What tripod should I look at?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d like to get a tripod to shoot off of, something that will let me get in really solid positions while I’m out.

I know nothing about these other than briefly messing with a big death grip which was neat but seemed sort of low end.

What companies should I look at? What do I need to research? What sort of interface is the best? Arca???

Thanks!!!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’d consider 28mm for the upper leg diameter as the minimum to shoot with, which only works for kneeling. 32mm uppers are noticeably stiffer. 4 section legs are nice and compact but slower to deploy, for dedicated shooting tripod I’d want less. No center column in apex is nice for stability.

The two or 3 section leg ones some manufacturers (leofoto, RRS) are making are quicker to deploy.

Leofoto will be cheaper for Black Friday, they are china knockoffs/copycats of RRS. The RRS Ascend is their glassing/shooting compact tripod, made for hunting. I don’t have any RRS experience. Closest Leofoto is an LS-284 or LQ-284, which I do have experience with. Friend of mine uses an LQ-324 that he can shoot standing with, removable center column, etc. It’s an RRS Ascend knockoff, just a tad bigger.

Last edited:

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a Revic backpacker model and it's pretty legit for a sitting/prone/kneeling setup. Might be a stretch for standing. Really lightweight though.

I've been told it's an orange version of something Leofoto makes, but I like it and got it cheaper than a Leofoto version.

MT_wyatt nailed it on criteria for leg sections/diameter

Leofoto, and I could be wrong on some brands but they are the OEM for almost everyone's tripod that's made in China. I've got over a year on my revic hunter tripod and it's been solid. No complaints it's not pretty anymore, lots of miles in a dusty SxS, it's been frozen and soaked and shot off hundreds of times, few animals killed off it and a NRL hunter match with it. So don't let the made in China part sway you.

It's heavy but I've learned to deal with it and it's the only tripod I use nowadays because of the versatility of it and stability it offers.

For attaching to a rifle arca is cool bc I'd assume your using arca for your glassing optics so that's a win. But some rifles including mine i have picatinny on the forend for my bipods. So for that I use a leofoto lsc-50 it's a copy of a RRS SC-arc clamp for bipods. The lsc-50 is made for tripod heads though. I can clamp into my front pic rail on a bolt gun, rear arca on certain bolt guns, my AR-15/10s have pic and arca, and I glass with arca. So far I haven't had a issue with it.

9563c16e5a34b645339d88ce8977f416.jpg

So in short a 3+ section, 4ish lb or less, 36mm ball head or bigger. Think leofoto LS series, the revic line, Leupold alpine or pro guide, two vets kit or ruck.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

The BEST value would be the Benro. Their tripods are rock solid and the heads are built to hold a lot of weight and kick back. Here are a couple of great options.
As a sponsor here we normally give 15% off to Rokslide members using the promo code bags23 BUT tomorrow through Cyber Monday call me at 516-217-1000 get 25% off on Benro. After that through Christmas eve, we will be giving you 20% off when you call in.

Thank you for the support!!!

This one has no center column so it's VERY sturdy

This is ideal for the bench

This model gives you more height

On another note, for glassing this is one of the most stable tripod and head combo's on the market and with the 25% off, the best deal on the market

Feel free to call us at the store at 516-217-1000. Happy to help you with any of your questions Today, 11/19 we are closed. I am in weekdays from 7:30-5:30 most days. We are closed Thanksgiving day

M-F we are there until 6:00, Saturday from 10-5 and starting 11/26-12/24 Sundays from 11:00-4:00, Christmas eve until 3:00

Have a Happy Thanksgiving

Joel

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
This ^^^^^^^^^^.
As Joel says, Benro tripods are very good. I've had mine now for a few years and I highly recommend the tortoise series. I primarily backpack hunt and mine is 3 pounds, 2 ounces WITH a RRS anvil 30 ballhead.
Easy to glass and shoot off of. You would have to bend over to shoot off of it if it was fully extended but it could be done. For kneeling, sitting or prone......it rocks.20231119_074256.jpg20231119_074009.jpg20231119_074124.jpg20230601_122442.jpg20221030_155724.jpgCH]

Randy20231109_161314.jpg

striped1

FNG
The Athalon are damn nice for the price point. I stuck a RRS anvil 30 on it for both arca and pic compatibility, Works great.

The Athalon are damn nice for the price point. I stuck a RRS anvil 30 on it for both arca and pic compatibility, Works great.
We have all of the Athlon tripods on sale for Black Friday, starting now

You can order from this link. Call us with any questions at 516-217-1000 starting tomorrow, Monday

Thank you

Joel

This ^^^^^^^^^^.
As Joel says, Benro tripods are very good. I've had mine now for a few years and I highly recommend the tortoise series. I primarily backpack hunt and mine is 3 pounds, 2 ounces WITH a RRS anvil 30 ballhead.
Easy to glass and shoot off of. You would have to bend over to shoot off of it if it was fully extended but it could be done. For kneeling, sitting or prone......it rocks.View attachment 629216View attachment 629217View attachment 629218View attachment 629220View attachment 629221CH]

RandyView attachment 629219
Thanks for the amazing post!!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
ARCA

It’s always a tradeoff for the tripod and head. For speed and stability nothing beats a two section with inverted legs for shooting and glassing. The adjustment is always within arms length and weight goes to legs.

You give up length, but that doesn’t matter to me. I hated making 9 total adjustments to extend my tripod while having to reach down. Doesn’t bother others, but it did me.

My total tripod weight is about 3.5 pounds. It also extends tall enough for me (6’2”) to glass off standing up.

057C0E68-1D76-4EBE-A8D2-D99C2FCF7C90.jpeg2EFD7701-85F0-432B-82E9-062D0718D547.jpeg8704659D-0200-4695-8318-5AA19FCC4E7A.jpeg

The options are dizzying..I researched as much as I could and ended up buying the ascend with center column and BH40 SCR head. I wanted lower weight but stability for a 600 yard shot (sitting). I also wanted a good glassing experience and the center column for glassing standing as well as switching between BTX and binos.

So far I feel like it was a great choice. I tried arca plate mounted in front of the magazine but did not like the ergonomics. Now I have a short 2” pic rail mounted in that spot and it’s much nicer to carry and locks in solid.

Either way you will need to practice with the tripod..I’m getting better and better but it’s definitely not as fast or easy compared to a bipod or shooting off your pack. But there are some situations where it’s the only way to make the shot without moving somewhere else.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The options are dizzying..I researched as much as I could and ended up buying the ascend with center column and BH40 SCR head. I wanted lower weight but stability for a 600 yard shot (sitting). I also wanted a good glassing experience and the center column for glassing standing as well as switching between BTX and binos.

So far I feel like it was a great choice. I tried arca plate mounted in front of the magazine but did not like the ergonomics. Now I have a short 2” pic rail mounted in that spot and it’s much nicer to carry and locks in solid.

Either way you will need to practice with the tripod..I’m getting better and better but it’s definitely not as fast or easy compared to a bipod or shooting off your pack. But there are some situations where it’s the only way to make the shot without moving somewhere else.
Worth a watch at least.

Worth a watch at least.

Seems like a great option. For my uses I’d be concerned with the head handing my 4lb btx smoothly, and being stable enough to shoot long distances from the tripod. But I have admittedly no experience with it so that is all speculation. Love the ability to use legs as trekking poles that is awesome.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Seems like a great option. For my uses I’d be concerned with the head handing my 4lb btx smoothly, and being stable enough to shoot long distances from the tripod. But I have admittedly no experience with it so that is all speculation. Love the ability to use legs as trekking poles that is awesome.
I used mine with a BTX and it worked fine, I can maybe even send you a video. BUT if you are giving up weight you are usually giving up something else. Yes, that head is about simplicity, weight loss, compatibility from shooting and glassing etc. If you are already hauling around a BTX, weight must not be to big of a concern? No way is that head going to work as smooth as say a good 500 dollar fluid head. I'm sure Joel above from Cameraland can put you onto the very best head available. This Davros will hold the BTX fine, just not going to be as smooth of glassing as a much heavier and bigger head. Heck it will hold a 20 pound rifle fine. They have a tripod I believe 17k rounds off a .50 BMG and still going strong . The Tripod itself will handle a 200 pound man hanging on it all day.

Figure out what's most important to you, weight, simplicity, durability, glassing ease, shooting ease, etc. I'm sure Joel has tons of insight, lot of those tripods are the same basic model made by a few different companies with different lipstick on them. Good luck

371503305_2050844605261873_4953084259174542977_n.jpg

The top dog brand of shooting tripods would be RRS but they also cost the most. Leofoto makes knockoffs of RRS stuff because their company is built on getting away with patent infringement but that does keep the cost of them down to like half of the RRS equivalents. Scummy business model though. Here's two questions to ask when considering a tripod.

1. What is your budget?
2. What is the most weight you're okay with it being? And length?

I personally went with a RRS TFCT-34L with an Anvil head for my shooting setup because I'm perfectly fine with it weighing 5.5 lbs but if you're pickier about weight, there are different TFCT variations with lower weights. If you go with an RRS you'll never have to wonder if you could upgrade it (at the same weight).

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
I have the RRS win Anvil 30 for PRS and it’s for sure better than the Leofoto of the same size. However, the RRS is heavy as hell and I don’t think it’s worth the price trade off unless you plan on shooting a lot of standing shots past 1000 or you hunt from a truck a lot.

The anvil also kinda sucks to glass from compared to a pan head. I’m probably going to buy a leofoto and put an outdoorsman’s pan head on it for backpack hunts and leave the RRS for truck and comps

The anvil also kinda sucks to glass from compared to a pan head
It does, look into the RRS PT-Scout. It's a pan head that clips right into the Anvil so you have that for glassing and can just unclip it to shoot from the Anvil.