What keeps you from hunting OTC California?

What Keeps you from hunting OTC in California?

• Total voters
I have hunted other western states and you run into folks and see plates from different states . Just curious to those that live in California when you guys hunt an opener or popular season is there a presence of NR's around ? I dont ever hear much complaining of all those dam NR's taking our tags/game compared to say wy/mt/co etc. Really wonder if there are many NR's rolling in for hunting? Who knows you guys might be a "sleeper" state ? Better keep a low profile before alk the dam NR's find out . Lol
There can’t be many NR’s that hunt here. I ran into a guy from Wyoming at a trailhead in a B zone. He said he was going to hunt until he killed a good buck. His camper wasn’t at the trailhead when I got out so I hope he killed a dandy buck.

Aside from duck hunting I rarely see any hunters at all. I dont know the exact number but i would have to say CAs’ overall resident hunter participation is very low compared to other states where there is a larger resident participation.

1970- 765,000 hunting licenses pop 19.9million
2022- 260,000 hunting licenses pop 40 million.
So down quite a bit as a percentage of population

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hunted other western states and you run into folks and see plates from different states . Just curious to those that live in California when you guys hunt an opener or popular season is there a presence of NR's around ? I dont ever hear much complaining of all those dam NR's taking our tags/game compared to say wy/mt/co etc. Really wonder if there are many NR's rolling in for hunting? Who knows you guys might be a "sleeper" state ? Better keep a low profile before alk the dam NR's find out . Lol
I cannot recall seeing an out of state plate ever hunting here in CA.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Wi. Population 5 million. Gun opener has 650,000 hunters in the woods.

Not much RRR going on
Actually CA DFW really started ramping up R3 in 2019 and they're still at it. There is a realization that without the funds provided by hunting and fishing, the funding for our public lands is starting to dry up. I've gotta give them credit for trying

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Here's your stats from recent years

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230630-200640_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230630-200640_Drive.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 52
yep sucks here. Dont bother.
Things I dont do every year in Ca:
1. Kill two pretty decent public land bucks
2. Kill a couple hundred ducks and geese
3. fill my freezer with tuna and yellowtail
4. catch A LOT of steelhead
5. shoot a butt ton of upland birds, especially a bunch of mountain quail
6. catch more wild trout then I could possibly count.

Yep stay away. It sucks
I’d expect a visit from USFWS. Not saying you are, but posting about killing 200 hundred ducks and geese a year leads to the conclusion that you are far in excess of the possession limit.

It's California, not giving that over regulated freak show a dime. Too bad because it is a beautiful state, glad I went years ago as I do not intend to ever go back!

Maybe everyone can stat going there to relieve the pressure on other states?

I’d expect a visit from USFWS. Not saying you are, but posting about killing 200 hundred ducks and geese a year leads to the conclusion that you are far in excess of the possession limit.
How Did you come to that conclusion?
I dont think you know what you're talking about

Six pages in, let me check. Nope still don’t miss it. CDFW is a joke. Used to get two tags for D14 and now because they lowered the quotas on the X zones, it started to sell out. Now it’s a ”premium”draw zone? Success rates are the same. And the deer numbers are the same or less. You can put your boots in the oven but that won’t make them biscuits. Total manipulation. With NO gain except for them.

Special kind of stupid for that lack of math
7 ducks a day, 30 geese.
103 day regular season. Then a late goose season.
Regardless 200 ducks and geese a year is nowhere near over possession limit. Unless he keeps all 200+ birds without eating any of them or giving them away.

Special kind of stupid for that lack of math
7 ducks a day, 30 geese.
103 day regular season. Then a late goose season.
Regardless 200 ducks and geese a year is nowhere near over possession limit. Unless he keeps all 200+ birds without eating any of them or giving them away.

In the regulations it states you are allowed to possess triple the daily limit. It's been a Slippery slope in the past from an enforcement interpretation. Possession in the field? What if your away from home on a week long hunt? or possession in any form ? .... it's a broad brush that would have to be fought in court if you were found in possession to exceed the regulation.

That said... my sons and I killed 200+ last season... here's what's left...20230702_112327.jpg

In the regulations it states you are allowed to possess triple the daily limit. It's been a Slippery slope in the past from an enforcement interpretation. Possession in the field? What if your away from home on a week long hunt? or possession in any form ? .... it's a broad brush that would have to be fought in court if you were found in possession to exceed the regulation.

That said... my sons and I killed 200+ last season... here's what's left...View attachment 571583

Correct triple the daily bag limit. It isn’t a broad brush. There’s letter of the law and spirit of the law.
In this case the letter and spirit would apply to whole birds killed that season. No one’s going to thaw out and count breasts and trim to try and piece together an over possession.
I’m not a warden but enforcement of over bag limit for snack sticks or sausage would be impossible and I’ve never heard of any hastle either unless poachers are caught with other issues.
Regardless the person I quoted that said nfws was going to inspect is asinine as there’s hundreds if not thousands of waterfowlers in CA that would be in violation, that would fall under the common use clause etc

Back