What flashlight do you bring along on day hunts?

jd65

Lil-Rokslider
Hand held or headlamp or ? What do you bring along and why do yo recommend it? My budget is around $50-$75. Thanks

Look at zebra lights. Cheaper ones come in your budget. Petzel Tikka or tactikka and black diamond have some good lights in that price range.

I don’t skimp on a flashlight just because I am out for the day. I carry at least one good light plus my phone can be a back up. Day hunt long enough and you will be walking out in the dark for one reason or another. Or you May be breaking down an animal if you are lucky. Regardless, you will want a capable light.

I've used the Petzel Tikka+ as my main with no backup besides my phone before.

This year because we'll be in grizzly country I'm using a Black Diamond Spot as my primary because I like the feature where you touch the side and it instantly gets a lot brighter. And as additional precaution I'm carrying a Nitecor P12, kinda like a tactical flashlight. I figure in a pinch I can always tie it to my dead headlamp strap with some paracord for handsfree. And then there's always the phone as a double backup. I'll carry an extra set of batteries for both because I'd really prefer to watch if a grizzly decides to chew on me.

hikenhunt

WKR
black diamond spot is an awesome headlamp. Just be sure you know how to use it before you head out. Never needed a backup light, but I guess I would have my phone for that

I used an old head lamp for years that had like 15 lumens max output, and carried a streamlight flashlight for blood trailing.

The last couple years I’ve been using a Black Diamond headlamp, which sounds similar to the one mentioned above. It does red and white light with one touch adjustment to max output. It’s bright enough that there’s no need for the hand held flashlight anymore. I think I paid $50 for this light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
Some sort of head lamp is always in my pack or pocket. Usually two. Last year my old black diamond began having issues and I replaced it with a petzel I believe. Sierratradingpost usually has some on sale.

OP
J

jd65

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm leaning towards buying two Black Diamonds. Is there any reason to bring a handheld light along? The intended use will be for day hunts in the Rockies. I suppose a small handheld can double as a truck flashlight when not hunting.

mcseal2

WKR
I like the Black Diamond ReVolt. For a back-up it depends. On a AK or other longer hunt we take a second ReVolt for the group in case one screws up. We carry 3 AAA lithium batteries also just in case the rechargeable battery screws up in one. I like my primary headlamp to have a lock function to keep it from turning on accidentally.

I always carry a little 1.2oz Streamlight Micro USB rechargeable light in my bino harness. If I drop my pack in pursuit of something and it gets dark on me, I at least have the little Streamlight on me to help relocate it.

I always have a battery pack with me to keep my phone with OnX maps charged up so it makes sense to me to run rechargeable lights. I like being able to top off my headlamp each night so I know I'm starting with full battery life each day. The little battery pack also has a small LED light built into it just in case it would ever be needed.

Felix40

WKR
I have two ozark trail headlamps I bought myself for like $16 each because im cheap. I have had them for like 7 years. They are legit.

I also have a black diamond my wife bought me as a gift. Its good too but the lense has a crack in it. The one feature I love is that it locks so it wont turn on accidentally in your pack.

I have a couple Black Diamonds and a bunch of other brands. Nothing wrong with any of them. But I just picked up a Nitecore HC60 from Drop. 1000 lumens on max, light as hell, compact, and rechargeable with the included lithium ion battery.

Zebralight 5X/5XX (AA) or 6X/6XX (18650) series headlamp. These lights have very nice moonlight modes but can also light up the entire woods if needed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Is there any reason to bring a handheld light along?

The only time I like a head lamp is when I'm breaking down an animal in the dark. Otherwise I'm using my little flashlight in my hand and covering most the light. I just use enough of the light to see where I'm going. This Life Gear is perfect at only ~4" with 80 lumens, and uses a single AA battery that lasts for months. Unfortunately, just like everything else I really like, they discontinued these.

100_3899.JPG

Jimss

WKR
I switched totally over to headlamps. Always nice to have hands free! Not sure why the need for a flashlight? It's nice to have the red light option when you don't want to spook game. You ought to find some great reviews on top headlamps if you do a web search.

I switched totally over to headlamps. Always nice to have hands free! Not sure why the need for a flashlight? It's nice to have the red light option when you don't want to spook game. You ought to find some great reviews on top headlamps if you do a web search.

Totally agree, except maybe having a tiny light on a neck lanyard that you can access quickly when needed.