What sitka gear?

I am looking for pants and a jacket for backpack hunting Elk/Deer in September 8-11,000 ft. Sitka has so many options...What is the right pant/jacket combo. Non rainwear

Sitka Mountain Pants?

Also, is Sitka a good direction to go for backpack hunting?

Last edited:

LJ Buck

WKR
I like the Timberline Pants.

I have a few pairs and have a sale of the dark grey ones for sale.

Stwrt9

WKR
Just picked up a pair of timberlines on camofire today hopefully there as good as everyone says

Kotaman

WKR
My favorite Sitka Pants are the Mountain Pants, followed by Timberlines. As far as a jacket goes, look at the new Timberline Jacket or the Jetstream. Jetstream is a little warmer and is my favorite softshell jacket.

Sitka is a great brand for mountain backpack hunts. Their line covers virtually every weather condition possible from hot to freezing and snow. Their website has some "layer building" information that can be quite helpful in the process of deciding what is right for you.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
I only have experience with the mountain pants. Good quality, fabric feels stretchy and articulates well, and it has many useful pockets. Built in belt in nice but the suspenders I found to be heavy and ended up not using them.

For my AK hunts this year I'm cashing in on some Stormfront pants. IMO the best pant for that "Wet"application.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My favorite Sitka Pants are the Mountain Pants, followed by Timberlines. As far as a jacket goes, look at the new Timberline Jacket or the Jetstream. Jetstream is a little warmer and is my favorite softshell jacket.

Sitka is a great brand for mountain backpack hunts. Their line covers virtually every weather condition possible from hot to freezing and snow. Their website has some "layer building" information that can be quite helpful in the process of deciding what is right for you.
^^^

Both of those pants are top notch in my book. Integrated knee pads take a little getting use to, but I can't imagine not having them now.

As for the Timberline jacket. I've been testing a demo version for a few months now. I'll do a write up later this spring. In short, its pretty dang light and extremely wind resistant. I plan to test the DWR a bit before commenting on that. It was pretty loud when I first got it. Has quieted down a bit with use and a wash or two. I've worn it in 10-20 degree weather. Its ability to shed wind and keep me warm was surprising. I've pretty much ran it in cold weather so can't comment on breathability much yet.

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
why did you switch to KUIU? Is the pricing about the same?

Few reasons.. My Sitka gear was about 3 years old, so don't know if they changed anything, but the seams on the Jetstream jacket let wind and water through, and while I know the softshell isn't designed for rain, most the time it would still have water beading up on it, and on my shirt you could see where every seam was because it lets the water right through. On the Guide DCS jacket, the seams don't seem to let the wind or water in. I haven't had it in a full on all day down pour, but had it in snow and light rain and stayed dry. Feature wise I would call it a toss up (pit zips and pocket wise). On the pants, the Timberline is a fantastic pant, love the waterproof knees and seat as well as knee pads, one thing that drew me to the Attack was the zippers on the sides. Our archery season is down right hot, and on occasion gets up in to 90's, Timberline I get way hot in, and in the Attack I can open up the vents, and while I'm warm, my legs don't feel like they are baking like in the attack pant. I know they make thinner pants, but generally have 1 pair of pants. In terms of cold weather performance, I would call it a wash, had both down into the high teens and 20's and with a good base layer underneath didn't prefer one pant over the other.

On my Sitka gear Core lightweight long sleeve T, the glue gave up and the pocked half came off which kind of peaved me a bit as well. Kuiu gear is generally lighter, and the rain gear IMO is more affordable (I don't spend a ton of time in the rain so was looking for lightweight packable gear for the occasional cloudburst) and Sitka doesn't offer anything in the cheaper ultralight category.

Pricing for Kuiu is cheaper.. Granted Im grabbing MSRP from Sitka, which you can find cheaper, but still more expensive than Kuiu (if you are patient you can get Kuiu when they have sales 15% off)... Pricing examples...

Kuiu Attack Pant $129.99 (18.5 oz)
Sitka Timberline Pant $229.00 (32.98 oz)

Kiui Guide DCS Jacket $189.99 (24 oz)
Sitka Jetstream Jacket $329 (25.43 oz)

Luckily for me Kuiu us also about a hour drive so I got to cruise down to the showroom, and check out the gear. Staff was super friendly and knowledgeable, was able to tell them about the type of hunting I do and they recommended gear for me which was nice. A person came in with one of their backpacks and said he was having issues setting it up with his rifle, staff got him all squared away so he could detach his rifle without taking his bag off. I haven't had the backorder issues with them, but I know that is one knock, as well as being mail order only unless you live close to them....

Last edited:
I have mtn and timber pants for sale. 38" waist. 180 for timber and 150 for mtn. Both have only been worn twice and washed once (in the scent free soap)

For most hunting I like the Ascent pants the best. I feel the Mountain pants are too warm for Sep. hunting. I just tried the Kuiu Attack pants and didn't like them as well as Sitka. My .02

Pontius

FNG
I've been pretty happy with the Sitka Mountain Pant. The tall works well for me at 6'1", but don't get the tall unless you need it, otherwise the (soft n flexy) kneepads might not rise to cover your kneecaps. Stretchy as all heck. I've been comfortable up to 80F degrees, and down to single digits in calm winds by adding poly long underwear. Not my first choice for a snowy hunt, but with an under layer I'll survive. It's nice to wear a well engineered piece of equipment.

Kotaman

WKR
Few reasons.. My Sitka gear was about 3 years old, so don't know if they changed anything, but the seams on the Jetstream jacket let wind and water through, and while I know the softshell isn't designed for rain, most the time it would still have water beading up on it, and on my shirt you could see where every seam was because it lets the water right through. On the Guide DCS jacket, the seams don't seem to let the wind or water in. I haven't had it in a full on all day down pour, but had it in snow and light rain and stayed dry. Feature wise I would call it a toss up (pit zips and pocket wise). On the pants, the Timberline is a fantastic pant, love the waterproof knees and seat as well as knee pads, one thing that drew me to the Attack was the zippers on the sides. Our archery season is down right hot, and on occasion gets up in to 90's, Timberline I get way hot in, and in the Attack I can open up the vents, and while I'm warm, my legs don't feel like they are baking like in the attack pant. I know they make thinner pants, but generally have 1 pair of pants. In terms of cold weather performance, I would call it a wash, had both down into the high teens and 20's and with a good base layer underneath didn't prefer one pant over the other.

On my Sitka gear Core lightweight long sleeve T, the glue gave up and the pocked half came off which kind of peaved me a bit as well. Kuiu gear is generally lighter, and the rain gear IMO is more affordable (I don't spend a ton of time in the rain so was looking for lightweight packable gear for the occasional cloudburst) and Sitka doesn't offer anything in the cheaper ultralight category.

Pricing for Kuiu is cheaper.. Granted Im grabbing MSRP from Sitka, which you can find cheaper, but still more expensive than Kuiu (if you are patient you can get Kuiu when they have sales 15% off)... Pricing examples...

Kuiu Attack Pant $129.99 (18.5 oz)
Sitka Timberline Pant $229.00 (32.98 oz)

Kiui Guide DCS Jacket $189.99 (24 oz)
Sitka Jetstream Jacket $329 (25.43 oz)

Luckily for me Kuiu us also about a hour drive so I got to cruise down to the showroom, and check out the gear. Staff was super friendly and knowledgeable, was able to tell them about the type of hunting I do and they recommended gear for me which was nice. A person came in with one of their backpacks and said he was having issues setting it up with his rifle, staff got him all squared away so he could detach his rifle without taking his bag off. I haven't had the backorder issues with them, but I know that is one knock, as well as being mail order only unless you live close to them....

Comparing the Attacks to the Timberlines is apples to oranges. If you are going to compare a comparable Sitka product to the Attacks, it would be the Ascent. (17.6 oz and $149)

Also, the Jetstream jacket has windstopper, the Guide does not, so again not a perfect comparison but close I suppose. To me there is no comparison between the Guide Jacket and Jetstream. I would take the Jetstream all day long for a $140 more, but that is just my opinion.

Can't go wrong with Sitka or KUIU, but there are differences.

Cindy

FNG
I don't know what area of the world you are looking into, but in my neck of the woods, 11,000 feet means potential snow in September.
I had snow at 9,600 feet in august this year.

If you have no risk of cold weather, your selections would be much different.

If you were in my area, I would say you need options. Insulation layers, right through base layers.
There is not much that sucks as bad as being backpacked into the wilderness without the gear you need to be comfortable.

Depending on what temp ranges and weather types you experience, that would determine the choices.

There are many brands out there, with some great options.
I have enjoyed all the sitka products that I own. But I would not buy "only sitka". Buy gear that suits your needs, regardless of brand.

You will probably end up with items from lots of brands.

ridgefire

WKR
I have the 90%, mountain and ascent pants. Any weather that is 60 or over i am wearing my ascent pants. 40-60 i am wearing my mountain pants. Anything under 40 is my 90% pants. Sept elk i will have the ascent and mountain pants. I never carry a jacket in Sept besides my rain jacket, Labrador sweater and vest works best for me.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The new Timberline and Mountain jackets from Sitka have taped seams, so that will eliminate the leaking through the seams aspect. Also, the seams around the waterproof portions of the new Timberlines are taped as well. I've seen the new jackets and the Timberline will be in my pack come this fall. It slots in perfectly, right between where the the Jetstream Lite and Jetstream are now. Not sure if the 16 version of the Jetstream has taped seams as well, I woukd guess it will, but don't want to give bad info.