What does everyone put under there sleeping pad?

tdot

WKR
Borah DCF Hybrid bivy is great. You have to ask Borah about it, as it's not on their website. It splits the difference between their two main bivy's.

I add a Seek Outside Matty McMatt Face under the Borah Bivy. I originally was only going to use that below 35 degrees, but the more I use it the more I take it in warmer conditions. I also use it as a sit pad while glassing, so it runs double duty.

Last edited:

Big.lou

FNG
Tyvek works well; if you've got coin to spend you can buy dyneema groundsheets or ones cut with a bathtup floor from zpacks (I believe). If you are worried about punctures you could look into a Gossamer Gear 1/8 inch thinlight pad. It weighs about the same as a sit pad so you could replace a sitpad with it and then use it underneath your pad (assuming you have an inflatable pad) to help prevent punctures. Or the colloquial "nothing", which weighs the least and works, but has it's flaws (easier to pop a pad, if your sleeping bag hangs off your pad and it's wet then it will absorb moisture, etc.)

Ultralight cot.

I sacrifice many things so I can have a good pad and cot. Keeps me off the ground and I am much happier in the morning after a good nights sleep.

hikenhunt

WKR
Ultralight cot.

I sacrifice many things so I can have a good pad and cot. Keeps me off the ground and I am much happier in the morning after a good nights sleep.
Are you using a pad on the cot for comfort? warmth? both?

MattyMcMattFace

i have and like one of those, i also have the regular SO ground cloth, and i have a z-packs bathtub ground cloth (that's made of DCF) depends on the scenario, but i don't know the normal SO ground cloth will get much use. if it's chilly, the mattymcmatface is my top choice, if it's wet or warm, the z-packs will get the use.

what i like about the z-packs (besides it being waterproof) is that it's so light and small, and will double as a meat tarp when breaking critters down.... it will always be in my pack regardless of the activity, so i don't see packing another ground cloth.... especially a heavier bulky one unless it's cold out, then the Matty will be worth carrying as well.

i like multi purpose items in my pack

Marble

WKR
All my extra clothes that aren't my pillow. If it's dry.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I like options And after a couple of pad failures, some protection for my inflater.

- sheet of tyvek
- seek outside ground cloth (heavy sil)
- dcf ground clothe (hyperlite I think)
- therma rest zrest and ridge rest.
- Matty mc Matt face

of those, the DCF and the matty get used the most. Dcf was stupid $$$ but it is 4oz and can be an emergency shelter or sun shade. Matty is great for padding a spotting scope, sitting at Camp or while resting, I liked it so much I bought a second that I cut to 25” wide to match my pad. A shade less than 6oz and about the size of a Nalgene bottle. I sometimes run the smaller matty and the dcf together for wet conditions.

Borah DCF Hybrid bivy is great. You have to ask Borah about it, as it's not on their website. It splits the difference between their two main bivy's.

I add a Seek Outside Matty McMatt Face under the Borah Bivy. I originally was only going to use that below 35 degrees, but the more I use it the more I take it in warmer conditions. I also use it as a sit pad while glassing, so it runs double duty.
Sounds like a solid system. I still want a borah bivy... I am going to go that direction vs a nest for my silex, I can use it with my eolus too, or any other shelter I end up with.

I can see getting a flat tarp in the future too with a bivy, I like the simplicity in decent weather

tdot

WKR
Sounds like a solid system. I still want a borah bivy... I am going to go that direction vs a nest for my silex, I can use it with my eolus too, or any other shelter I end up with.

I can see getting a flat tarp in the future too with a bivy, I like the simplicity in decent weather
That's exactly why I like the Borah Bivy, it works in all my shelters, including my flat tarp. The Borah Hybrid bivy has more protection at the head then their bug bivy, but way more bug net/ventilation then their regular bivy. It's covers all my needs, in basically all my hunting scenarios.