what size bag?

Scotty82b

FNG
So going on a guided caribou hunt in about 2 years. I’m new to hunting with packs. still looking at all the makers trying to decide. my dilemma is right now this will be my only pack for foreseeable future. I know i don’t need as much room on a guided as i would unguided. but if i wanted one that will do both what size should i be looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good hunting packs will cinch up readily when you need less volume (ie on a day hunt); so if you're going to err, best to err a little on the larger size. Hard to add volume to a bag when you need it :D

Also many pack frames will allow using multiple bags, from small to large- Stone Glacier for one.

Jbxl20

WKR
IMO Bigger bag the better. Just make sure the frame properly fits. I have an EXO k3 6400. I definitely don’t “need” the 6400 for 5 day trips but the extra room is a nice option.

hunts will probably range from 5-10 days with occasional shorter weekend hunts

I would be looking at 7000 ci and up bags for a 10 day hunt. Yes you can get away with smaller, but it is nice to have some extra volume for colder hunts

OP
S

Scotty82b

FNG
Good hunting packs will cinch up readily when you need less volume (ie on a day hunt); so if you're going to err, best to err a little on the larger size. Hard to add volume to a bag when you need it :D

Also many pack frames will allow using multiple bags, from small to large- Stone Glacier for one.

i’m also looking at that. but would want the big bag first. and if financially down the road i can get smaller bag i will.

Gone4Days

WKR
Depends on the rest of your gear. Do you own ultralight, very packable gear? if not get as big as you can go in the pack you end up choosing.

Jbxl20

WKR
I debated back and forth on getting a smaller bag than the 6400. I realized I didn’t need a smaller bag for that frame and Instead I ended buying a kuiu venture 2300 daypack.

Find out exactly what the outfitter provides and will already have setup. Then go from there.

Pack bags are not that expensive. Do a side hustle and get a big day for long hunts and a smaller bag for regular hunts.