What is your Browning Xbolt Pro setup?

LightFoot

WKR
How are you running your xbolt pro? Optics? Bipod?

Taken anything with it yet?

I'm making the "investment" in a one next weekend. Just wanted see the company I'll keep.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Have a xbolt hells canyon speed...vortex viper 4-16x44...not the best optics but can't afford nightforce😬...love the gun tho...handloads 1/2 moa. Shot a bear and a meat doe but other than that nothing. I hunted moose with it last year but dropped it down a big rock slope. I was hunting to hard to make sure it was on so just used the old weatherby. Also I run a Harris bipod and Talley mounts.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider

I'm making the "investment" in a one next weekend. Just wanted see the company I'll keep.

What caliber are you looking at? I was looking at the browning website earlier this week and seen the new for 2019 x-bolt pro tungsten and really like that lightweight setup.

OP
LightFoot

LightFoot

WKR
Going with the 300 WSM. I like the tungsten, too.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I gotta quit looking at new rifles since I started looking I found 3 different brand rifles that I really like and I want 1 of each haha

I've got the Pro Tungsten 300 WSM with the Tally lightweight rings and Leupold mark 5HD.
It's incredibly light and surprising little kick.
Just started breaking it in, it's shooting great out of the box!
No bipod for me, I carry the Primos trigger stick -Jim Schocky version.

You're going to love this model!!!

OP
LightFoot

LightFoot

WKR
Pulled the trigger.

300 WSM, Xbolt Pro Tungsten
Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42

Gonna see how it does during break-in tomorrow if the weather holds.

ea3cc58245dd09e0150fe3a66688bcc9.jpg

This is not good for my gun addiction, I've been jonesing for a 300 win mag to go with my HC Speed 30 06!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can find one in stock local is the only thing stopping me....ugggg

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
I have an X bolt pro in 6.5 CM with the Sig BDX system and have been shooting out to 730 yards with it, and as long I get the wind right I will ring steel. At 100 yards the best group I got has been just over 1/2 MOA and I hand load

OP
LightFoot

LightFoot

WKR
jdubrr which BDX do you have. I have the 3.5 x 10 on my 30 06. Been thinking of getting the 4.5 x 14.
I'm interested, too. The system looks awesome. I'd love to know the abuse... err... I mean "use" it will withstand. (i.e. airline baggage handlers)

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested, too. The system looks awesome. I'd love to know the abuse... err... I mean "use" it will withstand. (i.e. airline baggage handlers)

the sytems works as advertised (which is rare) as long as you enter the correct ballistic info for your rifle. I haven't flown with my rifle only back and forth to the range so I can't comment on "rough handling"

OP
LightFoot

LightFoot

WKR
Range today for barrel break-in and getting rough groups.

Hornady Precision Hunter 200gr ELD-X grouped the best. (pictured)

Winchester Power Point 180gr & Browning BXC 185gr did not group near as well.
c5e0ab6fed813a01f0ffb818f187d560.jpg
7b0b7b078cac69c2dfb6e540c75f9bb1.jpg

In my 30 06 HC Speed the Hornady 178 ELDX were the best followed by a tie for second with the Federal Trophy Bonded tip and Trophy copper 180s. They all were less than 1 MOA at 100 yards and were tight at 200 yards (never measured). The differences in theses 3 rounds was amazingly small!!!!

OP
LightFoot

LightFoot

WKR
I will do a review when I get some more range time and take it to the field.
Initial impressions are good.

The stock is light and looks good. It has some small bedding in front of the recoil lug. The finish is not duratouch, which I did not realize when I ordered it. It is not sticky or rough, but somewhere in between. The texture on the pistol grip and foreend are more pronounced than on the HC Speed.

The bolt is smooth and locks up solidly. However, among the first 20 rounds of browning and cheap winchester loads, it was way too tight which created a difficulty in locking and extracting. After the 20 or so rounds, firing 1 or 2 rounds and then brushing or snaking the bore, I switched to the Hornady rounds and had zero issues.

Trigger was heavy and I made some adjustments after the range. It is still heavier than I would prefer, but it will be left as in for this season.

Recoil is tame with the brake on it. I did not shoot it without the brake. Still might be too much recoil for a sensitive shooter, but a couple hours at the range was not a challenge.

Barrel heats up quickly, as expected with a magnum and barrel of this contour. I did not shoot any strings over 3, so I can say how performance may be affected. Since this is a big game hunting rifle, I do not believe 4+ round consistency is required. 3 is enough for me. As you can see in the previous photo, those 3 rounds are pretty consistent.

The balance is good with the optics mounted. The titanium rail and the rings used are a little more weight than needed. Talley lightweight 2pc set would be a better fit for the current setup. Points and shoots well. I could use another inch in the LOP, but I feel that way about almost all rifles.

The Vortex is good, but I will probably switch to something different after this season. I am thinking of trying the Burris XTR II 2-10x42.

I bought my dad the HC Speed 6.5 Creedmoor, which he loves and affectionately calls "sexy." It shoots and handles well. He likes the way it looks. The Pro has a better stock and different bolt handle. (There may be some other technical differences)
Is the Pro $800 better, probably not. However, I didn't want the bronze finish (so I got the tungsten version) and I wanted the better stock.

Gonna take this rifle to AK this year and see how it hold up.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider

Just got mine all together a few weeks ago. I'm running the following...

6.5 Creedmoor
Leupold Mark 5 18x - Scope is awesome so far
Harris Bipod
Bradley Cheek Rest
143 Grain Hornady ELDX

Within in an hour first tim at range I was dialed in and hitting steel out to 630-640 with MOA type accuracy. Still early but I'm pretty pleased so far.

Spoonman

WKR
Xbolt pro long range 300 win mag with a leupold vx6hd 3-18x50 w/ fire dot. Shooting 215 Berger hybrids. Leupold is now gone and it’s topped with a Nightforce SHV 5-20x56. 5D1709B7-60A7-473E-AF93-C53574607700.jpeg

Last edited: