What do wear in when on initial walk in

crumy

WKR
I am thinking about wearing some convertible pants in lieu of reg cotton shorts. What do you wear

trkyslr

WKR
If im bivying it in a few miles and its warm ill wear light @$$ under armor shorts and tshirt, so i dont take a day away from my hunting clothing with sweat and odor. Plus its more comfortable.

trk3263

WKR
Funny you post this we were just taking about this tonight.
I wear a shirtsleeve UA type shirt and normally my backup pair of pants. However I have some new lightweight REI shorts that are nice and light and if the terrain allows I will wear them in too.
Once at my base/bivy camp I use the UA short and shorts for wearing around camp while airing or washing my hunting clothes. On hot days this really makes hunting partners jealous too.
I want to get a pair of the convertible pants for this reason so I can wear them in any weather.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've used convertible "fishing" pants for YEARS as my hunting pants. After trying Sitka, Kuiu, and others I still find the $30 Columbia Aruba IIIs tough to beat. Thus be wearing on my last two hiking trips. Dry faster than any "hunting" pants I've ever used, hold up well, light, breathe well, and the price is right!

I wish those pants worked for me! I picked up a set and they didn't fit me well. I suppose we couldn't be much more opposite in build so it isn't that surprising. I like light pants with 4way stretch. Mountain Hardwear ridge top pants are my current go to. I found 3 pairs for $19 each so pretty hard to beat.

I wear a pair of first lite boxers, under armour shorts, and a first lite tee shirt. It is a great system and really keeps you cool yet warm enough. Last year I hiked in at 12am to base camp which was about 7 miles and I was plenty warm. I had a beanie on for awhile until I started sweating.