Cold Hunting Socks Recommendations

With a big cold front coming in this weekend, I need to prepare appropriately for hunting in the cold - below freezing.

The biggest issue I have is that I’m hunting on land I have to walk quite a bit, and I tend to sweat a lot.

I think I have my upper body situation figured out, but I’m curious about what people recommend for socks? Those toes getting cold can obviously cause a big issue, so any help is appreciated. It really ruined a couple hunts for me last year.

OP
I
take a second pair to change into

while I get this… man idk. I hunt public land and have a long walk and then have to go up with a climbing tree stand. The climbing tree stand makes me sweat more than anything, and idk if I’m limber enough to change my socks once I get up there 😂

WyoKid

WKR
100% Alpaca socks or Merino and Alpaca mix seems to work better for me than just Merino. Add Artic Booties for sitting in a stand.

Last edited:
OP
I
100% Alpaca socks or Merino and Alpaca mix seems to work better for me than just Merino. Add Artic Booties foe sitting in a stand.
Do you put the booties on once you get to the stand? Or how does that work?

My favorite is the Kenetrek wool socks and sock liners. I'll second the Arctic Shield boot covers. Hike into your stand, then once in the stand put them over your boots. If you still have cold feet you can add hand warmers inside your boot covers but I've never had to.

Poser

WKR
I use smartwool mountaineering socks, tie my boots a bit looser to compensate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyoKid

WKR
Yes. My feet stay pretty warm on the walk-in. Once I get to the stand, I put the booties on over my boots and take them off when I leave. They are too noisy and cumbersome to walk in. They also double as camp slippers when I make a midnight run.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027-111122.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027-111122.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 32
OP
I
Yes. My feet stay pretty warm on the walk-in. Once I get to the stand, I put the booties on over my boots and take them off when I leave. They are too noisy and cumbersome to walk in. They also double as camp slippers when I make a midnight run.

I just went and got a pair of these. Looking forward to trying them out.

Merino is the best. Too thick and you'll sweat too much. Too many layers will constrict blood flow.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I use a decent pair of compression socks and a pair of rechargeable battery powdered socks. I turn the socks on when I get to the tree I’m climbing and the heat dries out the sweat. If it’s not super cold Darn Tough is my choice. Sometimes with compression socks underneath, they help with circulation and keep your feet pretty warm on their own.

Here’s your solution! Fresh Hand-warmer in each one every couple hours is amazing!