What is the one ‘non-essential’ item you take on every hunt?

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
My Bose noise cancelling earphones. I have a corded earbud style that is light and compact. The sound, quality and durability make them worth every penny! My hunting partner snores and I’m a light sleeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I bring my iPad to watch movies on rainy days. Although, last year it was so windy and nasty we couldn't hear anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Book - not essential until you are weathered in for a whole day. Also great for starting fires, leaving notes, etc.

Kindle paperwhite, lighter than multiple books or mags. Love to have time to actually read a novel....never do at home. part of the hunting adventure for me.

To base camp I always take A&W rootbeer, but for packing in I don't take anything non-essential. But I haven't had a soda in months so I doubt that the A&W will make the trip this year.

My Bose noise cancelling earphones. I have a corded earbud style that is light and compact The sound, quality and durability make them worth every penny! My hunting partner snores and I’m a light sleeper ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Headphones for sure, also good to download a bunch of podcasts and listen to those while glassing.

I've got a bunch of them, they all have to do with actually killing an animal or processing it after, but this year is going to be different!

Peanut M&M’s and Skittles are staples in my pack. Not necessary but they sure make me feel better. And the sugar is a nice energy boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a small rhino that goes everywhere with me. My kids gave it to me in September of 2006 and I’ve carried it everyday since then.

A fixed blade knife or at least a second blade for my Gerber Bolt Action folding knife that can function as a second knife if needed. I feel like a knife, lighter, and headlamp are the items important enough I don't want to have just one. I'm thinking of getting a Benchmade Altitude to leave in my little fire/med/repair kit I always pack as my designated second knife. I could use it for finer work on game and have it as a lightweight back-up.

I keep lots of stuff at the truck, whiskey included!

Back