what socks?

I like the SmartWool for this reason. I have a very narrow foot and the SmartWools have more elasticity than the darn tuffs which make them stay tighter on my feet. I hate baggy socks. I really wanted to try the darn tuffs but just couldn't get them to fit tight on my foot like the SmartWools do. I wear my Smartwools year round for every activity and they serve me well.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using Covert Threads for the past few years and been very happy with them both at work and when outdoors. Got some for free and liked them so I bought some. Guess I am going to have to check out these Costco socks though.

B

bearguide

i have been using cabelas outfitter socks b/c they dry out faster, but i want to try the costco

I will hop on the costco kirklands wool socks bandwagon. I am basically buying them every time I see a good deal and they are slowly replacing the cotton in my every day use drawer. For my backcountry trips I use browning 85% merino socks.
Here they are on amazon but I get them at a local outdoors store for about $8/pair. They have proven to be pretty durable for my uses though there are certainly lots of folks here who spend a lot more time in boots than I do so YMMV.
http://www.amazon.com/Browning-Hosi...8&sr=1-18&keywords=browning+merino+wool+socks

I would like to try the darn tough socks but honestly the brownings work great and I have a tote in the gear locker packed full of them from various %30 off sales etc.

2rocky

WKR
Injinji tetra socks. liner weight

Yep TOESOCKS.

Better get up early cause they ain't quick to put on, but they prevent blisters between toes and pull the sweat away from the crevices to prevent massive athletes foot issues.

Merino wool Ultimax from Wigwam over them. I will check out the Costco MW's but I haven't worn these out yet.

a3dhunter

WKR
Everytime I try to use a smart wool type of sock I end up with blisters.
I use a polypro liner sock and then typically use Bass Pro Shop Redhead merino wool lifetime socks, they are thick enough to keep blisters from becoming a problem and provide great cushion, only problem is they are hot.

JG358

WKR
I've had good luck with the thin smartwool ski socks, rei coolmax socks and darn tough.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a ultralight backpacker like a lot of you guys so I am still using good old Filson wool socks. I wear the Costco wool socks at work about 9 months of the year.

swat8888

WKR
Sierra Trading Post had a good deal on Bridgedales the other day, and they are running a 40% sale today. I picked a pair of trekker's up for like $9 a few days ago. Plus first time customers get $10 their first order...just has to be over $30.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Not sure which brand they were but I wore a single pair of merino wool socks 10 days last time off. They were soaking wet everyday and no problems with my feet. Granted once they finally did dry out they were a bit stiff. :D

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure which brand they were but I wore a single pair of merino wool socks 10 days last time off. They were soaking wet everyday and no problems with my feet. Granted once they finally did dry out they were a bit stiff. :D

One pair of socks, in and out of creeks for 10 days in trail runners....Probably explains the large quantity of sand I found in the dryer after I did the laundry....

Beastmode

WKR
Yes that would probably explain it Becca. My wife finds the same things. I use smartwool or the rei merino wool light hikers. Need to try the Costco socks though.

7mag.

WKR
I haven't been to Costco in a while, so I went yesterday, specifically to get some socks. All they had was cotton athletic socks, and dress socks. Hopefully they will have some soon.

Yeti

FNG
Smartwools were my number one choice until I tried the Darn Tough socks, by far the most cofortable socks that I have hiked in.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
ordered 2 pair of darn toughs today with the cushioned heel and toe, the 1403 model i believe it is.

nick - lucky sob, i was never issued any darn toughs! mine were like a wool sock with some wierd almost like a blanket liner on the inside and you could barely get your foot in them because nothing lined up, and when you did they still sucked

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I was issued 6 pairs of socks for the deployment I am on.. after wearing them a few times I thought to myself "These are the best socks I have ever worn!"... I look at the label and what do you know... Darn Tough.. I love them and I in them every single day...

See you did get some cool guy stuff for this deployment!

mtmiller

WKR
You guys talked me into the Darn Toughs. Spent the weekend packing in my Smart Wools, but passing through Bozeman I picked up a pair of the DT in the 1403 to try on the my Beartooth hike in a couple weeks. Thanks for the input.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
got 2 pair of the darn tough 1403's in the mail today finally, feel great....the seem maybe a tad on the thick side for august hunts?? I think they will be ok though, better than too thin as I would get blisters then