What compels you to share your hunting spot/unit on Rokslide?

WTFJohn

WKR
With CO tag application season starting in earnest and everyone trying to shake off cabin fever (& coronavirus quarantine), I figure this is as good a time as any to talk about sharing hunting spots and unit numbers online. Or maybe NOT sharing those same tidbits. I've seen posts from some people about "It doesn't matter if I put it online, I want to hunt somewhere new next year anyways" or "I only hunt XXXXX every 4 years so it'll all be different by then". I'm curious what compels you to want to blow out a spot by posting about it on here (or any other website/permanent form of media? Even if you didn't have a good hunt and don't intend to return, why not say "I was in SW CO" or "West of I-25 and north of I-70"? What is gained by being specific beyond that in a public forum post?

I'm not trying to throw these people under the bus in the quotes below, they just happen to be the folks that posted unit #s and/or fairly specific spots on the first few pages in the Elk subforum. Many of these come from new members, but some are from guys that should know better. Take the specifics to PMs or in-person conversations.

I drew unit * in 2016, we hunted ************ wilderness area. It was an incredible week of hunting, did everything but kill an elk...i* can't imagine there being a better place to hunt elk than where we were. zero other people, multiple close encounters every single day with bulls, big and small. Yes, there are units where you'll have chances at bigger bulls if you wanted, but as far as opportunity goes, that place was literally unbelievable.

We play this game on another site, "What do you do, or where do you shoot?" To play, give a detailed account of your actions...just saying "I bugle" or " I cow call" is not instructional....important to include your thought process.

Scenario; Colorado archery elk season, up above ****************, Sept 9th, OTC unit. So this happened to me a few years back, I hiked in to a timbered ridge about 2 miles from a road just as it was getting light. I hit a saddle where a long ridge comes up from hayfields [2 miles off] and dips over into another drainage with a confluence of elk trails with sparse cover....a good looking spot. They are using it for sure- fresh sign. Its a little more open here in the saddle but still timbered. No wind, thermals still drifting down.

Myself and several family members/friends drew Bull elk tags for second season in GMU ** in southern Colorado. Myself and a couple of the guys going hunted GMU ** OTC in second season last year and had the trip of a lifetime even though we were un-successful. I have been doing my best to study maps (ONX, paper, google earth, etc.) and was curious if anyone had any experience hunting in that area. The wilderness looks like it is very high and would prove to be tough to access, but remote and receive little hunting pressure in the earlier season. I have read that a lot of hunters like to hug around ******* mountain in the middle of the unit. It also appears that the BLM land in between private land plots in the eastern portion of the unit contain watering holes, I'm assuming cattle graze there during the summer.

Just looking for any input that might help get a bull on the ground this fall. Feel free to respond or PM.

Thanks in advance

Just seeing how your hunt in ** went. We hunted right over the unit line in ** and peered over into **. Spent our time in ******* and didn't see anything in there. Did see one elk, he was in the meadow by our trucks when we finally packed out.

Planning a OTC 1st season rifle hunt for elk preferably any legal bull. Got a cousin of my ol lady’s who lives in Denver and hunts but he can’t scout much because he and his wife just had twins.... been looking at the ********* gulch, ********* mountain area. Any other spots to look at or avoid or anything would be great. Also I’ve read its mostly timber, so how long/short of shots would be the norm if one was lucky enough to get an opportunity? Thanks in advance for any input

Any one have any info on the crowds in and around the ******* Creek Road 7** access areas? I see some older comments from several years ago about it being super crowded. Time frame I'm interested in would be first two full weeks of Sept. I get that it'll have the usual horse trailers, etc.... I would be concerned if I pulled into an area and there wasn't at least a few rigs. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks in adavance.

Last edited:
I don't have an answer here because I don't even HAVE any Western spots I COULD share but I had a chuckle at the irony of you throwing up a bunch of quotes with none of the specific info censored :) Definitely get what you're saying though, so many accounts of the internet ruining spots.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
W

WTFJohn

WKR
I don't have an answer here because I don't even HAVE any Western spots I COULD share but I had a chuckle at the irony of you throwing up a bunch of quotes with none of the specific info censored :) Definitely get what you're saying though, so many accounts of the internet ruining spots.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I didn't censor it because I want everyone to go hunt ***********, clearly it's the best spot.

In all honesty, sometimes people just don't know it's a bad thing until it's blatantly put in front of them. I intend on editing out that info once this thread dies a bit.

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
Lots of big units in CO. Some need a little pressure. Maybe folks share spots with the intent of settin’ up an ambush!

Beendare

WKR
Butthurt over my comment "Above Steamboat" really?

FWIW< The country north of Steamboat encompasses a thousand miles of public land.....

You do realize you are the one giving away that you hunt "Above Steamboat" by your comment in the thread and your commentary here.

BTW, It was a real scenario...but not necessarily a real location- grin.

>>>>>>

I love these threads.I don't really care if people share spots. It's their right to tell people whatever they want. I may or may not give out info but I don't have a place telling others they cannot.

I have been helped on forums and it made my hunt more enjoyable. I would never pass on info given to me as I don't consider that mine to share. If I discover an area though and don't plan to go back I don't have any issue passing that on to someone.

Just read the quotes you posted and that is what your complaining about? Asking about pressure on a road or saying they hunted a wilderness area?

Last edited:
OP
W

WTFJohn

WKR
Now you're going to get the whiners that say "But that's what forums are for, to share information..."

WTF

Forums are great for that, and you can meet some great people through them too. I had beers with another Rokslider Tuesday night and we talked specific units and all kinds of fun details about the upcoming season. I scouted an area with another member last summer (his area) and showed him one of my late season cow spots (where he tagged out). All was accomplished without posting units or spots.

Butthurt over my comment "Above ******" really?

FWIW< The country north of ********* encompasses a thousand miles of public land.....

You do realize you are the one giving away that you hunt "Above **********" by your comment in the thread and your commentary here.

BTW, It was a real scenario...but not necessarily a real location- grin.

>>>>>>

I quoted your post because it was on the front page, same as the others. You started a thread last year regarding the current state of elk hunting and lamented the point creep, increased price of landowner tags, and overall 'pressure' on elk hunting. Yet you apply in every state (worsening point creep) and post hunting spots on forums (increasing pressure on the ground). It doesn't matter that it may not be a 'real' location to you, it is to someone. What did you gain by posting a town at all in your scenario thread? Would the outcome of the thread be different if you said NW CO?

And no, I don't hunt ** for elk.

I love these threads.I don't really care if people share spots. It's their right to tell people whatever they want. I may or may not give out info but I don't have a place telling others they cannot.

I have been helped on forums and it made my hunt more enjoyable. I would never pass on info given to me as I don't consider that mine to share. If I discover an area though and don't plan to go back I don't have any issue passing that on to someone.

I have no problem with sharing the info; I have a problem with posting it and leaving it online for all to see...Forever. A conversation via PM is private, and means that your info is actually going to be valid and not shared by the entire internet.

Last edited:
That’s funny I know some guys that had the opposite experience in 66. Wasn’t worth the points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Why not go one step further and not even post the state. While less specific, by posting you shot a big bull in CO/MT/ID/WY, etc, means more people heading that way, buying points, worsening the point creep, etc.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just took an opportunity to refresh myself on the forum rules, go ahead and give them a glance over.
ff1821fe28369e3ffd9c4b31f63963cc.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
W

WTFJohn

WKR
I just took an opportunity to refresh myself on the forum rules, go ahead and give them a glance over.
ff1821fe28369e3ffd9c4b31f63963cc.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what rule (s) have been broken? All I asked was what compelled people to give out locations on a public forum. I edited names and removed the direct links to posts. If posting of units/spots isn't against the rules here, how is talking about the posting of units/spots against the rules?

Edit- Historically we've been able to talk about TV shows/podcasts/Youtubers/Instagrammers giving out too much unit/location information and how it negatively impacts those areas. I don't really see how this is any different.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure what rule (s) have been broken? All I asked was what compelled people to give out locations on a public forum. I edited names and removed the direct links to posts. If posting of units/spots isn't against the rules here, how is talking about the posting of units/spots against the rules?
Who said you broke the rules? When rules are broken consequences are handed out.

I'm just reminding everyone to follow the rules and not use this thread for a soapbox on everything in the world they wished was different.

Our forum posting rules are very simple: no whining, crying, sobbing, bitching, sniveling, sulking, bickering, name-calling, complaining, or pouting!

Last edited:
As a forum newbie I have reached out to some members (through private messages) about certain areas and I am grateful for their input! With that being said, I do agree that we should try to keep the specific information on a pm and not in a general thread. This doesn't have to be a rule, but it just isn't that difficult to help someone through a private conversation instead of the general thread...