What is Driggs, Idaho like?

Phaseolus

WKR
Just curious, my Wife and I are retired and sometimes dream of living elswhere in a different small rural community. Having close access to skiing, hunting, and fishing in a relatively mild climate that isn’t as hot as Grand Junction (Palisade) where we live now would be pluses. Our home is paid off and comfortable so that may hiold us in place but is is fun to dream. Comments?

Only been a couple times so others will have much better input. I was considering areas in western WY for income tax and annual elk hunting reasons and Driggs seems to be much more affordable than anywhere nearby on the other side of the WY line. It's a neat little town with everything you need and nothing you don't.

Definitely cheaper than Jackson Wyoming to live in. Very close to any outdoor activities. The weather is a little rough if you’re not used to long winters and lots of snow. Real estate is still much more money than the rest of east Idaho. Very pretty area. 18 degrees and snowing there currently. Pretty typical for much of the winter. With some sub zero temps.

TheTone

WKR
Others covered it fairly well. Its a spendy place to live for Idaho and winter can truly be awful, unless you really like snow. Culturally its kinda different, a mix of younger progressive types that have moved their for recreation and locals that are very, very conservative. Can be a tough place to make friends if you don't fit the mold or beliefs. It does have grizzly bears if that is a concern as well.

OP
Phaseolus

Phaseolus

WKR
Thaks Guys, I appreciate the replies. I’ve lived in Durango and Steamboat Springs which are pretty snowy and loved them. I am just kind of musing about what if’s at the moment. Being near a ski area is as important as other activities. If you ski, it takes the dislike for winter out of the picture to a certain extent.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up in American Falls, it's a couple hours southwest. We never went to Driggs much, usually we'd go down through Palisades reservoir when going to Jackson, but I have friends that have lived there and gotten mixed reviews.

You're close enough to the Tetons that it's a really scenic area but the cost of living and the property values in close proximity to Jackson are still ridiculous. If the Teton pass closes, which it routinely does, then you're options are going to be fairly limited. I don't like to drag the LDS card into it either but it is a heavily dominated LDS area throughout Southeastern Idaho. Expect some missionaries to show up at your door and to be alienated to a point if you aren't part of the local church. I'm a little biased from my experience growing up there but that was one part I didn't appreciate.

All this being said, there are worse places to live (Pocatello lol) and you have pretty close access to Grand Targhee, which in my opinion is the top ski mountain in the area! You're also really close to Yellowstone and Island Park so that's another bonus.

After living in East Idaho most of my life, and recreating near Driggs for some of it, there are pros and cons (just like everywhere else). Pros- if you like winter, you'll love Driggs. July and August are really the only warm months. Lots of good fishing, but access is dissapearing. Hunting is close, but lots of hunters, and locals can be pretty ignorant if you happen to get near them. Cons- cold...Damn cold. With slick roads it's a pretty good drive to a town of any size. Political views Tha range across the spectrum...most being hard right conservative or waayyyyy left wing communist, er Democrat. Overall, it's a pretty nice place, probably similar to Durango in a lot of ways.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just watch "Napoleon Dynamite"....pretty much nails it....:D
That's Preston ID which is ten minutes from me lol. I'm still trying to throw over them rocky mountains. Need some coaching from Rico

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk