Chose a poor time for an Adak trip, what to do?

zmcgohan

FNG
This is my first big game trip, largest previous animal harvested was a turkey. I booked these dates a few months back to hunt with my father-in-law who is getting to his late 60s, and these were the last dates available with the outfitter.

I just recently ran into the knowledge that rutting bulls are sometimes basically inedible, and that our dates fall smack in the middle of when the rut might be. I’m trying to decide whether to just swallow that and enjoy the trip, or try and request a reschedule with our deposit for next year.

I am excited about getting my first rack to hang up, not too worried about size at all. Not too excited about taking a bull just to throw out the meat, however - maybe give it to the Zoo if it is gamey? I am a resident, so I could try for young males and cows to fulfill the meat desire separately as well.

Also excited to go fishing, explore the military buildings, and maybe some ptarmigan hunting as well. I haven’t tried caribou before, so I was excited to get some in the freezer. I’m sure the rest of the trip will be a blast, just a bit hung up on that bit now.

So yeah, there’s the important details I think. What would you do here? Hope for a bull for the rack & go for some cows/young males for the meat, hard preference for reschedule?

OP
Z

zmcgohan

FNG
Dates: September 30 - October 7. Since I edited the dates out of the title like a dummy.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't worry about it too much. The rut down there is a bit later than mainland herds. You'll be able to see if any of the bulls are acting rutty, and if so, just shoot a different one.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’d not think the herd is big enough on Adak for the bulls to become “inedible” due to the rut; don’t think about it any more and enjoy your hunt. Those will be great dates.

Homer

FNG
If you’re worried about it and seeing a lot of rutting activity shoot a young bull or cow. As a resident you will probably end up with more caribou racks than you’ll know what to do with over the years.

Mlkman55

FNG
This is my first big game trip, largest previous animal harvested was a turkey. I booked these dates a few months back to hunt with my father-in-law who is getting to his late 60s, and these were the last dates available with the outfitter. I just recently ran into the knowledge that rutting bulls are sometimes basically inedible, and that our dates fall smack in the middle of when the rut might be. I’m trying to decide whether to just swallow that and enjoy the trip, or try and request a reschedule with our deposit for next year. I am excited about getting my first rack to hang up, not too worried about size at all. Not too excited about taking a bull just to throw out the meat, however - maybe give it to the Zoo if it is gamey? I am a resident, so I could try for young males and cows to fulfill the meat desire separately as well. Also excited to go fishing, explore the military buildings, and maybe some ptarmigan hunting as well. I haven’t tried caribou before, so I was excited to get some in the freezer. I’m sure the rest of the trip will be a blast, just a bit hung up on that bit now. So yeah, there’s the important details I think. What would you do here? Hope for a bull for the rack & go for some cows/young males for the meat, hard preference for reschedule?

fatlander

WKR
This is coming from a guy with absolutely zero caribou experience, so you might take this with a grain of salt.

But. . .

If it were me, I’d go and enjoy and incredible hunt in an incredible place with my old man. Time is precious. Without getting too morbid, we are guaranteed nothing in the life. Next year as you plan it may never exist. Shoot whatever makes you happy, and if the meat sucks make burger, sausage, snack sticks, etc. If it still sucks, feed it to the dogs.

Then go hunting again, next year somewhere else with your dad.

Enjoy your hunt, looking forward to the story and some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
go have a good time, I’d love to do that hunt sometime so make sure to write up a good report for us and take lots of pics.

I would say go! The island is worth seeing in its own right regardless of hunting. The ruins are fascinating and the backdrop of basalt formations and rolling grass-covered mountains is really special and unlike anything else I've seen in Alaska. Check out the old LORAN site on the northeast end of the island, just spectacular. Make sure to get an Aleut Corp land use permit when you arrive at the airport, too.

I just got back from my first trip there, got a spike bull on the opener (had to hike a lot to find him) and spent the rest of my time exploring. If you're worried about meat, I would second what Homer said - target a younger bull or cow.

Enjoy your trip!image2.jpegimage3.jpegimage0.jpegimage1.jpeg