What is "Long Range" Shooting

wapitibob

WKR
Two years ago hunting in WY, 300 was a long shot with that gun. This year, new gun, optics, turret, good rangefinder, and ballistics app. Zeroed at 200, checked at 400 and 600, 350 yards wasn't close to fair to the animals.

This is the most civil thread I have ever seen on this topic! I like it. My long range is 500 to 600 yards right now with my set up. I feel comfortable shooting that and am happy with that distance. I look forward to stretching that out down the road once I get a custom barrel on my rig but for now 600 is awesome. Before I bought my new set up 400 was the max I would shoot and that was a perfectly calm day so it only gets better. I agree that it is whatever you feel comfortable and can consistently make an ethical shot at.

30-338mag

FNG
In God We Trust, Were lucky living in Co as we have good place to shoot 1000yds @ Byers plus if you got places to shoot PD.

The last 10 year year have been the biggest gain in LR bullets and you got to have those first then everything will follow IMHO. You never have the 338 Edge without 300gr bullets same with the Allen mag rifles for LR. Berger coming out with 7mm 195gr VLD and Matrix making 190gr bullet for the 7mm plus 165gr and 175gr for the 270's. My 1/11 twist 30-338mag will handle Berger's 185gr VLD hunting bullet and soon as my 270Wby finished I'm going to try some of the Matrix bullets.

Glass is pretty easy to buy scope same with mounts rifle takes planning and time to have build and the big debate is always which caliber. Well good luck

Last edited:

Jay Kyle

FNG
Lots of good posts to show one consistent answer, it's operating at the upper end of your lethal range. Saying it as lethal range implies you're also within the weapons lethal capability - but all long range folks already understand that. It's one of those skills we enjoy honing.

Weapons include anything from a Cheytac down to a spear (e.g.)

An interesting read along this line is on Lilja's website about their early Long Range exploits