What temp ratingfor sleeping bag?

DuckDogDr

WKR
What temperature rating should I be looking at for a sleeping bag. I'll be going with the western mountaineering brand.

Thanks

It would depend on what time of year and the temps you plan on using it for. I have a 15 F bag. I tend do use it more of a blanket, fully unzipped in August while hunting sheep. It is perfect for September when the temps are above freezing for the most part. Once the temps drop below freezing I use a liner in it which seems to add about 10 degrees to the rating. I’m not familiar with Western Mountaineering brand but the “rating” can be a bit subjective from company to company. I definitely couldn’t sleep naked in mine in 15 F under the stars. Weight, bulk and price tend to increase the lower the bag is rated for.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I can say from my experience is that the Western Mountaineering bags are great and near true to the "rating" as being comfortable. Some other bags I've had were cold and the temp wasn't even close to the rating...

15 degrees is the sweet spot. I had a client that brought a 30 degree Kuiu bag one time and he had to borrow my puffy pants to sleep in, and that was on an early August sheep hunt.

Wapiti1

WKR
I've seen 0 and 15 degree bags used. My choice is a 15 degree quilt. I've taken a 15 degree full bag, but it was just extra bulk that isn't needed when you have an insulated pad.

Hood is nice, but really extra weight if you are already taking a fleece hoodie or stocking cap (toque, beanie, watchcap, etc). I sleep in my hoodie, and just pull the hood up. Come to think of it, I pretty much live in my hoodie when I'm in Alaska in the fall, but I've never been there in August, just mid-late Sept.

Jeremy

Is a hood on the bag needed?

This is very person dependent. Personally i feel like a lot of heat escapes from my neck/bald noggin if it's not sealed up with the body of the bag.

A lot of people are happy with quilts or hoodless bags and supplement with a hooded puffy or similar to keep their head warm. To me that creates uneven levels of insulation because your body now has a puffy and a bag insulated it and your head may only have a hood unless you have a hooded base layer and hooded puffy. It's just more comfortable and simple for me to have base layers on and have one consistent insulation layer (hooded bag).

For an early august AK sheep hunt, the alpinlite would be my first choice followed by the badger MF. A megalite might be enough if you are prepared to supplement with insulated clothes inside. If you're a skinny fella and not claustrophobic an ultralite would work too. a A guide with Johah's had been using a tattered old summerlite for years which is going really minimalist and I wouldn't recommend unless you know exactly what you're getting yourself into.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
15 degree. The western mountaineering badger is about as good as it gets.
I've looked at them. But like the extra room of the sequoia. Strongly considering taking a weight ding for the roomier bag.

Wapiti1 ..I tried the quilt ..once and only once. One of the worst weeks I've had in a long time. I learned the hard way I toss and turn overnight..and everytime I would drift off to sleep I would inadvertently roll over and expose my back and let my heat out. ..3 days of that and my hunting partner had to drive me to hospital treatment due to exposure

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
one other possible option :)

my plan for an August AK sheep hunt is a 30 degree Feathered Friends Flicker with a 50 degree MLD Apex quilt- together they bring a rating of ~ 10-15 degrees

it will accomplish a few things, one the syn quilt over top of the down will insure that the down will stay dry from moisture from your body and will help with any condensation from out

additionally I'll pack the 50 degree quilt with me day hunting- gives me a bivy option if you have to spend the night out (along with the puffy jacket/pants that will be along); the quilt has a "poncho" hole so I can drape it over me on longer, colder spotting sessions

FF Flicker weighs 22 oz, the MLD Spirit 50 quilt 12 oz, so 34 oz all in, pretty close to most 15 degree sleeping bags, but much more versatile

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
If you want to get the full temp rating you need to use the hood......I think quite a few people are claustrophobic and do not do that.
Zap it's not the hood that bothers me. It's the tight spaces and not being able to really move my feet or arms....I can tolerate a mummy bag for overnight sleeping when I'm exhausted and going to pass right out....and not as fat as I am now....

But if I was rained out and trying to entertain myself......then someone somewhere is going to need a xanax supply

Wapiti1

WKR
I've looked at them. But like the extra room of the sequoia. Strongly considering taking a weight ding for the roomier bag.

Wapiti1 ..I tried the quilt ..once and only once. One of the worst weeks I've had in a long time. I learned the hard way I toss and turn overnight..and everytime I would drift off to sleep I would inadvertently roll over and expose my back and let my heat out. ..3 days of that and my hunting partner had to drive me to hospital treatment due to exposure
Yeah, they aren't for everyone. I don't move much when sleeping.

Good luck in the search, lots of good experience shared on here.

Jeremy

*zap*

WKR
Zap it's not the hood that bothers me. It's the tight spaces and not being able to really move my feet or arms....I can tolerate a mummy bag for overnight sleeping when I'm exhausted and going to pass right out....and not as fat as I am now....

But if I was rained out and trying to entertain myself......then someone somewhere is going to need a xanax supply
Well, yeah you need to use the hood and zip up all the way....if the tightness bothers you there is a way around that. Get a roomier bag and sleep in the bag very often until you get used to it.

Wingert

FNG
I use the WM Sequoia on my sheep hunts and haven't been disappointed. Similarly I don't like the restriction of a true mummy bag and the Sequoia provides a balance between comfort and weight.

Buying through Hermit's Hut they provide free overfill in the bag at that time. I bought mine. I can always unzip it / open it up should I get hot.

When it gets really cold (and I've had the numerous snow storms occur on sheep hunts combined with high wind) I put on a stocking hat, which helps instead of using the hood.