What is Difference Between Daypack VS Backpack

Generally the frame is the difference. Day packs usually have little to no frame and are meant for light loads as the weight is carried on the shoulders.

A true backpack has a frame either internal or external that extends above the shoulders for load lifters. This gives the user the ability to transfer the weight between the shoulders and the hips. Heavier weight is easier to carry on the hips.

They make day packs with internal frames but unless it extends above your shoulders it is just to give rigidity to the bag.

Most of the hunting style packs compress to almost nothing and have interchangeable bags. So you can use them as day packs but they have the ability to carry out heavy loads should you knock something down.

I use a day pack for day hikes and scouting without a spotter. I usually am only carrying water, snacks, and a couple of layers.

I switch to a framed pack when the weight goes up or when I might have to carry something out.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: pc3
My “backpack” compresses down to a “daypack” quite nicely. It’s amazing that a 7200 CI pack that can pack all a guy can handle and then some, can cinch down to virtually nothing when traveling light. It weighs in at just 6 lbs empty.

Welcome.

capcity/size, frame, cost, use

there are plenty of options that blur the lines but once something gets big enough to pack for a night or two, it really isn’t a day pack. I have a few that range from 20-38 liters. my overnight packs are 45 to 80 liters.

things get mighty subjective and I have spent many nights sleeping in nothing but my clothes with the water in my canteen and an MRE stuffed in my cargo pocket So a daypack is whatever you take when you don’t sleep overnight really.

if you are just starting out, anything wil do. Something for snacks and a little gear is fine. Jansport. Plenty of cheap surplus packs. Mystery Ranch has some great options.

overnight packs are a whole different ballgame and get pretty pricey.