What makes elk move lower??

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a decent 1st season rifle tag this year in southern colorado. This is my first time with a rifle in my hand while hunting elk. I've always done archery. I just got back from scouting and saw a ton of elk above tree line. I expect this during summer and early fall but not sure what to expect during mid October. I assume not much will change but want other opinions. If snow hits early will it push them lower or will the bigger bulls stay up high until it gets really bad? I'm worried because I'm used to finding elk where I left them while scouting. Thanks

Lots of snow will move them down. Sometimes I'm amazed at how much snow it takes sometimes. That said, often the bulls hang much higher and move down when the rut starts for cows. Really only other thing I know is when there's pressure up high on public land and private land down low.

Joe

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
Typically me chasing them those bastards run down hill full speed! Haha.
On a serious note I agree with joe^

I think they move down lower to the "rutting grounds". often Times I've seen elk transition and move lower to rut. But some elk rut up high so it's not all the same.

Some elk live low. Some elk live high. Have a friend who killed a 350" bull at 13,000 feet during 3rd rifle season. Waist deep snow.

Bar

Banned
Elk are driven by food. They go where the food is. The only reason snow moves them down is because the food is covered up. Elk aren't bothered by the cold and snow if they have some food they can get at.

Don't think because the weather seems lousy for you, that it's lousy for elk. They're pretty tough.

Hoot

WKR
Not every area is the same, but I have seen in the past where the bulls come down to rut, and the big bulls will go back up high after the rut and wont come down until there is no available food. Big bulls in waist deep snow above timberline probably is more common than most would imagine...

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It all depends. Shot a bull during 1st rifle last year, in southwest co, in over 2 feet of snow, right at timberline.

shvlhdjim

FNG
Elk spend more energy at lower elevations trying to stay cool than than they do maintaining heat at higher elevations. Read it somewhere (not on the internet) In a book made from paper...If I remember the name of it I'll post it, it was a good read can't grab the name for the life of me right now

Last edited:

Rizzy

WKR
Last season in Idaho I scouted up 4 nice public land bulls and a big group of cows in the top of a basin. This was in later October after the yearly early snowstorm that burns off. About 2 weeks later on the first of November I went in from the top expecting the Bulls to still be up there despite the 8" or so of new snow. They were not and the rest of the herd, including the raghorn I shot had moved down lower to a south slope on the snowline. The exact same place they were in early June. Made sense to me, why trudge through snow trying to get to the grass when a short hike (for an Elk) will get you to bare ground were the eating is easy. I never was able to relocate the biggest Bull while hunting. The basin held about 40-50 cows so there was probably a chance that one of them could have gone into late (nov.) estrus. In hindsight I wish I would have made a play on that. If only I knew then what I know now ;)