What was the first available Kifaru pack?

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone. Just curious as to more of the history of the Kifaru line of packs. I have read a lot of Patrick Smith’s writing, but haven’t found any reference as to what the original Kifaru pack was that was available for sale to the public. I know Mr Smith had Mountain Smith prior to Kifaru. Anyone able to discuss the lineage? Thank you. -Rufus

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
Id love to see some more history information on their site regarding past packs and gear they offered. A few of the old catalogs can be found online but having them all in 1 place would be great when you come across some old items and arent sure what they are

May not answer the OP, but what a great success story!

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
May not answer the OP, but what a great success story!

Hey Trophyhill.
Thanks for that article. I have read it before and is nice to read it again. It really is awesome, the things Patrick Smith has done. He and Dana Gleason from Mystery Ranch kinda got us all here, to where we currently are with premium hunting packs. Thanks. -Rufus

Hey Trophyhill.
Thanks for that article. I have read it before and is nice to read it again. It really is awesome, the things Patrick Smith has done. He and Dana Gleason from Mystery Ranch kinda got us all here, to where we currently are with premium hunting packs. Thanks. -Rufus
Quite welcome! When I read that i knew I had made the right decisions on my pack selections. Hunting packs designed by a great big game hunter. It really is a great story. And Mr Snyder is carrying on the legacy. I’d like to see his story one day too as his is another great success story.

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Rhunter got it pretty close. The first product to my knowledge was the Longhunter frame, followed by the Longhunter bag, lid and Cargo Chair. The Spike camp, Daystalker, Rucksack (internal frame panel loader) and Lumbar Pack followed that. One of the early products was the Rambling Rifle, not sure if that was one of the initial products or followed up. Patrick always had 4-5 projects going at once so its hard to tell which came first.

sivart

WKR
Patrick's duplex frame revolutionized the pack industry IMO. I still have two longhunters. There are parts of that frame that I prefer to the current frames now. specifically the shoulder straps. They are softer, quieter, and thinner. Patrick is the John Browning of pack makers.

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Rhunter got it pretty close. The first product to my knowledge was the Longhunter frame, followed by the Longhunter bag, lid and Cargo Chair. The Spike camp, Daystalker, Rucksack (internal frame panel loader) and Lumbar Pack followed that. One of the early products was the Rambling Rifle, not sure if that was one of the initial products or followed up. Patrick always had 4-5 projects going at once so its hard to tell which came first.
Hi Mr Bender.
Oh yes, I remember reading about the longhunter with the panels for camo or blaze. At the time, I wanted one so bad, but couldn’t afford it. I remember the rambling rifle also. Actually got to look at one at a cabelas in Nebraska a few years ago. Very cool.

Thank you for chiming in on this. I think I can speak for many of us on here that we really enjoy your “projects “ also. Thanks again. -Rufus.

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Patrick's duplex frame revolutionized the pack industry IMO. I still have two longhunters. There are parts of that frame that I prefer to the current frames now. specifically the shoulder straps. They are softer, quieter, and thinner. Patrick is the John Browning of pack makers.
Hi Sivart.
I never got to see a longhunter system in person. Do you happen to know (approximately) the capacity? Just curious. Thanks. -Rufus

BAKPAKR

WKR
I still have a Longhunter Guide bag with the fleece panels, a Cargo Chair, and a bunch of fleece pockets. I put a Timberline 3 on the original frame for exercise. I also have a Late Season with the fleece panels. I sure am glad Kifaru finally decided to offer colors other than black.

Do you happen to know how the X-Ray pack got it's name?

sivart

WKR
Hi Sivart.
I never got to see a longhunter system in person. Do you happen to know (approximately) the capacity? Just curious. Thanks. -Rufus
Rufus, it is listed as 5200. I had plenty of room for 5-7 day backcountry hunts. Has a large removable top lid for dayhunting from spike camp.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite hunting pack is my original Siwash, absolutely love it, the only problem is the belt is pretty much worn out and not real comfortable with weight anymore. I also have an original Spike Camp that I like for shorter trips but I plan on being buried with that Siwash.

MtnMuley

WKR
My first Kifaru was in 2001 I believe. Called a longhunter I think even back then. Name stitched on the lid. I got mossy oak camo velcro panels and a couple years later got a set of blaze orange for rifle seasons when needed. All black and had the cargo chair. Several 100# pack trips and I'd say I sold a dozen guys on em within a couple years. Now days I own 6 different Kifaru packs and love em all.