What should I save for first?

RSC12

FNG
Ok so heres a loaded question and I'm not really looking for actual answers just ppls "wish list" opinions. I'm trying to decide what I should be saving for next and in what order I should prioritize some equipment. I've been hunting for the last 10yrs with a little success (still a lot of learning to do). My time was very limited due to life circumstances with kids, money etc. I'm finally at the stage where I can start to save for some upgrade purchases and some "want" items but I still can't afford to just buy everything at once.

I currently shoot an old "hand-me-down" Parker Hale 7mm rem mag. It shoots decent (right around 1MOA) but is on the heavy side 10.3lbs for rifle and scope. 11.5lbs with bipod and stock pack used to bring up cheek weld. It also has a cheap Bushnell scope 4.5-14 that I really want to replace.

Im also looking to upgrade my vortex diamondback 10x42 binoculars and bushnell rangefinder (works poorly past 250yrds) to the Vortex Fury rangefinding binoculars.

And finally I was also looking into purchasing a Marlin Trapper 45-70. I'm hoping to use this rifle as a camp/truck/defense gun when hunting/hiking in grizzly country. I'd also use this gun as a thick bush hunting weapon for elk/deer/bear in some of the areas I hunt in.

So the items I'm looking at are:

- New rifle that is lighter for backpack hunts - tikka or Browing X-bolt in either the same caliber capable for everything or a smaller one (6.5CM or 7mm-08 that my kids could shoot when they grow up).
- Upgraded scope - looking at Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2
- Vortex Fury 10x42
- Marlin 45-70

Each item costs approx the same and I can afford to buy 1 per year so in what order should I plan for. So like I said super open ended question with lots of opinions, so please feel free to critique.

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
If it were me, and these were my only four options, I would upgrade in this order:

- Vortex Fury

- New scope

- New Rifle

- 45-70

My thinking is that optics are really nice, especially if you have a gun that shoots well now. Then the scope would be great and you can use that on the current gun until you get a new one. The 45-70 seems like a luxury item that would not be utilized as regularly as the others - so for me that would go at the end of the list. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

ODB

WKR
Nothing wrong with that Parker Hale - ditch the bipod and just get yourself a decent used scope for it - VX-3 or so.

Get a used Vortex rangefinder

Diamond backs are better than any binos our hunting 'heroes' of the past could have imagined.

Let someone else pay full price. And hunting success has almost nothing to do with gear. Until a piece of gear actually fails, it's as good as any 10x the price.

I would upgrade to some Maven binos.

And invest in yourself. Not sure what the main quarry your after but something along the lines of chris row, elk 101, elk collective. Whatever books out out there that apply.

The rifle you have may be heavy but sounds like its working fine.
Id save 2 years and buy a new complete rifle and scope that way you have 2 complete setups for backup.

Marlin is down so you most likely won't be able to find a trapper for a couple years anyway so forget that one lol.

Wvroach

WKR
Marlin is down so you most likely won't be able to find a trapper for a couple years anyway so forget that one lol.
I agree with the above as a newer western hunter myself. I'm very curious about how ruger will take on the marlin name, rugers have always been made like tanks and I feel it will be a huge improvement over the remlins of the past 15 years.

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Awesome guys I appreciate the advice for sure. And ya I was kinda leaning towards that order already myself. All of the items are definitely not "necessary" but it will be nice to actually have some upgrades ;) I've been slowly upgrading some other items (pack, sleep system, etc) as well. I've learned the value of quality gear but also realize that time spent out in the field is worth way more than anything I could buy.

The Parker Hale is an awesome rifle and has a lot of sentimental value so I definitely like taking it. I guess I sometimes just get caught up in wanting something lighter to pack around. Plus as I only have the one rifle and 2 small girls who I hope one day would like to try hunting with me I'm trying to decide on a lighter weight caliber that would be something I could use for deer (maybe elk) that they would be able to grow into as well.

Anyways thanks again. I love being able to gain advice from ppl who have way more experience in this field then me.

Brendan

WKR
#1 - Binos / Rangefinder. Rangefinder is the only item you have that doesn't work in certain scenarios, and might cost you a shot.

#2 - Upgraded Scope. You can put it on your existing rifle. Optics more important than the rifle.

#3 - Tikka T3X Lite Stainless, 6.5 CM or 308. I'd go with a 30 cal if you want to be able to use it on Elk and potentially Moose.

#11 - Marlin. Purely a "want" item. No real need for it. A 12GA might be more versatile if you're looking for something with more uses. (Defense, short range big game, waterfowl, turkeys, upland)

Last edited:
OP
R

RSC12

FNG
As far as game goes, Its been mostly deer and bear. I live in BC so lots of opportunities my way. Time has usually been my limiting factor but as the kids age it seems to be getting a little easier.

My buddies and I have started on the Elk train and have a couple trips under our belts (close but no success yet). I'd also like to try for Moose as well but the draw odds seem to be getting harder and harder.

I just love getting out and walking around exploring the mountains so no complaints as is. Just trying to have some fun. Hunting has quickly become my main hobby (well thinking and planning about it anyway)

22lr

WKR
Same for as a few above mentioned.

Fury: binos and covering rangefinding

Scope: use on your PH first, then you won't be trying to make a old cheap scope work on a new rifle.

Rifle: Ready to take advantage with a new scope a good rangefinder. There is nothing wrong with a 1MOA PH, but I totally understand the weight. That is heavy for a hunting gun.

Extra Rifle.

However, a dedicated range finder and a new pair of Vipers (about the quality of glass the Fury uses) could be cheaper for you depending on the deal you get. Some of the blackfriday deals this year had Vipers at $300, and at that price, you could then get a super nice rangefinder in the 3-4 range. Not as handy as a RF bino, but could get you on the way to a scope faster.

22lr

WKR
Forgot to mention. On the rifle, do a cost benefit analysis once you have a scope on it. It will cost you 7-900 to drop weight there by 3 pounds. You may be able to shave more weight for the same price by looking at the rest of your gear. But, just something to think about when you get there.

Had a 45-70 Govt lever gun and hated it. Sold it. It is not what you expect...a light gun that hurts you is not really ideal for a charging bear.

camera 029.jpg

Now I have an ultraliite .308 AR10 for that. It can toss a lot of lead faster and more accurately.

ar10-2.jpgar10-3.jpg

When I was asking myself the same questions, I decided to determine what I wanted and then find it used at a significant discount. My list included shelters, guns, bows, packs, quilts, Swaro glass and well...the list goes on & on. By staying flexible and always keeping $ in a Paypal acct I was able to get everything I wished for at about half the cost of retail. But I did conduct searches frequently. My advice? Put your list together and watch the classifieds, do Google searches with FS WTS and item sought 2-3 times a week. Your money will go further if ya don't prioritize too much. JMO...I could be wrong.

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Ya the 45-70 just seemed like a good gun to have around camp and to leave in the truck for the most part. I figure it would be something to pack back in if there was multiple loads to do. I also thought that it would be useful for thick bush where my 7mm isn't really optimal for thick/close range.

I'm definitely the "bear aware" guy of the group. It never enough to keep me out of the woods but I like to be prepared. I've thought about a short barrelled 870 as well but thought the 45-70 would be more practical as I could actually hunt with it as well. Currently I have nothing other than bear spray and the 7mm for in camp/hiking etc

Rob5589

WKR
Sounds like the only item that is "broken" is your range finder, so that would be #1. I'd look at the Sig Kilo rf and the Meopta Meopro or Meostar bino depending on what you have to spend. Maybe those Furys are awesome, never have used them, but I'd trust the Sig/Meopta combo more.
Next scope, then rifle.