What gear are you going to ditch (or ditched)?

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
Good call. Why people pack sidearms in addition to rifles is beyond me.
I pack a sidearm because I'm slow as hell, kinda fat, & if some goofball(s) is/are crazy enough to mess with a girl & her protective dog in the middle of nowhere, I'm gonna need to be able to use whatever's available. I also shoot USPSA, & am more effective at close range with a handgun than a rifle.

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
The beauty of the Gun Bearer is setting it up so you do have access to the rifle.

Otherwise you're pretty much saying "ok, I'm going to pack an 8 pound rifle, but I'm going to carry it in such a away that I can't get to it. I know! I'll carry 3 pound sidearm, that's the solution..." Why not just carry the rifle so you can get at it? But that's just like...my opinion, man.

The fact that the only other way to really mount it has the tip of my barrel hitting me or the stock bouncing off my hip. For 50 miles. Hard pass.

If 3 lbs makes or breaks you, you need to hit the gym harder.

Antares

WKR
The fact that the only other way to really mount it has the tip of my barrel hitting me or the stock bouncing off my hip. For 50 miles. Hard pass.

Sounds good. If you're at all interested, you might look at how you've got that gun bearer set up. The rifle shouldn't be hitting you or bouncing around. Carry on (see what I did there?)

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I ditched FB, processed foods, liberals, and china made products in 2021.

I ditched my 2019 ram cummins for a 2005 suburban.

I ditched my good friend when he got caught skrewing his wifes best friend.

Going forward I'll be more selective of my friends and any stuble red flags will warrant an immeadiate auto ghosting.

Ill only buy 20yr old vehicles from now on and without emmissions, DEF fluid or AFM

I never did do grip and grins, but Im still coming out west to hunt evry year

Hunting partners. Most of my headaches this season were caused by the others in my group.

One guy who was completely unprepared, to the point we had to make an emergency stop at cabelas on the way out for binoculars. He also almost burned down my tent by trying to light my TI stove with camp fuel, after I told him it was a terrible idea and don’t try it. Luckily the only casualty was my sleep mat.

Another guy who decided taking a time lapse photo was more important than being on the glass at first light opening morning on elk we had put to bed the night before. I passed on a perfect broadside shot on a nice legal bull waiting for him to un **** himself, swap his DSLR for a spotter and spin around to actually look at the hillside with elk.

Lastly after three days most were more interested in hanging around town, getting hotels, drinking at camp, etc than actually hunting.

I’ve got one guy I’ll hunt with again and really enjoy spending time with. That said I’m in the mood for a solo trip after this past year.

Ditched my Jetboil last year. That thing is heavy plus the antihunting sentiment.

I like Jetboil but understand the weight (imo they're worth it if you're going to be packing your tent on your back for more than three days).

That said there have been several posts here showing that Jetboil is not anti-hunting, despite the rumors. Here's an example of a Rokslider getting a pro-hunting email response from Jetboil: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/jetboil-minimo-or-msr-windburner.133678/#post-1828466

Deadfall

WKR
I’ve never used a gun bearer so I’m not commenting on it. I used to only carry my rifle in grizzly country, where I live, but after a few bear encounters and especially the Mark Uptain attack I now carry a handgun and my rifle.

I don’t know how I’d cut up an elk with a rifle in my hands or even in a gun bearer. But it’s easy to do with a handgun in a holster or bear spray. I kill quite a few elk alone and I’d rather have that tool available to me. It isnt a fail safe but I’m not going to not have it because of some weight. Yes I know the overall risk of a bear attack is low, but the consequences of being unarmed or out of reach of my weapon during a bear attack are too high. And a few pounds of additional weight are a very low cost.
You might take a look at the bearer. Tgat thing us super handy. Had some hunters this year with it. Pretty slick. Makes packing a rifle more comfortable then any other way. Matter of fact I'm ordering one real soon.
Not trying to talk you out of carrying both. Just a plug for gun bearer. Makes rifle packing better

Deadfall

WKR
No more bear spray.

Done trying to talk myself into retiring from guiding. Accepted I'm never going to be wealthy...getting guys through the ups and downs into the other side is pretty rewarding. Especially new cats that don't know. Then sitting on side of mountain with harvest, reliving the tribulations of the hunt. Giving the big guy a bit of our time and gratitude. Is usually fairly emotional for the hunters. Especially if they in high stress jobs back in world.

Also the thing that finally pushed me over the edge. Every since buying a kifaru pack few years ago, I been eyeballing stuff. This is the year!

Titan_Bow

WKR
I like Jetboil but understand the weight (imo they're worth it if you're going to be packing your tent on your back for more than three days).

That said there have been several posts here showing that Jetboil is not anti-hunting, despite the rumors. Here's an example of a Rokslider getting a pro-hunting email response from Jetboil: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/jetboil-minimo-or-msr-windburner.133678/#post-1828466

I’ve never had a jetboil, just use a pocket rocket and lightweight cup. What is the added benefit to the jet boil over just a cup and pocket rocket type stove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never had a jetboil, just use a pocket rocket and lightweight cup. What is the added benefit to the jet boil over just a cup and pocket rocket type stove?

IMO both are great options, almost regardless of the uses/preferences; trade-offs either way are small. Jetboil also makes several types, from ultralite pocket rocket-style to cook pots to the Flash (which is what most people think of) to pots for cooking in that allow you to regulate heat level. Minor advantages of the Jetboil Flash over a cup and pocket rocket are that it will boil water faster and use less fuel to do it, and (depending on the pocket rocket style) it more resistant to wind. So although the unit is heavier, for extended trips the overall kitchen pack weight can be lower due to needing fewer fuel cannisters, and then there is the time savings. If you're only using the stove for boiling water, and doing extended trips, and especially in windy higher altitude, then the Jetboil Flash is a pretty good option. IMO it's also easier to pour water out of it and into a Mountain House, etc; but these are all minor advantages. Where I think the Toaks cup and mini stove shine are when you're going to do more than boil water, need a separate cup for drinking/stirring, and still want to be ultralite.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
I ditched the fancy hunting camo pants, jackets, and gear. I just wear regular jeans or at most some basic tan $25 cargo pants. Have some pull on/over rain or wet weather gear for adverse weather (non-camo). Layers, comfort, and low cost. The price of the new performance clothing market has just become stupid.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Looking to ditch plastic nalgenes this year. I was looking at a wide mouth hydro flask, so I could fill it with a hot beverage in the morning when I leave camp and have it through a morning hunt. Might just combine that with a smart water bottle and call it a day.
Probably going to ditch my MSR sweet water this year. It has served me well but filling up a couple 32oz water bottles and a 4L bladder can take a LONG time and lots of pumping!

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been eyeballing a piranta. What is the safety issue?
This has been answered but I thought he was referring to cutting with a dull blade.
Good call. Why people pack sidearms in addition to rifles is beyond me.
When I carry my climber with my winter coveralls draped over them on way to a tree, it's awkward to raise my rifle effectively. I carry one for coyotes (even tho there's probably no real need) and possibly hogs. Then there are potential escaped convicts from the neighboring prison... :) (hey, it's happened to people before!)
stern mountains so different, but i have gone to drinking at least two nalgenes with a liquid IV 1-2
My daughter joined x-country this year at school. I'm not a runner per se, but I asked the coach what she meant specifically when telling the kids to hydrate. Actually, the old-timer assistant told me they should be drinking a fair bit for three days prior to a meet. Interesting. BTW, what is "liquid IV"? A product?
The other item I added was gaiters. Won't go back to hunting without them if it's remotely wet or snowy!
I've been wondering about using gaiters out west. The ones I had been seeing were obviously not snake gaiters like I've seen out east. What are the uses of gaiters? Keeping snow out? How about thorns? What else?
Going to try a neoprene
Your comment was in regard to flip-caps for Scopes like Butler Creek. I'm thinking of the neoprene myself.
Well, I just need to hit the gym, period.
Going back to paper maps. Having the flat phone running in the backcountry (or in the truck) gets on my nerves and distracts me from hunting.
Map-reading is becoming a lost skill. What kind of maps do you carry? Printed from Google or purchased topos?
ing camo pants, jackets, and gear. I just wear regular jeans or at most some basic tan $25 cargo pants. Have some pull on/over rain or wet weather gear for adverse weather (non-camo). Layers, comfort, and low cost. The price of the new performance
Probably a good idea. I'm in the cheap camp now but I admit to loving the look of the high-end stuff like KUIU and all that. Deer hunting now out east, I wear milsurp woodland camo cargo pants and Walmart camo. I swear I'm going to try jeans and a black/red plaid shirt sometimes. For my first hunt out west, I've been trying to justify the nice camo but perhaps, I'll get a pair of Desert tan milsurp pants. The best part of these milsurp pants is getting them in XLong!!! (I accidentally ordered a pair of XXLong and the inseam 38.5 inches.)
ditching plastic Nalgene bottles
Why ditching these? Eliminating plastic or a problem with the bottles themselves?

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
This has been answered but I thought he was referring to cutting with a dull blade.

I decided against a replaceable blade knife. Went with a Goat. I haven’t been able to use it yet but it seems pretty awesome. I’m gonna have to go kill something so I can try it.

Agross

WKR
. BTW, what is "liquid IV"? A product?

Yes. Check it out. I drink a decent amount of it. I drink the orange flavored immune support the most because it has more vitamin c. It does have a fair amount of sugar in it though.

Northpark

WKR
Ditched carbs and sugar. Feel way better and easily dropped 20lbs.

Gear wise. Ditched the spotter at this point and plan on ditching my 15x50 vipers and 10x40s for one pair of 11x45 mavens.