30-06 and go magnum!!!

Or you can just get a 210 grainer to go 2800+ fps from a 21" barrel off the 06 case as well, but likely equally as risky.....

Last edited:
OP
BCBowtech

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
Had a 30-06 Ruger and it wasnt my cup of tea..

I also went and checked out the new Tikka t3x this weekend and honestly it felt cheap like a savage axis to me... I wont waste an extra 300 bucks to get it over a t3 lite.

Thanks for the info guys.. Ill be looking around for a .300 win mag soon..

husky390

WKR
375 H&H :) It'll take care of everything on your list and then some. The trick is finding one light enough to comfortably carry which is why mine stays in the safe and my .308 or .300wsm gets the nod here in the lower 48.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
375 H&H :) It'll take care of everything on your list and then some. The trick is finding one light enough to comfortably carry which is why mine stays in the safe and my .308 or .300wsm gets the nod here in the lower 48.

HAHA same reason my 375 rarely gets pulled out of the safe. Weighs as much as all the other magnums and just not worth it. But I don't handload for it so its likely a safer option....

steveo

FNG
I agree with the 9.3xt62 suggestion. Large bullet at moderate speeds without the magnum recoil. My CZ 550 FS has a 20" and is very quick to point. Not really necessary unless you have Grizzlies or other large dangerous game but its good insurance if they are around.

husky390

WKR
HAHA same reason my 375 rarely gets pulled out of the safe. Weighs as much as all the other magnums and just not worth it. But I don't handload for it so its likely a safer option....

I wouldn't own mine if I didn't reload for it. 250gr Sierra SP loaded with Varget is a dream to shoot. Things get interesting when when I bump that up to 300gr bullets.

Congrats on your future hunting buddy.

It is true I have only gotten that 2900 fps speed from the only 2 30-06 I have tried it in.
Likely very unsafe and will never kill anything other than your face......skip the 30-06 and go magnum!!!

Oh.. I'm not denying you got there without blowing yourself up. I've been pretty close myself. :) It hardly qualifies it as the new normal though.

Without sidetracking this thread more than it already is, suffice to say I've burned several lbs of RL-17 in my -06 behind a number of bullets. It's one of the fastest powders for the heavier projectiles, but it's not going to make it into a magnum with every gun and every bullet. You CAN stuff enough in the case to ruin brass. BTDT...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Oh.. I'm not denying you got there without blowing yourself up. I've been pretty close myself. :) It hardly qualifies it as the new normal though.

Without sidetracking this thread more than it already is, suffice to say I've burned several lbs of RL-17 in my -06 behind a number of bullets. It's one of the fastest powders for the heavier projectiles, but it's not going to make it into a magnum with every gun and every bullet. You CAN stuff enough in the case to ruin brass. BTDT...

Wasn't trying to make it a magnum. Just trying to get all I can out of it. I think I clarified that in my first post on this thread stating the magnum still had a 150 fps (roughly 5%) advantage at a minimum.

Again if someone wants the extra weight and lack of extra round of a magnum then get that and don't risk life and limb trying to make it a non-magnum a magnum. Most need a magnumI realize but I really don't feel I shoot far enough or am hardcore enough to justify one and especially now that I have a kiddo on the way I likely wont get off the asphalt to really be concerned with things like what rifle I take.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I own a Tikka t3 lite in 7mm, and a Marlin GBL 45-70 already.. But I am looking at purchasing another Tikka... The only question is what caliber do I go with... It will mainly be for hunting on the mainland for moose and elk but its also all Grizzly country as well... What caliber would you guys suggust? 300 win mag, 300 wsm, or something else?

I think that anything in the 30 caliber offerings would suit you well. Can't go wrong with the win mag, 06 or wsm.
I have the tikka lite 06 and chambered it into an Ackley and get 2950 from a 180 with no pressure. Superbly happy with the accuracy and performance of this combination and it just plain rocks.

Randy

OP
BCBowtech

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
After talking with a few close friends about caliber choice Im now seriously considering the .338 Win Mag.. I have tracked down a couple locally as I cant buy from the US without a ton of paperwork and crap! One Savage 16/116 hunter package so it comes with a cheap scope... Not really interested in it at all... A Tikka T3 Lite in stainless, and a Tikka T3 Laminate in Stainless. Hunting on the coast of BC stainless is all I will buy. The price difference is about $220 between the Tikka's, the laminate being the higher cost.. Im thinking the Laminate over the lite for a couple reasons, one its heavier! which Im ok with, Im a big boy at 6'1" and 220lbs, I can carry it. And two I had a Ruger m77 hawkeye in the same style stock (black and grey wood grain) and stainless and I loved the look of that rifle.. Just didnt like other things about it..

Id like to hear your guys opinions on choice.. Id post on the local boards but all I get on those are smart @ss comments and sidetracking! And so far everything I have posted on Rokslide has been well accepted with many helpful replies. Thanks guys!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
After talking with a few close friends about caliber choice Im now seriously considering the .338 Win Mag.. I have tracked down a couple locally as I cant buy from the US without a ton of paperwork and crap! One Savage 16/116 hunter package so it comes with a cheap scope... Not really interested in it at all... A Tikka T3 Lite in stainless, and a Tikka T3 Laminate in Stainless. Hunting on the coast of BC stainless is all I will buy. The price difference is about $220 between the Tikka's, the laminate being the higher cost.. Im thinking the Laminate over the lite for a couple reasons, one its heavier! which Im ok with, Im a big boy at 6'1" and 220lbs, I can carry it. And two I had a Ruger m77 hawkeye in the same style stock (black and grey wood grain) and stainless and I loved the look of that rifle.. Just didnt like other things about it..

Id like to hear your guys opinions on choice.. Id post on the local boards but all I get on those are smart @ss comments and sidetracking! And so far everything I have posted on Rokslide has been well accepted with many helpful replies. Thanks guys!

I was going to recommend that exact caliber to you. And remember, if you want to carry more rounds in the Tikka they make 5 round magazines. Not really a tough issue to overcome. I also really like the 300 wm and 300 wsm which are outstanding calibers imo.

The 30-06 is great too if you aren't into long range hunting and shooting. That's where you start to really see the advantage of the magnums.

hodgeman

WKR
I'm a big fan of the .300 mags....

That said- I've shot very little with my .300 that I couldn't have as easily shot with my .270, 7-08, or .308. Modern bullets are so much better and range finders and "dial a drop" turrets make the trajectory advantage less of a thing.

I still grab my .300 every time I leave the house and need to kill something.

.338WM- I've never been a fan. They hit hard but in a light rifle just beat you like you owe them money. My hunting partner uses a Montana in .338... his critters aren't any deader then mine.