What tripod should I look at?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Anyone know were you can by the Leofoto MA-30L now? or even the mbc-18?
It looks like they have done away with that head, and are coming out with a new version in April. Look at the "X-Series" and you'll find the refresh head.

Does anyone have a recommendation for lightweight shooting bag that would work in a pinch to throw over a pan head to shoot from a lightweight tripod? Think slik/wiser nighthawk combo. Would the molinator work for this?

T_Widdy

FNG
Any updates on this setup? What distances are you finding this effective for shooting?

I’m looking to get something for shooting 6-700 yds kneeling/sitting.
I use it sitting for coyote hunting and it works extremely well with lighter recoil rifles out to around 500 yds. The head is awesome.

If time allows I use a pack or trekking poles as a rear rest/support and I would say that’s a must if you’re hunting with it at 6-700 yds.

MJW

FNG
Any updates on this setup? What distances are you finding this effective for shooting?

I’m looking to get something for shooting 6-700 yds kneeling/sitting.
For shooting those kinds of distances you want something super sturdy. Not only the tripod but the ballhead as well. I use RRS and love it. My setup come in t 5.5 lbs and it never stays behind. All my rifles, binos and scopes are set up for ARCA. My tripod, which I bought when RRS first got into the shooting market, is a TVC33 and a BH55. Since then a lot more quality options have become available on the market. I still consider RRS at the top of the list but there are number of companies that pushing closer to their quality and value. TWO VETS is one of those companies! Value and quality. One last piece of advice, don’t skimp on the ball head! you can have the best tripod on the market but pair that with a cheap or lighter weight ball head and you have just compromised the whole shooting system.

Once you do jump in, Practice, practice practice! Learn how to use it and how to create stable shooting position. Here is a link with some pretty good reviews.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
For shooting those kinds of distances you want something super sturdy. Not only the tripod but the ballhead as well. I use RRS and love it. My setup come in t 5.5 lbs and it never stays behind. All my rifles, binos and scopes are set up for ARCA. My tripod, which I bought when RRS first got into the shooting market, is a TVC33 and a BH55. Since then a lot more quality options have become available on the market. I still consider RRS at the top of the list but there are number of companies that pushing closer to their quality and value. TWO VETS is one of those companies! Value and quality. One last piece of advice, don’t skimp on the ball head! you can have the best tripod on the market but pair that with a cheap or lighter weight ball head and you have just compromised the whole shooting system.

Once you do jump in, Practice, practice practice! Learn how to use it and how to create stable shooting position. Here is a link with some pretty good reviews.

Thanks for the advice. I was able to go to a store earlier today and I’m definitely getting the anvil 30 for a head. I also saw the Two Vets inverted tripod and thought it was awesome. Though I’m thinking I may go for the Fatboy 3 leg inverted tripod because the two leg seems too bulky for backpacking around in the mountains

Reactions: MJW
Thanks for the advice. I was able to go to a store earlier today and I’m definitely getting the anvil 30 for a head. I also saw the Two Vets inverted tripod and thought it was awesome. Though I’m thinking I may go for the Fatboy 3 leg inverted tripod because the two leg seems too bulky for backpacking around in the mountains
After a lot of tire kicking (between Fatboy, Two Vets and Leofoto) I ended up going with a Two Vets Recon V2i (3 section inverted). I found it the right mix of weight, height, quality and price. So far I’ve only shot off of it a couple times (using the 44mm TwoVets ball head and MA-30L) and is super steady. Its collapsed height and smaller diameter platform packs up nice for back country shenanigans. I’ll run the MA-30L (and to cut some weight), but it’s still nice for positional shooting at the range.

MJW

FNG
After a lot of tire kicking (between Fatboy, Two Vets and Leofoto) I ended up going with a Two Vets Recon V2i (3 section inverted). I found it the right mix of weight, height, quality and price. So far I’ve only shot off of it a couple times (using the 44mm TwoVets ball head and MA-30L) and is super steady. Its collapsed height and smaller diameter platform packs up nice for back country shenanigans. I’ll run the MA-30L (and to cut some weight), but it’s still nice for positional shooting at the range.
I think you will be very happy with your choice! They make a great Tripod!

seems like we just need RRS to build an inverted TFCT 13L with a lightened version of the anvil, no pic capability if that helps get it lighter.. [edit to add: after lookin more it seems what I’d really want for hunting is a TFCT 12ic. Basically the 22ic but with incorporated anvil and 1 series legs for weight savings. 22ic with added anvil weighs near the same as my TFCT 24L]

I’ve barely messed with them but the inverted setup seems notably quicker to setup. Was made more aware of how horseshit my ability to setup a tripod quickly is at a match this past weekend..

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
seems like we just need RRS to build an inverted TFCT 13L with a lightened version of the anvil, no pic capability if that helps get it lighter.. [edit to add: after lookin more it seems what I’d really want for hunting is a TFCT 12ic. Basically the 22ic but with incorporated anvil and 1 series legs for weight savings. 22ic with added anvil weighs near the same as my TFCT 24L]

I’ve barely messed with them but the inverted setup seems notably quicker to setup. Was made more aware of how horseshit my ability to setup a tripod quickly is at a match this past weekend..

I can see inverted legs playing a lot better in mud/dust/sand as well. I provided some feedback long ago before the 22ic came out that having something like that for hunting especially in snow would be great.

ID_Matt

WKR
I can see inverted legs playing a lot better in mud/dust/sand as well. I provided some feedback long ago before the 22ic came out that having something like that for hunting especially in snow would be great.

The big gamer tripods are starting to come around to the idea of inverted legs (two vets and RRS) and Tricer is making a hunting version. I am hoping someone will come out with a lightweight model that is a good cross over for hunting and shooting. Tricer has the center post which puts the base too high above the apex for shooting or using an anvil in my opinion. Two Vets just came out with "the voyager" that I think would be about perfect crossover for hunting/shooting if it had inverted legs. I have the two vets recon inverted for my NRL/PRS tripod. Not having to reach all the way down to make leg length adjustments on the clock is a big deal to me now