What power scope do you prefer for 800-1000 yards?

Please refrain for saying: back in my day I shot a 6x luepold 3128 yards and so that’s all you need.

Currently shoot 15/16x scopes out to 600 but looking to get a scope I can trust to dial and shoot longer distances. Wondering if I need more magnification

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
If it matters, would be second focal plane scopes. I don’t have a desire to go first focal plane due to low power hunting situations

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
3.6-18 leupold mark 5hd. Hands down my fav scope for the money. You really can’t beat them. Unless you want to spend 3k or more. I have 4 mark5’s and they all have tracked and held zero wonderfully, for years.

My preferred magnification is 2x/100 yards. So a 16x for 800. I do not always turn them up that high and it is situation dependent. I happen to like the 4-16 range or so most for hunting, but find that 9x or 10x will and does work in most hunting situations even at distance. Ymmv

It’s going to be application dependent. If you’re looking for a bench rifle for ringing steel out at 600+ during daylight hours, you likely can get and will benefit from more magnification. Make sure to match quality with magnification. Cheap 20+ mag isn’t going to do much. For hunting, if you are competent out past 600, which few hunters could claim to be, remember that the perfect situation (rest, eye relief, eye alignment, daylight) will be harder to achieve. Higher magnification is going to amplify slight changes to your shooting form or imperfect situation (which, again 600+ you’re probably in close to perfect situation anyways), so modest magnification with high quality glass will buy you some extra grace.

If you’re hunting at 600+, you’re likely less interested in close-range encounters and will find that the first vs. second plane debate is dependent more on your style of hunting and location/opportunities. You will likely be better served to try and set up a rifle for either long-range hunting, or close range and not try to have a do it all. You’ll end up compromising on both ends and be somewhere in no man’s land, with a rifle sub-par for both.

What rifle are you setting up, out of curiosity?

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing what you decide!

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the application.

If I have time and the target is stationary with good lighting, I’m cranking that bitch up to 25.

If there’s a any chance the target moves or I need to spot my impacts, 18.

If I need to find my target with the scope and I expect multiple targets at different engagement distances….12-15x

SDHNTR

WKR
15-18x, but I think you are missing out on objecting to FFP. The issue you stated is easily solved by just turning the light on.

Agreed with SDHNTR, just get a FFP with illumination if that's a concern. It'll open up your options a fair bit too.

PNWGATOR

WKR
For what your wanting a reliable/drop tested scope with a functional reticle in the 9x range. Couldn’t imagine much more magnification than that for a hunting application at those distances with a functional reticle and useable bullet.

In practical situations I can't imagine needing more than 18x power. The only time I go above that is to shoot groups at 100 yards or help spot for my shooting buddy.

Weldor

WKR
Meopta 4x20x50 works for paper and steel. Glass seems pretty good for the money.

Flyjunky

WKR
I think it depends on what your goals are. I use the Nx8 4-32 and if you’re just trying to hit plates any decent amount of mag will do. If you’re at all interested in shooting groups the higher mag is very nice to have. At 1000 or more having 24x+ is nice to have.

Sadler

WKR
I really like my NX8s. They live between 12x and 16x but that extra magnification is great for checking targets at the range.

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’ve been running an NX8 4-32 (mostly because it was lighter than my atacrs) and I honestly only used 32x on my most recent hunt to count tines on the bull I was looking at so I didn’t have to pull out my spotting scope. But the eye box is super tight, it’s darker, and I can say with relative certainty I’ve never shot at anything over 14 power. I am personally moving away from that type of scope because I don’t like the trade offs of an 8 power scope and the reticle at 4 is near useless.

I picked up two bushnell lrhs and lrts 4.5-18 for a great price and will give them a shot - and I doubt I’ll even use over 12-14 unless I’m zeroing. But all that to say - more magnification doesn’t make it more reliable or better to shoot at distance.

Last edited: