What items do you carry multiples of while in the backcountry?

I’ve always felt the saying, “one is none and two is one.”

But when it comes to backcountry hunting, where weight is a premium you can get way too heavy quickly by packing your fears so to speak.

That said what items do you still carry multiples of in case of failure or misplacement?

For me the list is pretty short.

Headlamp. I’ve always got a spare. I thought about ditching my spare this year because it always lives around my neck anyway, but it’s just too critical of an item and too lightweight. I sort of view it any “spare”as being place to hold spare AAA batteries in case my main headlamp dies.

Bic lighter. Super lightweight and so critical it’s inexcusable not to have more than one.

Spare merino liner gloves. They are so lightweight it’s hard not to justify throwing them in. It really sucks to lose a glove when you are several miles from the truck and it’s cold.

Spare socks. This one goes without saying, but I have paired it down to just one spare pair as long as I’m not out for more than 3 days. I can usually dry out wet socks at night and keep them on rotation.

ETA forgot about knives! One fixed blade and one pocket knife. The pocket knife lives on me so I forgot to even mention it as a spare.

Last edited:

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
Chapstick
Toilet paper

I’ve ran out of both… and my buddy is still short a pair of socks

Oh and fire cubes. They’ve been priceless on wet hunts and snowy cold hunts. Always have a lighter and fire cube in my bino harness. Could save my life someday

I always have two of the following:

fire starter (bic, ferro rod, fire cubes etc)
socks - i even carry two pairs on day hunts
head lamp
gloves
2x the TP/wipes I need

LoggerDan

WKR
I try to keep two wind checkers, two pairs of gloves if it’s bad out, two headlamps and two or three bics.

A pair and a spare

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Knives, toilet paper (I carry paper towels, dual function), and as said above, lip balm, spare paracord, just 1 extra pair of underwear (you know, in case...), and others.

7mm-08

WKR
Water filter/treatment. (A Sawyer Squeeze mini and Potable Aqua IN ADDITION to a Sawyer Squeeze - yes, I have run out of water a few times and I have had a Sawyer Squeeze shit the bed on me.)
Fire making items. (In triplicate as well.)
Extra headlamp.
Extra socks.

Marble

WKR
Knives
Lighters
Light wool gloves
Extra headlamp

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

CMF

WKR
Outdoor edge knife/edc pocket knife
fire starter -matches&lighter, sometimes second lighter
occasionally carry spare headlamp, always have some extra batteries
1 extra sock
arrows/broadheads/small game tips
platypus 4L dirty/clean bladder, extra sawyer 16oz dirty bag
windchecker
diaphragm calls

CMF

WKR
Lots of great answers here. One that can really ruin a hunt that often gets overlooked is a spare waist belt buckle for your pack
Which pack have you had fail? I can't imagine that happens often enough to carry a spare in the backcountry, but certainly worth it to have in the truck I suppose. I have an exo and the buckle seems pretty durable, I can't imagine it breaking. Anyone have an exo fail?

robtattoo

WKR
2 knives & fire starting methods, minimum.

I carry a decent, if cheaper, headlamp but I do back that up with 3 or 4 of these. Excessive? Maybe. But they're $2 & literally weigh nothing. Maybe a couple of grams each. I've taken too having one permanently strapped to my bino harness as a chest light.

2 headlamps
2 lighters
2 pair of socks
2 pair of gloves (only if its mid 2 late season)
2 knifes
2 6700mAH Anker for phone & Inreach Charging

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Which pack have you had fail? I can't imagine that happens often enough to carry a spare in the backcountry, but certainly worth it to have in the truck I suppose. I have an exo and the buckle seems pretty durable, I can't imagine it breaking. Anyone have an exo fail?
I had a buddy accidentally step on his and it broke. Watching him suffer because he couldn’t cinch his waist belt down was enough for me to always carry a spare in my pack. His pack wasn’t an Exo, just fyi.

svivian

WKR
I recently just added waist belt buckles for my pack to my list of extras. This year I must have stepped on my buckle and cracked it while processing my bull. 10 minutes into hiking over deadfall with two front quarters my waist belt buckle gave. Miserable rest of the day on the shoulders.

Edit: looks like someone else mentioned this. I tried several ways to cinch it down but never as good as with the buckle that i could then undo later easily.

Last edited:

Netherman

WKR
I had a buddy accidentally step on his and it broke. Watching him suffer because he couldn’t cinch his waist belt down was enough for me to always carry a spare in my pack. His pack wasn’t an Exo, just fyi.
Did he try anything to make it work? Seems like tying the ends together with an easily untied knot (bowline) would get you going. (assuming that brand had a reverse pull tension system).