What items do you carry multiples of while in the backcountry?

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Socks, headlamps, knives, fire source.

Pretty sure I’ve yet to find anything else I couldn’t find a work around on, but those ones will leave you in a bad way if you come up short.

grfox92

WKR
2 water bottles
2 sets of batteries for headlamp
2 lighters
Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
Do headlamps have a high rate of failure or something? An LED Bulb with a simple switch would be one of the last things in my gear that I would suspect to fail.

JohnB

WKR
Do headlamps have a high rate of failure or something? An LED Bulb with a simple switch would be one of the last things in my gear that I would suspect to fail.

Man, I seem to go through a headlamp every 3 or 4 years. They just randomly stop working for me. I keep a Petzl E-Lite in my first aid kit as a spare.

grfox92

WKR
Man, I seem to go through a headlamp every 3 or 4 years. They just randomly stop working for me. I keep a Petzl E-Lite in my first aid kit as a spare.
I guess I don't keep them long enough. I used the energizers for $14 and would wind up with a new one every other year or so because of kids. I got a Black Diamons this year and understand the utility of a better head lamp.

robtattoo

WKR

I've never had but one fail on me, an old Petzl, but I've had a few knocked off my head without realizing it, flopped a couple out of pockets & pouches while grabbing something else etc....

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
My spare is a petzl e-lite, weighs nothing and lives in my emergency kit. I haven’t had a head lamp fail but if I did it would be a real bummer with dead fall, rock fields etc after sundown. Could potentially lead to much bigger adventure than anticipated

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
two headlamps- I was a one headlamp/spare battery guy until I had a headlamp go on the fritz, now it's two

two knives- one fixed blade (custom) and one changeable blade

two pairs of socks, one for sleep (or the last day) worn daily

I carry a full sized Bic in my pocket w/ some tinder attached via ranger bands, one full sized Bic in my fire kit (a very robust fire kit at that)

two pairs of nitrile gloves

MattB

WKR
Lots of great answers here. One that can really ruin a hunt that often gets overlooked is a spare waist belt buckle for your pack
An extra should be stashed in every pack. I had to loan my extra to a buddy who stepped on his and broke it while we were pulling it together to leave camp opening morning.

After this, I always buckle my waist belt after I take it off for a little added protection.

And I highly doubt that tying the webbing in a knot or using flagging tape would be an adequate alternative. Better than nothing, but not better than a buckle (kind of like dentures versus real teeth).

For me, I carry two releases, 2 knives, 2 headlamps, and 2 lighters.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR

I’ve had them just stop working. The modern LED lights are definitely reliable, much more so than the old lamps either the giant batters we had to contend with BITD.

ElkNut1

WKR
Knives, one for hair & ivory removal, one for skinning. Do not need multiple of anything else after 40+ years.

ElkNut