What do y’all do when the elk are just too high up?

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
That sheep hunt taught me a lot, but more than anything, I learned that you can climb up basically any mountain that you see. Also, they usually aren’t as bad as you expect!

I went high like y’all said 😉View attachment 611339

well-well-well-ggkr7i.jpg

That sheep hunt taught me a lot, but more than anything, I learned that you can climb up basically any mountain that you see. Also, they usually aren’t as bad as you expect!
Sneaking up on elk while knocking out 2200 feet of elevation gain at an average grade of 36 degrees over broken and often open terrain, while laden with hunting gear is a very different proposition from simply "climbing a mountain."

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Same experiences when researching hunting areas on Google Earth. Every mountain is "doable",,,,, when looking at your PC monitor.

This fall, in the Breaks, we bedded a bull and had to drop into a deep coulee to go after him. We dropped through a pretty nasty mini canyon. We got over to him and my friend commented "hope he's still there, that took us an hour and a half to get here." Which caught me off guard, if he'd have asked me I would have said 20 minutes. So even in the moment I drastically underestimated effort.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Holy buckets, man.

The cop-out comments in this thread are astounding. No wonder success rates are so low.

If 9,500 is too high for you, go to the grocery store. They probably have one of those little Rascal motorized buggies you can ride on so you don't get too tired pushing the cart.

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
Holy buckets, man.

The cop-out comments in this thread are astounding. No wonder success rates are so low.

If 9,500 is too high for you, go to the grocery store. They probably have one of those little Rascal motorized buggies you can ride on so you don't get too tired pushing the cart.
Neat perspective.

You have to be logical about what YOU are willing to do. Its not just gaining 2000' to get to where they are. If you get one down you have to think about getting it out as well. In most cases you go where they are and I agree never leave an area where you see elk to find another.

hunterjmj

WKR
This fall, in the Breaks, we bedded a bull and had to drop into a deep coulee to go after him. We dropped through a pretty nasty mini canyon. We got over to him and my friend commented "hope he's still there, that took us an hour and a half to get here." Which caught me off guard, if he'd have asked me I would have said 20 minutes. So even in the moment I drastically underestimated effort.
The breaks are definitely deceptive. I spotted a bull with 5 cows this year feeding down a long coulee and it took me an hour and a half to catch up with them. They were just feeding and I was moving quick trying not to be seen. Those suckers can really cover some country with little effort.

Camp setup at 7300 and we were at 9k plus on multiple days. Some of the beauty you see at elevation.
1000020627.jpg1000020628.jpg

Last edited: