What do y’all do when the elk are just too high up?

DertyBert

FNG
Go hunt them and take advantage of the ability to spot and stalk. Elk are where you find them

It’s funny that a lot of the original advice I saw in this thread was that you must hunt as high as possible in a unit to get into elk. Where I hunted this year we were hunting in the 7-8000’ range at the highest points in the unit, after a few days of not seeing elk in the backcountry we decided to start exploring new areas, ended up finding elk at about 5000’ on our way up another mountain. Turns out elk kinda live at all elevations, not just the tippy top of the highest mountains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I said good luck, no clue what state or what peaks are around you, but even with some real cold often elk won’t come down, you are talking 24” of hard crusted snow to get them out. I see big herds occasionally winter around 10k if they can, this is in Co of course so maybe different for you, but use the thermals and get high and go nail one of them! Heck they might even run down hill after they are hit for you
I'm in Co also, went out scouting last weekend at 7k and found nothing. This weekend i'll start at 10,800 and work my way up to 11,800. I'm a FNG but agree they're not in the lower elevation with this wonderful fall weather we're having. Now if I can get away from all the hikers still out or better yet if they are still around during first rifle I can get them to help pack out if I'm lucky enough. lol

Rd7fox

FNG
Where I've been hunting the past 8-10 years, the elk are rarely above 9500. Most are 8-9000. In my area, water is rare above 9500 and elk like water-daily. I hunt September, so that's another factor.

Foldem

WKR
It's called Schuykill Mountain. What route do you take up? I talked to a guide late in my vacation. He said they call this heart attack hill locally. He doesn't hunt it. Too many open areas, too many escape routes, too many technical
Which guide was it?

I’ve been up there. Wouldn’t go with a flat lander client, that’s for sure but it’s not impossible. Ask @wooduckman about the chutes we climbed on his sheep hunt.

Which guide was it?

I’ve been up there. Wouldn’t go with a flat lander client, that’s for sure but it’s not impossible. Ask @wooduckman about the chutes we climbed on his sheep hunt.
I didn't catch his name. He was guiding a mule deer muzzle loader hunter from Minnesota back in Rustler Gulch.