What predator call to buy?

IDShane

WKR
I am guessing this has been covered a million times but I could not find what I was looking for. I want to get into some predator hunting here in Idaho something that would work good for wolf and coyotes. I am not overly concerned with cost although I do not need to buy the biggest or best just a good option.

Duh

WKR
I like my fox pro X2S for packability alone. The battery pack has served me well in cold weather and longevity. It’s on the more spendy side for sure. Loading new sounds has been easy and there’s a ton of different call makers that have compatible sounds for fox pros. My buddy has a luck duck revolt and it has some great coyote sounds on it already. There’s a new fox pro coming out soon too.

Here’s the X2S in single digit temps the other day.

Attachments

• IMG_6947.jpeg
    IMG_6947.jpeg
    680.7 KB · Views: 64

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I have an x2s as well and love it. If I was doing it again I would buy the x24. I don't really end up using the extra features on the x2s.

Not sure about this year's offerings though.

Since wolf is on the list I could see covering miles on foot and wanting the sound to carry. So packability and good volume.

Instantly I think Fox Pro X24 or Lucky Duck Roughneck.

The X24 is FP’s loudest single speaker caller.

The Roughneck has the same speaker as the Revolt and Super Revolt. It’s a little more robust than the Revolt and smaller than the Super Revolt.

If hunters in your area lean towards a certain brand I would get the opposite. There are killers out there that use both brands. Probably more who’s using it than which call they are using.

James Bosstock has custom sounds. Fairly inexpensive compared to most out there. He is in Idaho and has a wolf sound pack. Might be worth looking into.

TheGDog

WKR
Been SUPER Happy with my X24!

And also somebody here "on the 'Slide" directed me to BOSS Predator sounds for some aftermarket calls to add as well.

Mark5868

FNG
Everyone and there brother has and is calling with a Foxpro.

Do you really wanna go and try to call in critters with the same sounds everyone else is using?

Everyone and there brother has and is calling with a Foxpro.

Do you really wanna go and try to call in critters with the same sounds everyone else is using?
Everyone I know by me uses a Lucky Duck. Lucky pecker, school yard brawl, Sig kicking a….etc.

And honestly it’s more the guy pushing the buttons than what buttons he is pushing. Give the best any brand and they will still be the best.

TFrank

WKR
I thought about upgrading. I have a fox pro inferno. Decided not to, but I was seriously looking at the X24

ICOtec Outlaw would be my choice. Remote is the best IMO (no line up sight up to 300yd remote range) fairly large buttons that are easily used wearing large gloves

I don't mind lucky duck but i don't care for the remotes

FoxPro- get a model that utilizes the TX1000 remote

But if you end up getting a foxpro I'd recommend buying through all predator because then you can pick the pre-loaded sounds your call comes with, so you don't end up with a bunch of garbage sounds you'll never use.

ICOtec Outlaw would be my choice. Remote is the best IMO (no line up sight up to 300yd remote range) fairly large buttons that are easily used wearing large gloves

But if you end up getting a foxpro I'd recommend buying through all predator because then you can pick the pre-loaded sounds your call comes with, so you don't end up with a bunch of garbage sounds you'll never use.
I’ve been on two stands with an Outlaw. There was a mixture of Ico and TT sounds. It sounded really bad. Idk if it was a bad unit, low battery, etc. After the second stand I wouldn’t allow him to call anymore ha. I would guess that was probably a 1 off.

I wish Ico, FP, and LD would make a baby.

TheGDog

WKR

^^^^THIS.... yeah get it thru AllPredatorCalls.com They let ya pick and choose the sounds. So ya don't get a buncha crap that'd be of no use to you where you happen to live.

mcseal2

WKR
My buddy I hunt with got a Lucky Duck because I had a Foxpro. Between us we figured we had more variety. I much prefer the TX 1000 remote on the Foxpro, but the sounds on the Lucky Duck are great too. I've added a lot of sounds to my Foxpro over the years to improve our variety. I'm in Kansas where Lucky Duck is from, so they are very popular here.

I'd second the guys saying to get one from AllPredatorCalls.com that's customized. I'd also recommend getting a lighter call so it's easier to pack. I'm still using an older Prairie Blaster 2 and after a long day going to multiple stands packing the bigger call, and trying to get it quickly and quietly out of a pack gets old. My next one will be smaller and lighter.

Last I had an Eberlestock Team Elk pack I used for a couple years before getting my first Exo. It has become my predator hunting pack. Having hands free and the rifle in the scabbard has been nice for predator hunting. I also like not having a sling on the rifle to interfer with swinging on a running coyote, and being one more thing that moves when I re-position the gun. How you carry your gear can make a big difference on a long day.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

I’ve been on two stands with an Outlaw. There was a mixture of Ico and TT sounds. It sounded really bad. Idk if it was a bad unit, low battery, etc. After the second stand I wouldn’t allow him to call anymore ha. I would guess that was probably a 1 off.

I wish Ico, FP, and LD would make a baby.
Crazy. I'd have to think something was wrong with his unit or the 2 outlaws I have hunted over were the only good ones ever produced because a lot of fur has fallen from because of them.

TFrank

WKR

Thanks for sharing

wytx

WKR
The newest craze is the Freq from Burnham Brothers. It has an ultrasonic speaker.
I'm wondering if one could find a stand alone ultrasonic speaker and make you own "freq" of sorts with a Foxpro?

pirogue

WKR
The newest craze is the Freq from Burnham Brothers. It has an ultrasonic speaker.
I'm wondering if one could find a stand alone ultrasonic speaker and make you own "freq" of sorts with a Foxpro?
I haven’t heard that name in a long time. Called in a fox the first time out, back in the 60’s. I remember buying the Burnham Bros close range call, the long range call, and the record(45rpm instructional), for $5. I told my grandkid that, and he asks, “what’s a record?”. I still got the calls.

TheGDog

WKR
Brother... seriously, just bite the bullet and get a FoxPro X24 man.

-=-=-

I first had an entry-level ICOTec GC300, I did get a Bobcat to come in to it once. But that was about it. Crappy lo-fi audio. But entry-level, so oh well.

-=-=-

Then bought a Johnny Stewart GrimSpeaker 2. This unit Could have had much potential and been a great cheaper option for the masses... those that didn't need to buck a lot of wind or long-distances... but the remotes responsiveness to button presses was frustrating at times. And some formats and bitrates of MP3's it didn't like trying to playback, I'd noticed when trying to playback some recordings I'd made of vintage Johnny Stewart Vinyl 45 RPM records, that I was gifted by someone.

Then the power-on slide switch failed.

And THAT was after they sent me back one after it had previously had some kind of internal screw get loose and fall out, and rattle around, inside the unit, which is press-fit together and once the two halves are clicked-in, you wouldn't be able to open it back up without destroying their unit.

-=-=-

So then I decided to bite-the-bullet and get the X24. EXTREMELY happy with my decision!

First of all.. it's rechargeable... it's got a nice big ol' honking lithium battery back that feels pretty substantial. Gets expensive real quick when you're unit isn't rechargeables.

The remote is nice and easy to understand and move around in. Stupid easy to use. And it's standard sized batteries last a good long time, multiple outings, etc.

But Man... lemme tell ya... the sound fidelity of the unit is beautiful! Made me soo excited when I got it!

If the recording you're using is high quality?... it straight-up sounds like real-life. No BS. None of this sounding like it's being played out of a tin-can BS.

To give you an idea... one of the times I was out at my spot... I was playing Baby Jack, and Son of a B if it didn't call in a fullgrown Adult JackRabbit to the stand! Not only that.. I popped him with my shotgun and then later on, after I decided to end the set... when we went to collect the JackRabbit... (left him there until the set was done to not risk spooking a possible incoming yote) we followed his blood trail a lil bit around a couple bushes nearby, and eventually found the tracks from where a yote had come in to the calling, then obviously spotted this guy bleeding and near-dead and snatched him up!

Brother night-and-day difference in the success rate since getting the X24! Also, after seeing an incoming Yote bolt after seeing my MOJO Critter 2 setup and running, I've since left that at home and my success rate, at this one particular spot I've been going to have been 100%. Every time I go there and make a set or two... I take a yote. In fact.. I don't think in that location I've ever made more than two sets!

TFrank

WKR
That son of a gun is 2 grand. It looks heavy. Some people said it doesn’t get up very high in volume.

Take that last comment with a grain of salt though, I Have not see it myself.