What does your state do for landowners and licenses/tags?

sndmn11

WKR
The Montana LO bill thread sparked my wonderment.

I just assumed what CO does is pretty close to the norm.
-LO draws separately and in addition to the regular
-Transferable vouchers
-LO preference points
-Ownership requirement of 160 contiguous acres within the unit
-Application quantity increases on a tiered scale with land amount
-Restricted (private land only NOT the LO's land only->any private) and Unrestricted (hunt code wide)

What I am learning is that doesn't seem to be the case. Now I am curious about what your state does for landowner licenses. I could look it up, and kill a day on the goggles, but I am sure many of you have answers enough to cut that down into a five-minute read.

sram9102

WKR
Indiana allows for anyone in your family (parents and kids) to hunt anything without a license on their own land, just abide by seasons and bag limits. Just purchase federal stamps for birds and go hunt.

Edit: Indiana also has a reciprocity rule for NR landowners. If your home state allows NR landowners to hunt the same species of game without a license you are given the same benefit here.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
In PA we have DMAP and red tag programs that you can enroll in to get additional antlerless tags for management purposes. This is designed to allow farmers and land managers another avenue to reduce the herd in a more controlled way compared to the general tags sold at the Wildlife Managment Unit level.

For regular hunters on their own property though we have nothing special. Every hunter gets one buck tag and other than a couple high population WMUs you can get more doe tags than you could easily fill. You are limited to 6 at a given time but if you report the harvest you can get as many as are left in the WMU.

TSAMP

WKR
Iowa LO/Tenant license is for residents only. children/spouse of land owner residing at the address of owner (doesn't have to be the farms address) or an tenant paying a cash lease who has direct influence on decisions made annually for the farm. It expresses that simply working on the farm and being paid a wage doesn't qualify.

It's fairly strict in my opinion. I can confirm a LO does not need a hunting license to get a LO tag and hunt only on their land.

In Georgia, landowners who are residents do not have to buy a big game hunting license or a hunting license, as long as they have some form of government ID, and are hunting only on their own land.

Nonresident landowners do have to buy a hunting license and big game license, unless they previously were a resident of Georgia and bought a Lifetime Sportsman's License before moving out of state.

All resident and non-resident landowners must download the free harvest log, and log any harvests of deer, turkey, or bear immediately upon harvest.

There is no minimum amount of acreage required.

The limit for deer per season in Georgia is 12, of which no more than 2 may be antlered. Bow season runs from early September to early January, and Rifle season runs from mid Oct to early January.

KurtR

WKR
This is south dakota

New for 2021: A limited number of reduced-priced East River licenses are now available to qualifying nonresidents. A separate application is available for these licenses and qualified applicants must apply online. LANDOWNER ELIGIBILITY Resident Qualifying resident landowners and “owner/operators,” and any “immediate family” living at home, who have not been issued a big game license that permits the harvest of a buck during the West River Deer, West River Special Buck, East River Deer, East River Special Buck, Black Hills Deer, or Firearms Antelope seasons may obtain a reduced-price license to hunt on land owned or leased by the qualifying resident for the specified season and unit. Qualifying resident landowners and “owner/operators” may purchase one “any deer” license or a two-tag license (“any deer” and “any antlerless deer”) for the West River, East River, and Black Hills Deer seasons, and one “any antelope” or a two-tag license (“any antelope” and “any doe/fawn antelope”) for the Firearms Antelope season. Resident landowners must own or lease for “agricultural purposes” a minimum of 160 acres of privately-owned land and actually reside on the land, or be an “owner/operator” of the land to qualify. A qualifying landowner or tenant, but not both, may apply for the same qualifying property. Employment on a farm or ranch alone does not qualify an individual for this license. The qualifying applicant’s land, as described on their application, must be within the hunting unit applied for and be an area open for hunting. Nonresident Qualifying nonresident landowners and “owner/operators,” and any “immediate family” living at home, who have not been issued a big game license that permits the harvest of a buck during the West River Deer, West River Special Buck, or Firearms Antelope seasons may obtain a reduced-price license to hunt on land owned or leased by the qualifying nonresident for the specified season and unit. Nonresident landowners can only obtain a license to harvest a buck on their own land in East River Deer via a lottery drawing (see Nonresident East River application). Qualifying nonresident landowners and “owner/operators” may purchase one “any deer” license or a two-tag license (“any deer” and “any antlerless deer”) for the West River Deer season. Qualifying nonresident landowners and “owner/operators” may apply for one “any antelope” or a two-tag license (“any antelope” and “any doe/fawn antelope”) for the Firearms Antelope season. • West River Deer: Nonresident landowners must own for “agricultural purposes” a minimum of 640 contiguous acres and be an “owner/operator” of the land to qualify. Nonresident landowners are eligible for a West River reduced-price license if eligibility requirements are met. • East River Deer: East River nonresident landowner licenses are only available via a lottery drawing (see Nonresident East River Landowner application.) • Black Hills Deer: Nonresident landowners are ineligible for a Black Hills Reduced-priced Landowner licenses. The qualifying applicant’s land, as described on their application, must be within the hunting unit applied for and be an area open for hunting. Residents and Nonresident • Legal entities, including shareholders of a corporation, members of an LLC holding a membership interest in the company, partners in a partnership, and beneficiaries of a trust entitled to the current income and assets held in trust, organized and in good standing under the laws of this state are eligible if: o The resident entity holds title to 160 acres or more of private land located within the hunting unit applied for. o The nonresident entity holds title to 640 contiguous acres or more (West River Deer) of private land located within the hunting unit applied for. o The shareholder, member, partner, or trust beneficiary is responsible for making the day-to-day management decisions for “agricultural purposes” on the farm or ranch. • “Agricultural purposes” means the producing, raising, growing, or harvesting of food or fiber upon agricultural land, including dairy products, livestock, crops, timber, and grasslands. Land leased solely for hunting, fishing, or trapping is not considered agricultural purposes. • “Owner/Operator” means an individual holding fee title to farm or ranch real property who is directly involved in the management decisions made for agricultural purposes on the farm or ranch. • “Immediate Family” means the qualifying applicant’s spouse or a child who resides with the qualify

North Dakota
deer only for any legal weapon and legal season
(there are specific application codes with better odds % for landowner elk, antelope, and moose)

1. The total number of rifle tags per hunt code (species, sex) is set.
2. 1% of the tags per hunt code are set aside for nonresidents
3. Anyone with 150 acres or more of land can apply for a landowner tag
4. Total landowner tags are taken from the remaining tags (after 1% is withdrawn for NR)
5. general resident public can now enter a lottery for the remaining tags.

Gratis tags come out of the available rifle tags. So if there are 300 antlered mule deer rifle tags in unit 7A, then 3 are set aside for NRs off the top. Landowners then get to submit their request for a gratis tag (100% approval if qualified). So let's say 150 landowners get a tag through the gratis system in the unit 7A example, there are now 147 tags remaining for the resident public to enter a lottery for. Only one gratis tag is allowed per family (unless people are playing games with putting land in several people's names). The tag can only be transferred to an immediate family member (child, spouse). The tags can only be hunted on the land submitted with the application. People with gratis tags can also enter the general lottery from which they've already a claimed a tag from.

(unless people are playing games with putting land in several people's names).
Isn't this whats going on with a couple different large farming families for the gratis elk tags in the Walhalla area E1E? (No clue if it's true just what I've heard from a buddy a mine who farms west of there)

Also the NR landowner tags comes out of the 1% NR deduction. There are a handful of units that i know that all the NR tags go to NR landowners. I've tried multiple times to ask the ND G&F for data on how many NR landowners are applying each year in which unit and they have denied my request every time.

WV...no license needed for hunting on your own property if your a resident must follow established bag limits..NR absentee landowners must buy NR tags. So I pay property taxes and NR license fees. Thank you sir may I have another!

SC..no land owner tags...but we get 5 deer tags with our $25 big game combo license, additional 4 doe tags and 2 restricted buck tags are available they are 5 bucks each. No bag limit and no closed season on hogs..They do offer deer quota program. For 50 bucks they have a formula they use to issue additional tags to be used on the parcel based on the formula. I have seen 40-60 doe tags issued based on the parcel characteristics.

No license required to hunt your own land, I can't remember if that includes parents, but kids and grandkids.

Actually I believe even tenants of land they live on with written landowner permission.

But we can't get GW to show up for poaching and the such, so there's that. I'd be happy to spend more on license and tags if we could get more enforcement, but it will probably not help.

Also the NR landowner tags comes out of the 1% NR deduction. There are a handful of units that i know that all the NR tags go to NR landowners. I've tried multiple times to ask the ND G&F for data on how many NR landowners are applying each year in which unit and they have denied my request every time.
The proclamation makes it sounds otherwise, but pretty sure you are correct. It has been several years since an antlered rifle tag has been available in the unit I grew up because there are none left after the NR landowner withdrawal. It is what it is. I can't speak to if people are actually putting land titles under several family members, but it is legal for a family to have more than one gratis tag if that's how things are structured.

ND is 99/1???

Well, I sure hope I never see anyone from ND complaining about western states screwing NR's ever again!
Almost comical isn't it? But wait, there's more! They don't even offer NR tags for elk, moose, pronghorn, or mountain lion. Comparatively, they're generous with turkeys which they'll let you hunt as long as there are left over tags that no one else wants. The only reason there's a NR sheep tag is because the whole program is paid for by WSF. As I've said before, it doesn't bother me really at all that I'm locked out since it's their decision to allocate as they wish and mine to move away; but as you said, no one from that state better ever be complaining about allocation in other states!

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
The Montana LO bill thread sparked my wonderment.

I just assumed what CO does is pretty close to the norm.
-LO draws separately and in addition to the regular
-Transferable vouchers
-LO preference points
-Ownership requirement of 160 contiguous acres within the unit
-Application quantity increases on a tiered scale with land amount
-Restricted (private land only NOT the LO's land only->any private) and Unrestricted (hunt code wide)

What I am learning is that doesn't seem to be the case. Now I am curious about what your state does for landowner licenses. I could look it up, and kill a day on the goggles, but I am sure many of you have answers enough to cut that down into a five-minute read.
In Iowa out of state landowners get nothing they still have to draw nonresident tags 3 year or more wait from what I’m told

yfarm

WKR
Iowa resident LO gets LO deer permit as noted above, no LO deer permit available for NR. NR LO can hunt upland and watefowl on their land without license as can their juvenile children, adult children must have license regardless of residency. Stamps are still required for LOs.
Only avenue to deer tag for NR LO is the lottery. As many family farms have multiple owners as farms pass thru generations it is not uncommon for R and NR to co own the property, resulting in some members being allowed to continue historical uses while others are denied in the same family based solely on residency.
Another topic for a survey would be on different states approach to historical uses of land as cities and towns annex rural land far outside their settled boundaries. In Iowa, once you are within the boundaries, firearm hunting is over. In Texas, your historical uses are preserved if you are annexed. Have dove hunted inside the city limits of Austin, usually someone calls the police, police arrive and explain to the complainant that historical uses are allowed on that parcel.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Isn't this whats going on with a couple different large farming families for the gratis elk tags in the Walhalla area E1E? (No clue if it's true just what I've heard from a buddy a mine who farms west of there)

It is going on everywhere. Cut out 150acres and throw a kids name on it or your wife's name who doesn't even hunt. I know farmers our area thats family gets 3-4 tags every year...plus if Gratis tag owner has a family member that draws a regular tag they can hunt in that unit with them and don't have to be on the land which the Gratis tag was allocated for. Up to 50% of the NR (whitetail buck) tags automatically go to guides and outfitters. That tag has to be bought by a NR but they actually do not have to be guided. The outfitter/guide can simply sell their NR buddy the tag and he can hunt on his own.

in our unit there are around 10-12 NR tags available each year. 5-6 go to guides/outfitters (even there is literally no outfitters or guides advertising hunts in the area). NR landowners suck up 1-4 of them a year. Some years 4 actually make it to the draw some years 1.

What I don't get is there are years in the western units there are literally ZERO tags that make it to the draw but you still get charged for an application fee/point? How does that make sense?

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Iowa resident LO gets LO deer permit as noted above, no LO deer permit available for NR. NR LO can hunt upland and watefowl on their land without license as can their juvenile children, adult children must have license regardless of residency. Stamps are still required for LOs.
Only avenue to deer tag for NR LO is the lottery. As many family farms have multiple owners as farms pass thru generations it is not uncommon for R and NR to co own the property, resulting in some members being allowed to continue historical uses while others are denied in the same family based solely on residency.
Another topic for a survey would be on different states approach to historical uses of land as cities and towns annex rural land far outside their settled boundaries. In Iowa, once you are within the boundaries, firearm hunting is over. In Texas, your historical uses are preserved if you are annexed. Have dove hunted inside the city limits of Austin, usually someone calls the police, police arrive and explain to the complainant that historical uses are allowed on that parcel.
Only 1 resident landowner per farm can get landowner tags