What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

KHNC

WKR
All the original Cool dudes on Rokslide are getting old now. Not as tough and burly as they used to be. They saw a way to have less recoil when shooting big game. This keeps them fit and trim to be able to keep up with all the young influencers out there using the 6.5CM. Not having to take time off because of a booboo on their shoulders from Mag recoil. :)

Edit: If you dont believe me, read @robby denning post above. lol

Last edited:
I'm a convert because it was too easy to see my shooting performance increase with a smaller caliber (similar journey with pistols). Data on this site to point people in the right direction for bullets in these smaller calibers was the nail in the coffin.

As a side point, I won't say the magnums don't have their place, but from my perspective if someone is asking about which XYZ magnum is best for them it's likely outside of their shooting ability in most cases (broad generalization I know).

Properly twisted .223, .243, 6 Creed, 25 Creed, and 6.5 Creed with heavy-for-caliber high BC bullets require less powder to do the same amount of "work". A few benefits...
  • Less recoil- makes rifles more enjoyable to shoot which can translate into more time at the range and increased hit rates.
  • Less muzzle blast- makes rifles more enjoyable to shoot which can translate into more time at the range and increased hit rates.
  • Less case growth (Creed or AI)- In general, with quality brass, the Creed cases experience less case growth than cartridges with traditional shoulders, requiring less trimming, easier reloading, and additional firings.
  • More efficient and cheaper to shoot- for example, a 25 Creed can achieve 2,900 fps with a 133 grain bullet using 25% less powder than a .25-06 shooting the same bullet.
  • Improved barrel life
This list is not all inclusive, but hits some of the high points. While one can compensate recoil with muzzle brakes and suppressors, these do not negate the other benfits of the smaller and more efficient rounds.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
All the original Cool dudes on Rokslide are getting old now. Not as tough and burly as they used to be. They saw a way to have less recoil when shooting big game. This keeps them fit and trim to be able to keep up with all the young influencers our there using the 6.5CM. Not having to take time off because of a booboo on their shoulders from Mag recoil. :)

Edit: If you dont believe me, read @robby denning post above. lol
nailed it

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JohnnyB

WKR
It could be the plastics in drinking water causing a steady drop in testosterone levels. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to come here in a few years and read a thread about .17HMR as the end all big game cartridge.

Missed a buck by a few feet from less than a hundred yards a while back. The concussion from my .300 wm knocked it out allowing me to finish it with my Bowie knife. Try that with a .249 sissy mag.

go_deep

WKR
It could be the plastics in drinking water causing a steady drop in testosterone levels. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to come here in a few years and read a thread about .17HMR as the end all big game cartridge.

Missed a buck by a few feet from less than a hundred yards a while back. The concussion from my .300 wm knocked it out allowing me to finish it with my Bowie knife. Try that with a .249 sissy mag.

Sounds like you just provided evidence of being inaccurate due to recoil.

NSI

WKR
To OP, this all made sense to me, but have zero practical value. I live in California. None of the info I saw ever dealt with Mono's and smaller calibers that I remember. I there is, I'd love to be pointed to it.
The mono formula is simple:
  • If you want a factory gun and factory ammo, shoot 127 LRX out of a 6.5 PRC Tikka.
  • If you want a custom gun and reloaded ammo, shoot 95 DRT out of a 6 UM.
Understand the performance you'll be giving up relative to TMK / ELD type projectiles, and stay above an impact velocity that gives you confidence.

-J

I lost my love for recoil shooting 12 gauge slugs at whitetails. The worst part of whitetail season used to be sighting in the shotgun a few days before the opener... One box of 5 on a paper plate at 50 yards was always "good enough" back in those days. A guy's shoulder was usually already throbbing so bad after the 5th round that another 5 rounds didn't make a difference. Then you had the guys shooting 3" slugs, because somebody told them they were way more better. :rolleyes:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

I’d say this thread’s about ripe for a meme. (Mods gonna hate me now)

maybe Avery with a Howitzer “2012” and then his face on the little guy from Christmas Story with his Red Rider “2023”

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
With the mid 130gr bullets being introduced these last couple years I think the sleeper in the smaller caliber realm could end up being the 25 cal.
I agree with this.

I shot thousands of 6mm XC and Creed for practice and a few competitions. I have a 6bra and a 6 creed that I would hunt deer and elk with. It’s great but suffers from wind drift more than I like.

Better wind drift performance by the 25 at the 600+ yardage with the Berger 133 EH does it for me in a short magnum with a 20-22” barrel. Recoil is very manageable suppressed.

Recoil is much less than my 7 mag and matches elevation dope. Although, the 180 VLD is better in wind, the longer barrel and increase of recoil brings diminishing returns.

There is no perfect caliber, just tradeoffs and the 25 gives me more of what I want with fewer drawbacks. Jumping to a 6.5/.264 has diminishing returns for the increased recoil.

Hnthrdr

WKR
For me, it's because I learned that you can get the same wound channel out of a cartridge that's cheaper and easier to shoot.
Hit the nail on the head. I would add minimum damage necessary which is often still excessive. Muley I killed a few weeks back with a 6.5 cm 143 eld-x lost big chunks of back strap, and most of front quarter on the impact side. Some of it is on me, with a tad high shoot placement, but man is that bullet devastating even out of a 20” barrel at 490 yards…