What pac Boot? Schnees, kenetrek, or Hoffman?

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
Well I'm in need of a pair of pac boots and need some help deciding. I broke my ankle a couple of years ago so I need something with lots of support is my number one priority. Number two would be the ability to use in steep/rough terrain. And third I would like them to be compatable with snow shoes.
So can those in the know more than I offer up any advice or recomendations?

Best regards,
Richard

PNWGATOR

WKR
Hoffman’s would be my first choice.

You can buy different, but you can’t buy better. If they work for your feet, I’m certain you’d be happy with the quality and function of the product.

I have Schnees. Long story short, they’re not the same quality today they were a couple of decades ago.

2muchhp

WKR
Take a look at the kenetrek Everstep. Expensive but quite a boot when support is needed.

willtim

WKR
I can't compare the three but I really like my Schnees. Quality, fit, and warm are excellent.

Lawnboi

WKR
Have had Schnees and Hoffman. Can’t comment on kenetrek.

I’d buy Hoffman every time over the schnees

PAC boots are not the best in regards to what you’re asking though. Maybe a heavily insulated mountain boot would do you better.

My pacs only come out because it’s cold, and I’m not moving much. Or if it’s real cold.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the quality of Schnees has changed not sure my input is worth a hoot, but mine are some of the original pacs they came out with in the 80's- they've been resoled once and getting close for another. The leather is still minty :)

They are the tallest ones which negates the need for tall gaiters. It's the only pac I've found that I can really hike in- like 15+ miles/day hike.

One tip I learned that should work for any of the pacs listed above; get a tube of seam grip and use it over the area where the leather is stitched to the rubber bottom (the rest of the leather use a good leather waterproofing). I do that every year heading into our late season and have been able to cross small creeks/streams w/o any leaks.

hiker270

WKR
Kenetrek for me only because they fit my feet the best. They are all top quality boots.

PNWGATOR

WKR
If the quality of Schnees has changed not sure my input is worth a hoot, but mine are some of the original pacs they came out with in the 80's- they've been resoled once and getting close for another. The leather is still minty :)

They are the tallest ones which negates the need for tall gaiters. It's the only pac I've found that I can really hike in- like 15+ miles/day hike.

One tip I learned that should work for any of the pacs listed above; get a tube of seam grip and use it over the area where the leather is stitched to the rubber bottom (the rest of the leather use a good leather waterproofing). I do that every year heading into our late season and have been able to cross small creeks/streams w/o any leaks.
I too have a similar generation of Schnees that have been re-bottomed twice. The issue I have is that the new rubber bottom has changed. It’s not the same in quality or comfort. It’s a shame as I have hunted these boots throughout some of the most rugged topography in the lower 48 and used to love them.
IMG_6125.jpeg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's been close to ten -twelve years since I've resoled mine- still have the "old fashion" bob sole bottom on mine, I see they went with almost vibram looking lugs to the outside and kept the bobs in the middle- haven't tried those

Lawnboi

WKR
I can’t speak to the older gen Schnee but the new one not only has a less robust bottom half but the leather wets out much faster than my hoffmans.

Coldtrail

WKR
Been using Schnee's hunter II's for about 20years, on my second pair. I use them following hounds all winter. They work for my feet and I need to be able to change liners often and have two sets of extra liners, the 13" and up are nice for not needing gaiters. Lately on the recent newer pair I can't make it more than a couple seasons without a new bottom from having the flex points crack. I've done all the rubber conditioning, don't use boot dryers, not sitting in the car with the heat blowing on them, not snowmobiling etc and still have the issues. It's a bummer and probably going to send me elsewhere for pacs when I finally replace them. If you are on the road and living out of a tent or vehicle I think pacs are the way to go.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Echo the drop in Schnees quality…my originals I bought in 2000. Soles lasted forever. Had them resoled probably 5 years ago now and they barely lasted one hunt. Came home and ordered Kennetreks; Jim Winjum WAS at Schnees and now runs Kennetrek. These have 5 hard seasons on them and are in great shape.

Never had any Hoffman.

matthewmt

WKR
I will 2nd the insulated mountain boot option. I had Hoffman and whites I actually liked the whites best but the stopped making the pac boot.
If I was to do it again I'd try kenetrek tho.

My feet would freeze no matter if I had pacs on or not. There's always the heavy insulated Mucks too.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
hntnnut

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the replys all, I already run Kenetrek mountain extremes along with a couple of diffrent pairs of Crispis depending on terrain and weather. I'm looking for another arrow for my quiver for when my kenetreks wet out or the terrain doesn't call for a ultra stiff boot, so i'll prob. go with a pair of hoffmans.

Best regards,
Richard

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Just ram into this thread that might be of interest:

Have a pair of Kennetreks that are comfy to hike in. Funny thing is my feet can't stand their regular boots but love their pack boots so go figure. Tiny heel/ankle and very wide forefoot here if that helps.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Been wearing Hoffman’s for about 8 years. Still look new, but I only wear them when it’s really cold. I have put some miles on them in northern PA, and they are comfortable for a pac boot.