What do you say to anti-hunters?

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I occasionally end up in a conversation with anti-hunters who "want to talk." Pretty rare in this part of the world, but last week it happened twice--once on my way back to my truck during bow season, and once at a chili feed at a friend of a friend's house.

What do YOU say to people when this happens to you? I'm not out to inflate my own ego or make someone feel stupid. I'd rather win hearts and minds.

Things I've said this time and in the past:
  1. "Well I didn't have any luck today, so I'm pretty sure the deer feel the same way you do." (humor)
  2. "I can tell you why I hunt and why hunting is important to me if you're interested. (individual vs stereotype)
  3. "What's your objection to hunting?" (showing respect by listening and also figuring out what to say in response)
  4. Try to surprise them with some relevant stats or observations about animal physiology
In my state (NH), I try to track the deer harvest and the number of permits issued. So if someone's objection is, "the poor helpless animals," I ask them to guess what percentage of deer hunters are successful every year. Most are surprised when it's below 18% (deer harvested/hunting licenses issued).

All of this is better than nothing, but I have no doubt there are better ways. Thoughts?

K

Kootenay Hunter

I think it's important to hear why they're against it, then hopefully they let you say your piece, probably won't change a mind (but maybe!) but gaining respect for each other is the best you can hope for.

If it degrades, all I can say is that I don't push my thoughts, beliefs, and morals on others (we have a freedom here) and I don't respect anyone that does so. You don't see anti-vegan protestors!

I've always thought that Rinella's response to this vegan was top notch. I try to hit some of those points. I love the part where he points out that he probably knows more about deer than that person will ever know. Randy Newberg puts it in a great way too "I like to participate in nature".

It's always interesting, because there's different types to tailor your conversation: anti hunter, anti meat, anti anything fun...

Jbehredt

WKR
It's a waste to talk to people who are hardcore anti- because it is effectively a religion. People who are on the fence to against the "trophy hunting" strawman can usually be convinced though

Guy at work was surprised to find out that it’s illegal to kill an elk and just take the antlers. He knew I was a meat hunter but assumed, or more likely, was lead to believe that most we’re after trophies.

jhm2023

WKR
I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince or educate an anti-hunting person. Much like a far left democrat, they are set in their emotion based ways regardless of facts presented. It's the folks who are uneducated about hunting and are on the fence about it that I enjoy talking with / educating. We surely don't want to push them to the anti side of the fence, but talk them over to our side. That is why I think it's so important to be a good steward of our sport / way of life. One hunter can and does represent all other hunters in this regard. I'm not saying convince them to be hunters, but at least arm them with the knowledge to understand and support it regardless if they partake or not. In short, arm yourself with meaningful factual knowledge to convey, be courteous, and do your very best to set the best possible example for the rest of us.

Here in the PNW I come across plenty of people who aren't a fan of me carrying a rifle and pistol along with my camo clothes and hunting pack. I try to be the first one to step aside on the trail or thank them if they do. Be courteous and say hi with a smile. Some simply ask what I am hunting for and become surprised when I say black bear and they generally want to know more about bear in the area, if it's legal, what do I do with the bear, etc. For the most part we part ways on good terms with a "good luck" and a "have a great day", there is the rare occasion an extremist comes along though.

Saturday a lady came across interrupting a conversation I was having with another hiker who didn't agree with bear hunting, but upon being respectful was actually pointing out areas to me where he has seen bear and I should try. Tolerance and respectfulness goes a long way. This lady walks by saying how surprised she is people are allowed to hunt in the area and if it is even legal. I respond by explaining to her it is perfectly legal, and also pointed out the boundary line where it would not be legal to hunt. With this information she turns to keep hiking and says she has been around shooting ranges and doesn't feel safe around weapons on the trail. I finished up with saying I do not hike with a loaded firearm and it is each person's responsibility to make sure they are treating every firearm as if it were loaded and respecting others around them as well. An accident is negligence and needs to be avoided at all costs. She continued mumbling something and I simply asked her to respect my views as I respect hers and have no problem with her feeling unsafe as I apologized about it. You can't converse with extremists, I try and use facts and respectfulness and let them be the ones to get upset for the rest of their day.

Another great point I try to include is I am out here to enjoy nature, if I see any animal whether I am hunting for it or not it makes my day. Being able to hike in a beautiful area is number one, hunting comes second to that. I also try and educate them about the responsibility of a hunter. I let them know if I did see something and why I didn't shoot it. It was a younger and smaller animal, had a cub with it, etc. Just because you can shoot something doesn't mean you should.

Most reactions to these things have been positive. Most people are uninformed and are thankful you take the time to talk and explain and fill in some points. I share animals I've seen or trends in an area over the past few years. It shows I'm not out there to run and gun but truly have a love for the sport and the animals.

OP
dutch_henry

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I've always thought that Rinella's response to this vegan was top notch. I try to hit some of those points. I love the part where he points out that he probably knows more about deer than that person will ever know. Randy Newberg puts it in a great way too "I like to participate in nature".

It's always interesting, because there's different types to tailor your conversation: anti hunter, anti meat, anti anything fun...

Really good points. That's a great clip: clear, confident, respectful. Thanks for sharing

OP
dutch_henry

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Here in the PNW I come across plenty of people who aren't a fan of me carrying a rifle and pistol along with my camo clothes and hunting pack.

I lived in Oregon for 6 years and had the same kinds of experiences out there. Some people are just out to pick a fight about it. Others are skeptical but at least open-minded about hearing what you're about.

I always like list the way animals die in nature with great detail, disease, starvation, ripped apart alive by a predators, hit by car, ect. Once I get done with that a quick and ethical death by a hunter looks like a blessing. I also remind them there is no nursing home for elk, deer ect..mother nature doesnt let them get old.

mlgc20

WKR
I have some family that are anti-gun, anti-hunting vegans. They are more consistent than most in that they also largely don't use animal products (leather, animal hair, etc) in their daily life. I respect their lifestyle and they seem to respect mine. We do have reasonable conversations and I have corrected a lot of misinformation that they had been given. And they have opened my eyes to some of the ugly stuff that goes on with mass farming operations. We do have common ground in wanting all animals to live a happy life, so we tend to spend time talking about that. Things like preserving habitat for wildlife. I've talked a lot about to them about the money that hunters contribute to habitat conservation. And, we've talked a lot also about how an animals life ends. A hunters bullet is much more merciful than starvation. And, even though my daughters are hunters and meat eaters, my vegan family members have not tried to "convert them" or try to convince them that guns/hunting are evil. And in turn, I don't invite their kids on hunting trips. And I leave them off the family text message strings where I share pictures of my daughter with her deer. They have grudgingly conceded that if you absolutely insist on eating meat, that our method of hunting/meat harvest is better than the grocery store method. Another thing we agree on.

mntnguide

WKR
I was recently quoted and featured in a local newspaper story about my successful mountain goat hunt here in western Wyoming. They also used a couple of my photos. Not long after, i received this message from a lady that lives over the hill in Idaho and this is how i responded...as hunters and conservationists, the best thing we can do is not to stir an arguement or start name calling as it only makes us appear less intelligent and blood thirsty. I deal with anti hunters where i live plenty, and I usually find they change their tune when you can explain in detail the reasons why we hunt is far beyond to take a life.
cfc693bbbef794dafdd278202603609e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I try to always be ready to talk to an anti-hunter. Typically, they'll open up once they learn that we eat what we kill. Most of them didn't know that because they've never talked to a hunter.

I bring in deer and elk chili to my office several times per year. I always label the crockpot so that people know what they are eating. There is no doubt that this is the easiest way to open discussion.

I've talked to them about how the game animals live better lives than domestic animals.

If you learn about how chickens and hogs are raised it quickly helps them to realize that eating wild animals really is a better idea. Chickens are stacked about 11 stories high. When the top one sh*ts it runs down the back of the 10 chickens below. The farmer who tends my fields raises hogs in the winter. He buys the hogs in December, when they weight about 50-75 lbs. He raises them and sells them in March when they weigh 200-225 lbs. So in 90 days they gain about 150 lbs. The facts about food production speak for themselves.

First I try to make it clear that I eat meat and that likely will not change because I view it as an integral part of my personal diet. With that in mind I usually tell non hunter/non meat eating folks that I much prefer to collect my own meat much like they would prefer to collect their own vegetables (as do I) from an organic source that you knoe hasn't been mishandled, mistreated, or introduced to chemicals or other toxins. Simple as that.

Surprisingly I still somehow run into anti-hunters who DO eat meat. I have little respect for that type of person and will usually shame them (hopefully in public) if they give me any crap about harming animals.

WJS23

WKR
I live In New Hampshire too, I just answer what ever questions they have and be extremely polite.

OP
dutch_henry

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I always like list the way animals die in nature with great detail, disease, starvation, ripped apart alive by a predators, hit by car, ect. Once I get done with that a quick and ethical death by a hunter looks like a blessing. I also remind them there is no nursing home for elk, deer ect..mother nature doesnt let them get old.

I totally agree, personally. But I don't often say this because I don't want to give anti-hunters the impression I'm out there as a mercy killer, doing this to save animals from a worse fate.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
I always like to ask if they eat meat, and most people do. I then ask about what the difference is between animals being killed who lived their whole life in a feed pen vs animals that got to live in the wild. Most of them don't have an answer for that, because as we all know, they are blissfully ignorant of our heritage.

I totally agree, personally. But I don't often say this because I don't want to give anti-hunters the impression I'm out there as a mercy killer, doing this to save animals from a worse fate.
You have to come full circle in the discussion that hunting is a proven management tool to help prevent some of these situations, starvation, disease, and cars.