What kind of dog is this?

willtim

WKR
Lonely and abandoned dog. Good for you and I hope your daughter has many years with her new best friend,

Brianmp01

WKR
Looks like my dog blue tick hound mixed with an American bulldog

Attachments

• B0CF60AD-9EBD-46AB-A609-D8E3F2E6EF44.jpeg
    B0CF60AD-9EBD-46AB-A609-D8E3F2E6EF44.jpeg
    863.5 KB · Views: 40

Doghed

WKR
I've had many heelers over the years. Mostly pure but some mixes in there as well. We have three currently. One is a true Blue (no mix), one is a Blue mixed with Aussie Sheppard, and one is a Blue mixed with a Pit. Your dog looks mostly like the Pit mix to me. The coat and eyes are Red Heeler and that blocky skull is Lab (or maybe pit). Not sure about the Catahoula suggestions. The folks we got our Aussie/Heeler mix from were saying the same thing. Probably because he and his mom both had one blue eye. Do you have Catahoulas around those Kansas ranches throwing random liters? He is a mix of whatever is running around your area. I'm betting there are a lot of Labs, Heelers, and Pits.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
Took him to the vet. He had a chip. It was put in by our local humane society. Called them and they say they can't look up who it was that got the dog from them. They said he is a heeler/hound mix 3-4yrs old. We are trying to find him a home with fenced in yard. He is great with daughter. No problem with food bowl or anything. BUT, he won't stay home. And I don't believe in chaining a dog up. I picked him up the other day 1 mile away standing in the middle of the highway. I wish he would just stay around and he would be great.

Took him to the vet. He had a chip. It was put in by our local humane society. Called them and they say they can't look up who it was that got the dog from them. They said he is a heeler/hound mix 3-4yrs old. We are trying to find him a home with fenced in yard. He is great with daughter. No problem with food bowl or anything. BUT, he won't stay home. And I don't believe in chaining a dog up. I picked him up the other day 1 mile away standing in the middle of the highway. I wish he would just stay around and he would be great.
This might be a long shot but perhaps the dog is lost and trying to find his way back to his original home, try your vet with the chip and explain the situation with the dog they may be able to locate the original owners if this is the case, I have found at least with the humane society where I live, they really do not give a shit about the animal once it's out of their hands. Good luck to you and the pooch.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
This might be a long shot but perhaps the dog is lost and trying to find his way back to his original home, try your vet with the chip and explain the situation with the dog they may be able to locate the original owners if this is the case, I have found at least with the humane society where I live, they really do not give a shit about the animal once it's out of their hands. Good luck to you and the pooch.
The vet called the chip company and all they had on file was that the humane society bought the chip. My wife has posted on our local Facebook neighbors helping neighbors and hasn't got any responses yet. I guess we will keep trying him. We let him off the rope tonight to see what he would do. He ran around for a while but didn't go too far. My daughter just went out to check on him and he is in his dog house all snuggled up in bedding. So he maybe coming around. We will put him back on the rope before we leave tomorrow and just keep letting him off in the evenings for a while. Hopefully he figures it out and decides to stay

Last edited:
Good for you guys, it might just take him a bit to be adjusted to his new home, I hope so for you and the pooch, I got a soft spot for those types of dogs, If I was a rich man and owned a large farm, they would all have a home.

TheGDog

WKR
Looks like a Cattle dog (saw another gentleman use what I think is the correct breed name of Catahoula) mixed with something else. Those Cattle dogs have stand-up ears, so this one has that trait expressed from whichever other one it bred with.

TheGDog

WKR
With your daughter around be careful. Don’t trust a stray dog. Keep an eye on him around food, bones, or anything he thinks are “his”.
Definitely listen to this advice. As part of training your Dog when it's a pup, ya do things like give them their bowl of food... and while they're eating it you purposefully do things like pet/mess with their face/muzzle WHILE they're in the middle of eating it... seeing if they'll act aggro so you can then do a strong reprimand to put the fear of God into them from your response.

Also reaching down and randomly moving the bowl away as well, same deal, to see if they react aggro. Again if they do, you gotta respond very harshly with the reprimand.

Doing so can save untold amounts of heartache from somebody whose visiting your house and their toddler goes to do these things out of curiosity, and gets tore up from a dog that never had that trait trained out of them.

And just in general anything where a human does an action, and that action causes the dog to respond aggro... gotta reprimand, and you have to reprimand them immediately during or immediately after it's happened. You can't let much of any time transpire before you reprimand or the dog won't associate the reprimand with the behavior he did which you don't want him to do.