What compels you to share your hunting spot/unit on Rokslide?

If you give out detailed information on a productive elk hunting spot openly on the world wide web you just don’t realize the value of what you have.

PMs are fine if you see someone that seems like a good guy to help. I’ve even emailed and called other hunters to help them get started. I’ve also sold detailed hunt plans with maps to guys who wanted more than just general information so don’t think I’m too generous. Lol :LOL:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have absolutely no idea of why some need to openly share locations or spots on an open forum.......drives me batshit.
I'll share a couple reasons why I don't.

1. I'm selfish as hell when I find a good spot. The good old days are now and I've worked hard for those spots.

2. EVERY time you share a spot with one, they then share it with others and it snowballs from there....EVERYTIME.

That being said, I've made some good friends here on the slide and hunt with them. And some not so.

But I will share a spot.....Colorado. It's great!

Randy

Most of the guys that pick their units based off of a post on Rokslide wouldn't survive the LG, anyway. Since I'm clearly not the only one who has hunted there before on this thread, I'm betting some of you know exactly what I mean. Still it isn't the most fun to see an area you've hunted advertised so openly on the internet. I'm with @Boxerboxer, this thread isn't exactly helping people that hunt the units you're highlighting.

I've seen the exact ridge I have hunted for elk otc mentioned on multiple forums. It doesn't seem like its more or less crowded. But I won't personally post it either. People chase gut piles for some reason. The fact is there is that saying that 90% of animals are killed by 10% of hunters. The guys that are in that 10% I'm guessing aren't chasing gut piles.

Gut piles are important. They tell you where an elk was. I wouldn't discredit the location as the next year, or even the same there will be a replacement bull filling his place. I don't know about you guys, but packing elk out is one of the worst ways to give up your spots. I hate walking by a camp or 3 with meat horns etc.. More so when its an OTC unit.

I might start a new thread, but to me, locations on the net can hurt, as your place will get overrun even if said hunters have two left feet. But I've noticed the guys that kill stuff don't make excuses like kids soccer, wife back at home, time off of work, I have to visit my parents, etc etc.

Very few guys have the freedom, or the want to get it done. Those freebies on the web go hand and hand with most of those types who poach locations...... They don't have the time or desire to figure things out when others can do it for them.

OP
W

WTFJohn

WKR
Most of the guys that pick their units based off of a post on Rokslide wouldn't survive the **, anyway. Since I'm clearly not the only one who has hunted there before on this thread, I'm betting some of you know exactly what I mean. Still it isn't the most fun to see an area you've hunted advertised so openly on the internet. I'm with @Boxerboxer, this thread isn't exactly helping people that hunt the units you're highlighting.

I went back and edited things out, point taken. While most of the guys might not survive/make it in there, it only takes a few to mess things up and it's easier than ever these days to be in 'elk shape'.

Gut piles are important. They tell you where an elk was. I wouldn't discredit the location as the next year, or even the same there will be a replacement bull filling his place. I don't know about you guys, but packing elk out is one of the worst ways to give up your spots. I hate walking by a camp or 3 with meat horns etc.. More so when its an OTC unit.

I might start a new thread, but to me, locations on the net can hurt, as your place will get overrun even if said hunters have two left feet. But I've noticed the guys that kill stuff don't make excuses like kids soccer, wife back at home, time off of work, I have to visit my parents, etc etc.

Very few guys have the freedom, or the want to get it done. Those freebies on the web go hand and hand with most of those types who poach locations...... They don't have the time or desire to figure things out when others can do it for them.

I'm not making any excuses for my year; I put a tag on 4 big game species in CO and helped 6 other guys kill elk. I'm just trying to drive a discussion on disclosing hunting spots and find out why some guys want to give that info out in a public fashion when it takes so much time and work to find places that are good (which usually means you found lots of places that were bad, too).

Locations on the net definitely hurt; you can go back to the BRO threads from the last few years and see what the 'local' hunters think after the BRO guys talked too openly about their location. There is a member on here that killed a 320"+ bull in an easy to draw unit; does anyone think that there haven't been people scouring his post history looking for a unit or a location? Does anyone think if there is a unit or location posted that additional people won't be in that immediate area come next hunting season? People like to chase last year's animals; even guys in great shape can be mentally lazy.

Somebody can still search all the other words in those posts and get the info. Just delete them alltogether

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still just trying to figure out how I can break the forum rules but word it so it doesn't sound like I'm breaking the forum rules. This is too hard.

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
bdf85c83e854328aed2e8ddab0def54b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lonald

FNG
If you give out detailed information on a productive elk hunting spot openly on the world wide web you just don’t realize the value of what you have.

PMs are fine if you see someone that seems like a good guy to help. I’ve even emailed and called other hunters to help them get started. I’ve also sold detailed hunt plans with maps to guys who wanted more than just general information so don’t think I’m too generous. Lol :LOL:
I like more people hunting to help support my right to hunt

What exactly do you guys consider a "hunting spot?" I think the definition matters a lot, and as a newer hunter I think I might've misinterpreted what people mean by it based on what I'm seeing here. I've been taking it to mean info beyond just a unit number. I see what you guys mean about not sharing the specific unit you killed some monster in or posting for all to see that it's the most amazing place on Earth; obviously bad ideas. But there's plenty of relevant info you could give someone about a unit in general that wouldn't impact the pressure there right?

Gapmaster

WKR
So I was the one who had asked if a certain trailhead was busy... there are actually 3 different trailheads on that road. They traverse into a huge area going East, South and North. I didn’t give any ridge names or ask for any. How would a guy find out what I asked without disturbing the “Feng Shui” of the forum? I don’t personally know any of you gentlemen...so I’m open to suggestions. I thought I stayed as vague as I could but still had to state the obvious question and name a road. Like I said, I’m completely open to suggestions on how to ask extremely vague questions about vast expanses of Wilderness in order to gain a fraction of clarity...it would be like talking to Joe Biden....

Last edited:
Butthurt over my comment "Above Steamboat" really?

FWIW< The country north of Steamboat encompasses a thousand miles of public land.....

You do realize you are the one giving away that you hunt "Above Steamboat" by your comment in the thread and your commentary here.

BTW, It was a real scenario...but not necessarily a real location- grin.

>>>>>>

I was the one who called you out on your thread about naming the place. It was a joke really.

Especially since I have hunted there. I knew you were using a false location.

nphunter

WKR
I’m sure I’ve shared plenty online. I do like to share my experiences with others and see others do the same. I don’t mind seeing people in my spots, I’ve had spots overran with people over the years and they still hold elk and we still kill elk there. If people aren’t willing to put in the effort to effort to figure things out there theirselves they most likely aren’t willing to put into effort to put in the work once they get there.

Eastmans has been posting pictures in there magazines for years, it honestly doesn’t take a lot of effort to figure out exactly where some of those pictures are taken if your handy with a computer.

I see way more vehicles in the woods while elk hunting and still see way less out in the woods burning boot leather. I want to see higher hunter numbers and if me sharing some info motivates more people to get out and hunt because they think they may have found a secret spot than that is awesome in my mind.

The real secret is elk numbers are higher than they have ever been in most states and there are way more big bulls as well due to better management practices. Some areas were hit hard by wolves but there are still elk there, ID and OR are both having to kill elk because there numbers are getting out of control in a lot of ag areas. I’ve been hunting public ground in Oregon for elk since the late 80’s and it gets better every year.

People who use others being in there area as an excuse that they didn’t fill a tag are being crybaby’s and looking for an excuse in the first place. I run into people almost daily where we hunt, I also run into a lot of elk there too, I’ll get done blowing an opportunity on a bull and hit the road to walk to my rig and bump into someone on a quad telling me he’s been there all season and has yet to see an elk. Little does he know I was just chasing a bull 50 yards from there that morning.

The way I see it is I’ll post whatever I want online, if it can help 20 guys kill there first elk or get motivated to get out that is awesome, if maybe a few more guys show up to mess with my elk that’s ok with me too. Hunting changes constantly, just because one spot is awesome one year and crappy the next doesn’t have much to do with humans. Part of the fun to me is the hunt, attitude and effort have way more to do with being successful than wether or not some dudes parked next to you in the woods. For me hunting being around when my two boys grow up is much more important to me than being alone in the woods. If I want some alone time I’ll just go deeper into the woods

By the way, I hunt in the Starkey Unit, Sumpter Unit, Imnaha Unit, Keating Unit, Catherine Creek unit, Beulah Unit and the desolation unit. I’ve killed animals in each one and all of them can be great if you put yourself in the right spot at the right time. Being in the best spot in the world doesn’t mean jack if your there at the wrong time.

0E839F66-0AE9-4D42-80FC-3A9867F91F04.jpeg